carat
color
clarity

Best OEC <$4k

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1397829673|3655496 said:
Wow Molly. I really didn't think that much into it and don't really think it is a big deal at all.

Many of these sellers and jewelers are one man (or family) operations. They don't necessarily make a whack load of money.
Well, I didn't leap to the conclusion that there was something shady, but I guess I could have made it clearer that I sympathize with those who are small operations of integrity. But the reality is that he is vying with a LOT of competition on the 'net and on eBay, e.g., there are nearly 1 million diamond-as-center-stone rings currently listed on eBay by US-based sellers. Offering a prospective buyer the assurance that an independent GIA or AGS lab report provides is a way of setting yourself off from the crowd. Plus, word-tagging that feature or including it in your listing text means your item listing will show up in the search results for an eBay customer looking for that plus, an educated customer who presumably is willing to pay extra for that.

Return-refund policies also are an important factor for eBayers. And heck if I can tell what his really is -- do I need to return the ring within 7 or 14 days to get a refund?

And because there are a lot of shady dealers and genuinely ill-informed sellers on eBay, people are rightfully wary, or should be. So things that give pause to prospective customers "in the know" about eBay are putting him at a disadvantage (e.g., the generic photos-video, the fact that most of his eBay feedback to date is as a buyer, not as a seller) that he should eliminate entirely or compensate for as much as possible.

As the "red flag" comments in this thread alone show, including Jimmianne's one saying she moved on after reading through a number of his listings, he is missing out on prospective buyers -- the vast majority of whom do not have LA-based connections who can check out his merchandise in person, as you and ForteKitty were able to do for your friend.

Apologies, travistd, if you haven't found any of this eBay discussion useful. Have you been able to speak with Adam at Old World Diamonds?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
eBay is for some people and not for others. This seller is one of the good ones. I didn't visit him personally but the two PSer that did will know.

I have been shopping in eBay for over 10 years. If you are making a big purchase, you would message the seller and talk put the details first. I am pretty sure he would have said the photo wasn't of the ring.

I guess I am less demanding than the others.

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for being MIA guys....wt n vacation with the better half. Got some good intelligence though!

I haven't called Adam yet, but I emailed and haven heard back yet.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've probably not heard from Adam because NYC's Diamond District essentially shuts down during Passover (and since you don't have super-precise parameters, you'd probably find a phone call more efficient-productive as your initial contact with him anyway vs. the more fitful nature of e-mail correspondence). In the meantime, maybe you'd like to watch some of the videos on his YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/OldWorldDiamonds

Gotta scoot to pull my lemon meringue pie out of the oven -- enjoy the rest of your weekend!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
travist223|1398005595|3656577 said:
Sorry for being MIA guys....wt n vacation with the better half. Got some good intelligence though!

I haven't called Adam yet, but I emailed and haven heard back yet.

You need to call him and talk to him, he is notoriously slow at emails!!!! The phone will get you results a lot faster.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So what did you find out from your time with your lady? Does she want a cushion?

I personally wouldn't buy one of the Breilla, the surcharge for the branded but results a diamond that, IMO, in a small diamond.

Cushions already face up smaller than rounds. So... if you wanted a Hearts and Arrows Cushion then I'd actually recommend Blue Nile.

And I would recommend going down to I color if you can find it. It will still be white but you will get some very important spread.

This is what I'd get: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?pt=sig&track=NavDiaSigCU#diamonds_pid=LD04246159 It's 5.7 square, at budget and will have ideal light performance and lovely (you can see it in the g-cal report).

If you want a hearts and arrows cushion, then this is the stone I'd advise you to get.

Alternately, if you would consider a generic modern cushion, this is a lovely stone and with the wire discount it is also right at budget for you: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12108/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lots of obstruction in that center stone. When she looks at it head on it will always be dark in the center. As Wink said in another thread, you'd need a see through head to see this stone at it's brightest.

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! Just cruising around.

I actually posted something on freelancer for someone. To translate a letter to her mom in Spanish....to ask for her blessing (dad is out of the picture)

I don't think I'll meet her anytime soon, so maybe this is the best way....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
travist223|1398219426|3658274 said:
Thanks! Just cruising around.

I actually posted something on freelancer for someone. To translate a letter to her mom in Spanish....to ask for her blessing (dad is out of the picture)

I don't think I'll meet her anytime soon, so maybe this is the best way....

So you are asking her mom for permission? That's just lovely. :appl:

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Yes...trying to do it right...her mom is the most Important person to her.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
travist223|1398220197|3658284 said:
Yes...trying to do it right...her mom is the most Important person to her.

Then you are definitely doing it right. :)

What are you thinking about the cushions I posted for you.

travist223

Shiny_Rock
The GOG modern Cush is great....really cool faceting. The h&a somehow seems too clean if that makes any sense...

So is there such thing as a nice 3 stone setting for a cushion that's not ginormous ?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
travist223|1398221452|3658304 said:
The GOG modern Cush is great....really cool faceting. The h&a somehow seems too clean if that makes any sense...

So is there such thing as a nice 3 stone setting for a cushion that's not ginormous ?

I feel the same way about the heart and arrows cushions.

Yes, actually. You can do elegant three stones with cushions.

Here's a gorgeous one. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/the-summer-18k-white-gold-5371w18 They can make this one for your cushion. The pear sidestones come with it. You can ask them for H/I color sidestones instead of the F/G standard ones at it would look great with this one http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12108/

It would look like this (proportionally, I couldn't find a better pic) but with a white center:

2678713_display_1.jpg

travist223

Shiny_Rock
I really like that

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, then put the GOG cushion on hold. Call BGD and get a firm quote for your stone's measurements and with H/I pears. Then buy the stone, and have it sent to Brian Gavin for setting.

It would be very classic and elegant. And if you like, they can engrave it for you. They just got an engraving machine.

travist223

Shiny_Rock
Dumb question...why the h/ i?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cushion is an I. You want your sidestones to match so you should stay within 1 or 2 color grades. H/I would match the I center best.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

travist223

Shiny_Rock
I think I might have found the stone...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

travist223

Shiny_Rock
For the stone yeah...that's why I'm still mulling it over. I think with the right setting from her though, I could come in at around 6k for everything....which is where I need to be...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
travist223|1398391663|3659536 said:
For the stone yeah...that's why I'm still mulling it over. I think with the right setting from her though, I could come in at around 6k for everything....which is where I need to be...

OK. Can I tell you that I personally favor the GOG I color stone we were looking at before?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results