shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Ultrasonic Cleaner?

merk0909

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I'm on the market for the best ultrasonic cleaner out there. I've been cleaning my engagement ring daily on my own, but nothing compares to the monthly cleanings I get when I bring it in to the store! I know the fact that I sleep with my ring on a lot doesn't help... but I love it!!!

My daily cleaning regimen includes the following:
1) put a drop of dawn in a shot glass with warm water and my ring
2) let it soak for a bit (timing varies depending on what i'm doing, sometimes it soaks for 2 minutes and sometimes 30 minutes)
3) turn on the warm/hot water and fill the glass so it's overflowing with my ring in it, so it rinses until the water runs clear (no more suds)
4) fish out my ring and blow it off with canned air
5) place my ring in a second shot glass with rubbing alcohol
6) let it soak for a bit (again timing varies from 2-30 minutes)
7) fish it out and blow it off again with canned air to dry
8) place on my finger!!!

Even with all this the underside of my ring gets dirty around week 2-3, and then I take it to get professionally cleaned at week 4 and it's AMAZING! I think adding a step of scrubbing it with a soft toothbrush is just too much. I know that may sound ridiculous with everything else but at this point I think (hope) an ultrasonic will be the answer.

Sooooo if anybody has any suggestions on an amazing one I'm all ears, I know this is the place to ask.

Thanks in advance!!!

merk0909

Rough_Rock

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi merk--we have a Quantrex L/R, bought it on a jewelry supply website. It works great & does have a heater so you can heat the water (if desired) as it cleans--I chose something more sturdy after going through a couple of others.

Also bought some cleaning solution that is the best I've tried. Have to add that I also use the steamer on the espresso machine. :bigsmile:

Here are the links to both:

Ultrasonic link:

http://www.gesswein.com/p-9155-lr-quantrex-ultrasonics-2-quarts-to-26-quarts.aspx?cpagenum=&sortfield=&sortdirection=&perpage=

Solution link:
http://www.gesswein.com/p-3613-gesswein-brite-solution.aspx?cpagenum=&sortfield=&sortdirection=&perpage=

_22155.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarah...That is a very nice US cleaner.. :appl: IMO ...don't waste your money on those cheap Chinese made US cleaners, b/c they'll leak/crack then die within a few months. The only way to go is American or European made with a S/S tank. You don't necessary need a heated unit (just use hot water with the solution) unless your cleaning a lot of pieces and would like to keep the water hot for a longer period of time.

Mine is a 1 Qt GemOro with heat.

_22160.jpg

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Don't get the one from Brookstone. It was given to me as a gift and my pave diamonds regularly popped out of my setting and ended up in the solution. I ended up having my ring remade and didn't have this problem again, but I switched to soaking my ring nightly in Mr. Clean and scrubbing with a soft toothbrush. Just be careful that you don't have a delicate setting. You may be able to achieve the results that you are looking for by adding a toothbrush to the equation.

merk0909

Rough_Rock
sarahb|1410313031|3748148 said:
Hi merk--we have a Quantrex L/R, bought it on a jewelry supply website. It works great & does have a heater so you can heat the water (if desired) as it cleans--I chose something more sturdy after going through a couple of others.

Also bought some cleaning solution that is the best I've tried. Have to add that I also use the steamer on the espresso machine. :bigsmile:

Here are the links to both:

Ultrasonic link:

http://www.gesswein.com/p-9155-lr-quantrex-ultrasonics-2-quarts-to-26-quarts.aspx?cpagenum=&sortfield=&sortdirection=&perpage=

Solution link:
http://www.gesswein.com/p-3613-gesswein-brite-solution.aspx?cpagenum=&sortfield=&sortdirection=&perpage=

Dancing Fire|1410321049|3748197 said:
Sarah...That is a very nice US cleaner.. :appl: IMO ...don't waste your money on those cheap Chinese made US cleaners, b/c they'll leak/crack then die within a few months. The only way to go is American or European made with a S/S tank. You don't necessary need a heated unit (just use hot water with the solution) unless your cleaning a lot of pieces and would like to keep the water hot for a longer period of time.

Thanks Sarah and Dancing Fire! These are more what I was thinking. At this point I just have my engagement ring which is a classic solitaire in platinum, and will be most likely be adding a channel set wedding band in May - also in platinum. With just those two pieces which size would you say is good in the units you recommended? Also... I have some silver jewelry that looks godawful at this point (a few david yurman bangles, some with stones.) Would you say that it would be ok putting them in the ultrasonic as well?

