shape
carat
color
clarity

Birks Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I''m new here and first wanted to say thanks to all the folks posting such great info.

I was looking for Birks "blue" diamond in size between .7 & .9 ct. Accepting the fact that I''m willing to pay for the branding, I''m finding they have hardly anything in the G color VS1 clarity range. The ring I''m looking at is .80 ct H SI1 for $9175 cdn. A search on the computer found only one VS1. I guess they rely mostly on a quality cut rather than higher color & clarity?

I was in Mississauga. Seemed like there were some VS1''s at the Yorkville store, but the computer didn''t list any when I was in Mississauga. What''s up with that? Does the computer not show what all the stores have?

The salesman says there is never much in a size >= .80 ct and < 1 ct. That 1 ct is a big price jump, and cutters always try to get to that size because of it. I suspect it''s more what they choose to carry rather than supply.

Any insights appreciated. Thx.

Z.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I'm Canadian, and I have to say that the price you quote makes me gasp. I've been hanging around Pricescope for quite a while, and I hate seeing another Canadian pay these kinds of prices. That's a lot of money for a diamond that doesn't even make it anywhere near to the one carat price jump, and is H SI-1 to boot. Are you really, really determined to get that setting? I mean, it's a lovely setting, I admit. But it would be so easy for a good jeweller to make this setting. You say you're willing to pay for branding, but in this case, it just seems so steep.

For example, I have a friend who got engaged last year, and when I looked at her ring, I said, "Cool. Is it from Birks?" Because the setting was sooo similar. And she said that no it wasn't, it was a custom copy, but which changed the design feature of the sapphires on the sides in favour of two canary yellow diamonds. The ring was beautiful, and I would have been proud to wear it myself.

With a simple search using the "search by cut quality" feature, I found that with $9000 dollars Canadian, from a Pricescope vendor you could get a ONE CARAT H SI-1 for about $5500 American or so, leaving lots of money left over for a beautiful custom setting (Whiteflash does lovely custom work, by the way). In fact, my own one carat hearts and arrows H VS-2 cost a little bit less than your budget with a platinum setting. And it's a heck of a stone, I assure you.

Or else you could get the 0.7-0.8 size you mentioned (but with potentially better clarity), but only pay between 2500-3500 American plus the setting, depending on the different variables.

If you're set on buying at Birks, then that's cool. Just wanted to offer up some options. But don't settle for a stone that doesn't speak to you just because they don't have exactly what you're looking for.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Like Daniela, I am alarmed at the price you have been quoted. Since you are in the Toronto area, are you aware of the building at 21 Dundas Square, very close to the Eaton's centre? This building contains a large number of vendors, many of whom specialize in diamonds and the fabrication of custom jewellery. The ground floor has several different stalls where some people offer finished pieces. The other floors have small workshops and so on, many of whom offer stones for sale. I have a personal favourite in that building, if you want to PM me - I can send the info to you. You will be able to get a very nice diamond there (in the cut, size, color, clarity range you are looking for), without much trouble. There are some other advantages to getting your stone in this place that I can discuss with you as well. In general, you need to make an appointment with one of the jewellers in that building, tell them what you are looking for, and they will get stones from their sources in the size you want in time for your appointment. There will be more than 1 to choose from, and you won't get the Birk's run-around, essentially locking you into purchasing what they already have in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results