shape
carat
color
clarity

Birks Blue Knife Edge Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kevin2005

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I''m in the process of buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend. We originally looked together and found the band she wanted at Birks (Birks Blue Knife Edge Band). Then I found this site! I didn''t realise how overpriced Birks was. The price of the ring with a .58 H SI1 is $8100! Much more than searching here.

So, my question is: is there somewhere I could buy a very similar band? I''ve attached a picture. I''d prefer to find a site or store in Canada, but am willing to order from the US as well, as it seems I will still save a ton (or be able to get a better diamond).

Many thanks,
Kevin.

kevinblue.jpg

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Assuming that the dark spot in the picture is a small diamond flush set into the head. You did not mention wg or platinum? In wg you should be able to buy that ring for around $1400-$1700, in Plat from $1600 to $1900. For $8100? What am I missing? Honeymoon trip included?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The setting looks very very similar to Vatche's "surprise diamond" setting except with a sapphire. Check www.dvatche.com. If you need any assistance there are a few vendors here that carry the line who can help.

Kevin2005

Rough_Rock
Sorry, it's white gold (although I'm not completely against platinum). The dark spot is a saphire.

The band itself isn't overly expensive - it's the diamond prices at birks that are outrageous (and you can't buy the band without the diamond).

I like the Vatche Surprise. Thanks for the info. Do you know what vendors carry it? The models on the site don't show the knife edge version with a round diamond. Do you know if that's available?

Thanks!

Brocksgirl24

Rough_Rock
Hi, I know exactly what you mean. I fell in love with the Birks knife edge band too but holy cow, are their diamonds overpriced! After looking at the mall, I decided to do some research online which is how I landed here. I was referred to www.usacerteddiamonds.com and there I found Martin. My BF and I met with him after telling him what we wanted, and we are now in the process of having the perfect ring made! We're getting a .91 G SI1 IDEAL cut diamond in a 14kt white gold knife edge setting for CDN $5900. True, it doesnt have the little sapphire on the inside, but its just as beautiful as the Birks setting. So...you dont mention where you live but if its anywhere in the Greater Toronto Area, I recommend you visit him. Hope this helps!

Kevin2005

Rough_Rock
I'm in Waterloo so I may give Martin a call. Thanks!

Did he provide you with a setting as well? His website isn't the greatest. Are the prices given there the actual prices or is there importing, luxury, etc. taxes added on? What % did that add?

Brocksgirl24

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure if this is how it works for everyone, but we just spoke over the phone and told him the specifications we wanted and our budget. He said he would have a few to show us and we made a Saturday morning appointment. He showed us a few diamonds and we chose ours. There was no luxury tax to pay because the diamond was already in Canada. Martin doesnt do the settings himself but he had some there to show us (including the knife edge!) and he has someone else for that job. It was really all too easy, it was great.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does say it comes in a knife edge version. Click on the "princess" and "emerald" links

533_xlarge.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I ordered from Martin and got a gorgous diamond for an amazing price. The website really is not very good...I wish he'd make some changes, but try to ignore it. He is truly professional and will find you a great diamond at a price lower than anyone else (he advertises that he can beat anyone's price) There was nothing added on to the price for me (I'm in the U.S), in fact I talked him down slightly. Good luck, I have never been to Birks but .58 H ring for $8100, makes me sick!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2004 1:16:11 PM
Author: Kevin2005

The band itself isn't overly expensive - it's the diamond prices at Birks that are outrageous (and you can't buy the band without the diamond).

... that makes a complicated explanation of the same outrageous total cost!
23.gif

I like the Vatche Surprise. Thanks for the info. Do you know what vendors carry it? The models on the site don't show the knife edge version with a round diamond. Do you know if that's available?

Perhaps not all shops that carry Vatche rings have every model in-store at any time, but you can always ask. Only not in a post because on this forum sellers cannot advertise their goods. Unless a buyer happened to be looking for the exact same thing recently, you will miss the right info.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I really like that vatche posted by JulieN! I think they make a plain knife edge band too if you prefer that with the surprise diamond. You may be able to get something made custom for about the same price as the designer setting as well. If you go custom most of them seem to prefer to work in plat than wg.

HeeBeeGB

Rough_Rock
Another fellow canuck here and your probably going through the same thing i went through. You can check out www.diamondexchange.ca, www.diacan.com, www.canadadiamonds.com, and www.canadian-diamonds-wholesale.com. I think those are the heavy hitters in Canada. Bluenile.ca promotes themself to be canadian but i think you have to convert from US prices, add exise tax, add PST + GST. I decided to go with a Canadian based vendor because of the whole 10% import tax thing(no longer in effect, but Revenue Canada doesnt recognize it yet.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results