Karl_K|1410322641|3748206 said:
best of the best hmmm likely crest.
http://www.amazon.com/Crest-CP200HT-CP200-HT-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heat/dp/B0064I9QD4/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1410322476&sr=1-2&keywords=Crest+Ultrasonic+Cleaner-Heat+%26+Timer

I would bet that one there and its larger cousins are in more jewelers than any other brand.

Hi Karl, thanks for your response! Do you think the size you linked would be good for just a few (2) rings? I'm happy to pay the premium for it (lord knows we did for my ring) so thanks so much for your help!

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: I'm pretty sure this is my first topic here (I've been a lurker for a while) and I appreciate all the responses! You guys are amazing! My Finance thinks I'm a little nuts for how much I clean my ring... when I showed him the pictures of the non-plastic ultrasonics he said "Yep, that looks like it'll be right up your ally" ha!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually don't use one anymore. I can get my rings just as clean by hand and or with a steamer.

I have a few routines that I alternate based on what I have going on:
One is that I wash my hands with Method dishsoap, then spray Windex (ONLY a good idea on plat) and rinse well, then dry well and wipe down with 91% alcohol on a paper towel. I also keep a bottle of the Everyday version of the Sparkle Sparkle near my kitchen sink and some days I use that instead of Windex.

Other times I wash my hands with Method dish soap, then spray Platinum Sparkle Sparkle or that purple stuff, use the little brushes, rinse, spray again, rinse. Then remove them from my hand over a soft surface (usually the guest bed) and one ring at a time will spray say the e-ring, and count to about 30. Then I rinse again, and then spray again, lightly brush again, then rinse and spray again, and rinse and dry the e-ring really well, twisting the dry corners of a paper towel to get under the stone, then wipe with an alcohol dabbed dry paper towel then put it away. Then I dry the plain band and then put it away. Then I spray the diamond band really well, count to 30. Kinda poke a tiny brush in the holes under the stone, rinse well, spray again, rinse well. Dry really well, blow dry under the stones. Then I wipe it all down with another alcohol dampened dry paper towel. Then put it away.

Other times I bust out the steamer and distilled water. I'll wash my hands with the dishsoap, spray with one of the spray cleaners, rinse well, and then dry well. Then I take the rings off over the guest bed and one by one will steam them. I spend the most time steaming the wedding band because gunk and skin bits get under those stones in the little holes.

Other days I'll soak them in individual glass Pyrex ramekins of method dish soap and mr clean and warm distilled water. Rinse well in clean distilled water, then spray with one of the spray cleaners, and then another rinse of clean distilled water. Dry really well.

If I am in a serious hurry I will just wipe them down with a Well-Kept phone wipe or a paper towel with a little alcohol on them.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemOra Sparkle Spa SS1780

I've got a 2nd one too - but it's off site - I'll try to look it up.

My solitaire and especially all my channel set eternities really look better. I did a thread about this once.Sometimes I would think perhaps my rings weren't as nice as I thought, b/c I do clean them in other ways, then I put them in the US - and AH-Ha!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would clean it by hand unless you are cleaning a lot of pieces at the same time, but if you decided to buy one then buy the smallest non heated model made in the U.S.A.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"I have some silver jewelry that looks godawful at this point (a few david yurman bangles, some with stones.) Would you say that it would be ok putting them in the ultrasonic as well?"

merk, welcome to PS, & enjoy the ride!

For me, I don't put my silver in the ultrasonic. I have a ton of Native American silver, & I use either Hagerty or Wrights. Both cream or spray depending on the piece.

The tarnishing in silver is due to a chemical reaction as a result of exposure to air rather than adherence of gunk, like in our rings etc. I store all my silver in airtight ziplock bags to help retard the tarnishing. I've never put it in the ultrasonic, as I'm afraid of possible reactions to the cleaning solution. You can find silver polish in the grocery store in the cleaning aisle & don't use toothpaste, it's abrasive--silver is really soft.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

DF: I went through a few as well. I thought, enough of this & went & purchased the SS model. It is really the best investment over time, spend the budget once & be done with it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1410364192|3748402 said:

DF: I went through a few as well. I thought, enough of this & went & purchased the SS model. It is really the best investment over time, spend the budget once & be done with it.
It is cheaper in the long run b/c the American made ones will last forever. TBH ..I don't really use the US that often unless I am cleaning a lot of pieces at the same time.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Isn't that the truth: I don't use the US daily or even monthly now either--I usually brush with my solution then steam with my espresso wand. It turns out amazing. However, I do want to give the bracelets a whirl in the US. One of these days.... :wavey:

