shape
carat
color
clarity

Best OEC <$4k

travist223

Shiny_Rock
I know I have another lengthy thread, but in an effort to consolidate advice from you well respected PSers, I'm soliciting opinions on your favorite OEC stone available for under $4k.

Rules:

1) post a link to your candidate for best OEC under $4,000
2) if you agree with a previous post, quote it and add "+1"
3) stone must be currently for sale

And.... Begin scouring the vast recesses of the internets!

Thanks for all you do.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you be more specific you say the best OEC for under $4000.00 what if it has a setting or do you have your own setting? Can it be increased if it has a setting so up to x or y and what colour preference are we talking about?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1397705245|3654798 said:
Can you be more specific you say the best OEC for under $4000.00 what if it has a setting or do you have your own setting? Can it be increased if it has a setting so up to x or y and what colour preference are we talking about?

he has a setting picked out. Loose stone. Around 6mm or larger would be best.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.K are we looking for a white OEC a mid coloured OEC or anything colourwise at all?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1397707408|3654825 said:
O.K are we looking for a white OEC a mid coloured OEC or anything colourwise at all?

I personally would say L or better, but the OP seems to be wary of lower colors not having seen them in person. So ... do your best to get highest color you can find.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam has a lot of stones in this price range listed but many don't currently have photos and I like to have pics when looking for an OEC. He is really slow at emails so I would phone him and tell him what you are looking for he has a great stash of stuff not listed as well he will give two or three options and then the OP can hopefully link a video or pics and we can decide from there;

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/contact.php

I looked at Grace's and Erica's sites and they don't currently have much but they also have new things coming in all the time and they can also source something as well, email Grace and ask and Erica and ask;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/about-us/

For what it's worth I think you will have the most luck with Adam because he has the largest inventory of the three.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can't just OECs from their numbers.

Just call and ask Adam for the brightest and nicest OEC he has at or close to 6mm and 4000 or less.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
travist223|1397709363|3654842 said:
this one is intriguing....not sure, but the measurements look OK? and the price doesn't seem terrible..

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.php?ID=1947&SHAPE=EU

The numbers actually look dreadful. Huge table and shallow for an OEC. It's got good spead though, but probably at the expense of performance. I am no expert, and agree you need to use your eyes when it comes to old cuts but the numbers alone on this would probably rule it out for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This guy has a knack for getting his hands on gorgeous stones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-European-Cut-diamond-80CT-SI-H-Color-5-83mm-/371031089895?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item56632d22e7 this one looks very promising. Even if it ends up being an I or J once you send it for a certificate it's has potential to be a nice deal. He takes offers. I would ask for close up shots of the stones.

He also has this one. I'd ask for pics of them both: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-European-Cut-Diamond-75ct-Clarity-VS-Color-G-H-Measurement-5-83mm-/371032604940?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item566344410c

And this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-European-Cut-Diamond-94-Carat-Clarity-VS-1-color-I-1-15mm-/171237473094?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item27de8c7b46 Potentially really nice.

If he will send you close ups of all three so we can see the faceting, any of them would be a great stone for you.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
misskittycat|1397772307|3655212 said:
I'm wondering if any PS'er has dealt with them? There are a couple of discrepancies between the listing text & the tag on the ring:
- listing says mounting is 18K WG, tag says platinum (I couldn't discern a stamping re either metal as the ring was turning around in the video)
- listing says OEC center stone is 1.74 ct., the tag says 1.38 ct
(I couldn't make out anything about color on the tag)

Those may be simple mistakes in drawing up the listing; that can happen & the vendor's Return Policy & Our Guarantee sections could use some tighter proofreading as well. But a retailers "sticker price" (albeit one not touted in the listing itself) that's nearly 5 times the BIN price is the kind of thing that makes my eyeballs roll.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Good catch Molly! The tag in the video also says "GIA" so maybe the OP can ask for a cert number?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree. I think the tag is probably right, given the size of the stone and the proportions. Plus the price. But even with the 1.3 size and the 18k it's a stunning ring at a great price. ESPECIALLY if it has a GIA report already.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've looked at his listings a number of times before. There were several things that didn't feel right and I passed on dealing with him.
But someone might get lucky.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1397785515|3655312 said:
I've looked at his listings a number of times before. There were several things that didn't feel right and I passed on dealing with him.

I don't believe in good luck on ebay. I believe in trusting your instincts and that if something looks too good to be true, then it is.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1397780580|3655279 said:
misskittycat|1397772307|3655212 said:
I'm wondering if any PS'er has dealt with them? There are a couple of discrepancies between the listing text & the tag on the ring:
- listing says mounting is 18K WG, tag says platinum (I couldn't discern a stamping re either metal as the ring was turning around in the video)
- listing says OEC center stone is 1.74 ct., the tag says 1.38 ct
(I couldn't make out anything about color on the tag)

Those may be simple mistakes in drawing up the listing; that can happen & the vendor's Return Policy & Our Guarantee sections could use some tighter proofreading as well. But a retailers "sticker price" (albeit one not touted in the listing itself) that's nearly 5 times the BIN price is the kind of thing that makes my eyeballs roll.

