shape
carat
color
clarity

Better Prong Setting: Platinum or 19K White with Palladium?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hello

I went to a jeweller and I was told 19K white gold setting is better than a Platinum setting.
He stated that the Platinum setting over 5 to 10 years will change color to look like the antique color.
He stated that the 19K white gold will never change color and is just as strong.

Any comments on this?
Which setting is better for the long run and which is stronger?

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know about the strength issue, but I am jealous that you have access to 19K gold. If it was more readily available in the US, I would have gotten it instead of platinum (I think). Maybe I just buy into the marketing, though. There have been some posts on PS that state that 19K is whiter looking and scratches less than platinum, and never needs to be rhodium plated. Also less expensive, I would think.
10.gif

yes i believe white gold is a little cheaper than platinum

but i am still not sure which one is better to use for the prongs......anyone know the answer?

antonia

Rough_Rock
Platinum is a strong metal, and is rare that is why its more expensive and generally why people choose to set the prongs in platium because of the strength of the metal.

I have no idea about 19k white gold sorry.

Platinum is grayer than white gold... but I like the grey look.

Good luck!

I like both the grey and white look.....so my decision will be based on which is better....anyone care to share their opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results