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
I get very good results with brushing with a soapy toothbrush and running under hot water. I do this every day if not a few times a day just before going out to enjoy my solitaire at it's best. I really do think it makes a big difference and I'm used to seeing it this way so if there's the slightest film or dirt I can sure see it and it really bothers me. This cleaning takes about 30 seconds and although I do have alcohol for the finishing step, I usually skip it. Sometimes, I'll finish with alcohol on special occasions ;-)

I just wanted to mention this because I would totally get an US if I wasn't happy with my toothbrush process. Perhaps, as my ring gets more worn I'll need to, but I'm hoping I can put off or avoid this purchase. I do have a steamer for cleaning/sanitizing and use it when I fire it up for other things before it runs of steam.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You did not tell us what type of ER you have, if you have pave, I would not use it unless you want the little stones to start popping out.

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
WillyDiamond|1410380277|3748601 said:
...if you have pave, I would not use it unless you want the little stones to start popping out.

Is steam a safe choice with pavé? I'm not actually even clear on whether my 0.01ct side stones count as such, but I'd guess so..

merk0909

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I'll try to go through and respond to each relevant post to me but thought this general response would cover a lot...

Thanks for your advice! I mentioned in an earlier post (not the original post) but I have a classic solitaire setting and will most likely be pairing it with a channel set band come May. I don't own a lot of nice jewelry, I would never wear it, but I am obsessed with my ring =D

After reading through all of your responses it sounds like I need to just add a toothbrush to my equation. It's mostly the pavillion I've had trouble cleaning over time and I think the toothbrush is what will get into all those hard to reach places. I guess I've always worried about taking the the toothbrush to my ring, and possibly damaging the setting/metal (platinum 6 prong solitaire) but I need to just get over it.

Thanks again for all your input it's so helpful! If the toothbrush doesn't do the trick for me I'll go with a small high-end ultrasonic cleaner (or take up drinking espresso for the steam! or both!!!) I'll also be sure to pick up some silver cleaner to get those pieces sparkling again.

merk0909

Rough_Rock
ame|1410354486|3748312 said:
I actually don't use one anymore. I can get my rings just as clean by hand and or with a steamer.

I have a few routines that I alternate based on what I have going on:
One is that I wash my hands with Method dishsoap, then spray Windex (ONLY a good idea on plat) and rinse well, then dry well and wipe down with 91% alcohol on a paper towel. I also keep a bottle of the Everyday version of the Sparkle Sparkle near my kitchen sink and some days I use that instead of Windex.

Other times I wash my hands with Method dish soap, then spray Platinum Sparkle Sparkle or that purple stuff, use the little brushes, rinse, spray again, rinse. Then remove them from my hand over a soft surface (usually the guest bed) and one ring at a time will spray say the e-ring, and count to about 30. Then I rinse again, and then spray again, lightly brush again, then rinse and spray again, and rinse and dry the e-ring really well, twisting the dry corners of a paper towel to get under the stone, then wipe with an alcohol dabbed dry paper towel then put it away. Then I dry the plain band and then put it away. Then I spray the diamond band really well, count to 30. Kinda poke a tiny brush in the holes under the stone, rinse well, spray again, rinse well. Dry really well, blow dry under the stones. Then I wipe it all down with another alcohol dampened dry paper towel. Then put it away.

Other times I bust out the steamer and distilled water. I'll wash my hands with the dishsoap, spray with one of the spray cleaners, rinse well, and then dry well. Then I take the rings off over the guest bed and one by one will steam them. I spend the most time steaming the wedding band because gunk and skin bits get under those stones in the little holes.

Other days I'll soak them in individual glass Pyrex ramekins of method dish soap and mr clean and warm distilled water. Rinse well in clean distilled water, then spray with one of the spray cleaners, and then another rinse of clean distilled water. Dry really well.

If I am in a serious hurry I will just wipe them down with a Well-Kept phone wipe or a paper towel with a little alcohol on them.

ame - this is the best response ever, I love pricescope! Thanks so much for the detail! I've read in a few past posts about Sparkle Sparkle but what's the "purple stuff" you referenced?

merk0909

Rough_Rock
motownmama|1410356094|3748327 said:
GemOra Sparkle Spa SS1780

I've got a 2nd one too - but it's off site - I'll try to look it up.

My solitaire and especially all my channel set eternities really look better. I did a thread about this once.Sometimes I would think perhaps my rings weren't as nice as I thought, b/c I do clean them in other ways, then I put them in the US - and AH-Ha!

motowmama - how often do you use the US? I never thought I'd be this obsessive over keeping my diamond clean but it just drives me crazy to see gunk start to build up. And it really is amazing how much better a clean diamond looks and sparkles!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results