I visited that seller on behalf of a friend's friend, and he's legit. The 1.38ct is the one I looked at, and my friend's friend purchased it. It had a GIA report. Everything checked out, and the diamond was gorgeous. That said, he's obviously using the same pictures and videos... probably just too lazy. If you are interested in the other ones, email him and ask for actual pictures. The other oecs may not look this good. If you go to any of the vendors in downtown LA, the sticker price is always ridiculous compared to their actual price.

sparkly_blonde

Rough_Rock
Try going pawn shopping! I bought my 1.06, I, VVS2, 6.3mm OEC cut (had it appraised after I bought it) for $600. She is a fireball! :D You never know what you will stumble upon.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sparkly_blonde|1397798219|3655390 said:
Try going pawn shopping! I bought my 1.06, I, VVS2, 6.3mm OEC cut (had it appraised after I bought it) for $600. She is a fireball! :D You never know what you will stumble upon.

He's in Nor Cal.

I've been pawn shopping out here. A whole lot of crap. But there is a jeweler in San Mateo, that might be able to find some decent OECs.

I could meet up there or call them and see what they have, and if there's anything worth seeing... go from there.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1397788396|3655338 said:
I visited that seller on behalf of a friend's friend, and he's legit. The 1.38ct is the one I looked at, and my friend's friend purchased it. It had a GIA report. Everything checked out, and the diamond was gorgeous. That said, he's obviously using the same pictures and videos... probably just too lazy. If you are interested in the other ones, email him and ask for actual pictures. The other oecs may not look this good. If you go to any of the vendors in downtown LA, the sticker price is always ridiculous compared to their actual price.

I am the first friend FK mentioned above. She was kind enough to check out the diamond for me.

The seller was great - honest and responsive. The ring is beautiful and the diamond as FK mentioned is gorgeous. All the pictures and diamond is of the actual ring I purchased. It came with a GIA certificate and everything checked out perfectly. The new diamonds don't have a GIA certificate.

The ring itself is beautiful - I wore the ring for a day and got compliments left, right and center (my own ring never got these many compliments). Is it perfecto like some of the more expensive rings here ... no ... but it was nice enough. The ring is handmade.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1397786076|3655319 said:
Jimmianne|1397785515|3655312 said:

I don't believe in good luck on ebay. I believe in trusting your instincts and that if something looks too good to be true, then it is.
I totally agree. Lucky as in a one in a million lottery winner :lol:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1397788396|3655338 said:
I visited that seller on behalf of a friend's friend, and he's legit. The 1.38ct is the one I looked at, and my friend's friend purchased it. It had a GIA report. Everything checked out, and the diamond was gorgeous. That said, he's obviously using the same pictures and videos... probably just too lazy. * * *
CharmyPoo|1397802823|3655405 said:
I am the first friend FK mentioned above. She was kind enough to check out the diamond for me.

The seller was great - honest and responsive. The ring is beautiful and the diamond as FK mentioned is gorgeous. All the pictures and diamond is of the actual ring I purchased. It came with a GIA certificate and everything checked out perfectly. The new diamonds don't have a GIA certificate.

The ring itself is beautiful - I wore the ring for a day and got compliments left, right and center (my own ring never got these many compliments). Is it perfecto like some of the more expensive rings here ... no ... but it was nice enough. The ring is handmade.
I'm glad that ForteKitty and CharmyPoo saw this thread & could offer first-hand experience-observations -- thank you!

In light of your positive comments & his good reviews on Yelp, I'd say it's unfortunate that this jeweler is unwittingly shooting himself in the foot by using the same pics-video & doing a cut-and-paste for the listings of this model of ring without double-checking (he neglected to change the price in the body of the text for the 2nd one OECsareforLovers linked to match the higher price for that one with a higher carat center stone).

Especially since he has a brick-and-mortar operation, I can understand that he's not devoting himself single-mindedly to the eBay-Internet sides of his business. But it would be worth his while to, e.g., recruit a savvy college student to take care of the eBay listings & web site -- and to make clear when his stones already have GIA lab reports since that's a positive feature he should be touting.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Wow Molly. I really didn't think that much into it and don't really think it is a big deal at all.

Many of these sellers and jewelers are one man (or family) operations. They don't necessarily make a whack load of money.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly trust Charmy and FK, but I am sorry, I in no way find it acceptable for an ebay ad to show a picture of a previously sold ring with the intent of representing it as a ring for sale. If you want to sell diamond rings on ebay, take pictures. It is really not that hard!

I will add, though, that I love that setting and it is good to know that it is handmade and good quality.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1397706048|3654810 said:
arkieb1|1397705245|3654798 said:

he has a setting picked out. Loose stone. Around 6mm or larger would be best.

I missed where he settled on a setting, apparently???? Did he get info back from VC?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this is slightly over, but it is worth buying, in my opinion. In fact, I am hesitating even posting it because I would like to find a match and buy it for myself! Nice cut, probably around GIA J color and high clarity! Oh, and known seller..I and others here have bought from this jeweler. Good ones will go fast, Travis, once they are posted here for the world to see.

****link removed until I find out if he is contacting OWD

(I'd have the girdle checked if you are setting in prongs. Any OEC with very thin parts of girdle may need a little girdle rehab before setting.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results