shape
carat
color
clarity

Best diamond size for large hands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosy

Shiny_Rock

Hi,

Please help. I''m trying to make a decision on the size of diamond I should get that will best match the size of my hands. Basically I have very large hands with long fingers. My hands are like "man hands" & are larger than most men I know. My ring size is 5 and 1/2. I am looking to get a solitaire, thin tiffany knife edge band with either a 1.25, 1.35, or 1.40 diamond that will be set lower, as the more authentic Tiffany knock-offs are. Which would be the better choice for my size of hands? Do you think that the larger sized diamonds might call too much attention to my hands? Will peoples reaction be "that''s a nice ring but an ugly hand"? Any advice?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
First off, I am sure your hands are not that big. I am a size 6 finger, and my hands are not that large. You probably have long, thin palms and fingers! When it comes to your ring, pick whatever you feel fits you the best- believe me, no one is going to think you have "man hands." I would prob go for the biggest one myself. Just my opinion. Good luck!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
There is no hugely significant size difference between the three sizes that you have listed. We are talking about hundreths of a millimeter here. If it were a question of 1 carat vs 2 carat that is another matter all unto itself. However, we are talking about .20 of a difference. Realistically, I don''t think your hands can be man hands. A man with *smallish* hands will wear a size 7 ring. A large man will wear a size 12 or something. Anyway, I find that I have dainty hands and I wear a size 6. So, choose whichever size your budget and lifestyle allows rather than focus on the size of your hands.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

I also find it hard to imagine that a ring size of only 5.5 is on a hand that looks like a man! 5.5 is under the average size.

However, if you are worried, I''d go for a stone with as large a diameter as possible. I don''t think large stones draw attention to large hands. On the contrary, I think a smaller stone just makes the hand look disporportionately large.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Rosey,

I can relate to you. I feel like I have "man hands" too, but not because they''re big (I''m 5''4'''' around 120--my ring size is a 6) but because they are rough ( I will use the term ''artisic''.) I have often tried on rings and felt like they were too delicate for my hands.(One saleswoman asked me, upon looking at my hand, if I played a lot of sports...you get the idea.)

My best advice to you would be to try on different sizes. I originally thought that I needed a bigger diamond for my hand, but now I actually think that what I''m going for is a carat or less. It''s all a matter of personal taste. I can honestly say that (now that I constantly stare at e-rings on strangers'' hands) I have never said, "that''s a nice diamond on an ugly hand."

Good Luck!

my gf is a 6 or a 7 (that is her ring size, as a woman she is a perfect 10

emrose.gif
) I was thinking of a hearts and arrows, 1 carat stone, VS2, F. but now I am thinking that maybe I should go down in colour so I can get a bigger stone...

does anyone have any pics of a 1carat stone on a 6 or 7 finger? or any advice?

thankyou

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2004 7:22:15 PM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds

Tybee:

That is such a funny picture of your dog! Cute!

Shshshsh, she''s pretty sure that she''s not a dog. She also insists on sitting in the passenger seat of my car: Dog is my copilot.

our dog is great, she is a gorgeous 5yr old white west highland terrier

every night when we have finished our dinner, she demands a cup of tea, she gets excited whenever my dad sits down, she jumps up on his lap and gets in his face. refuses to let him read the paper until he tells me or my mum to go and make a cup of tea!

and the other night, I''d come in from college, about 7:30pm, I''d been out since 9:30am, well anyway I come in, she comes, tail wagging, jumping up at me, then stopped, looked at me and ran to her lead drawer. I was so tired, but didn''t have the heart to say no, so out we went

oh, and my aunty brings her ''Thorntons Continentals'' (not sure if you have Thorntons across the pond... but trust me, they are very nice, expensive chocolates) she doesn''t bring them for anyone else, just the dog... lol

pics tomorrow, I promise

9.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifer! Awwwwwwww!!! So cute! I''d give up too! My german shephard sits on my lap. It started because he is afraid of thunder! He hears thunder and gets scared and crawls unto my lap, all 95lbs of him. I let him, he''s too cute!!!! He also sleeps on the bed! He''s a snuggler!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

Diamondgeezer:

That is so sweet of you!!! How cute, i''d love to see your dog with a cup of tea! How refined!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2004 8:37
6.gif
2 PM
My german shephard sits on my lap. It started because he is afraid of thunder! He hears thunder and gets scared and crawls unto my lap, all 95lbs of him. I let him, he''s too cute!!!! He also sleeps on the bed! He''s a snuggler!

Fortheloveofdiamonds, I used to have two German Shepherds, and yes they were both afraid of thunder too. And BOTH of them used to sleep on the bed. There wasn''t any room left for us. Sadly, they are both deceased now. They were so spoiled ... we used to saute hamburger to mix with their kibble.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

Cflutist:

That is so funny that they were both afraid of thunder!! I thought my baby was just weird. I am sorry about your loss, but I am sure they are enjoying hamburger and kibble in doggie heaven!! I can''t imagine two shephards on the bed! I hope you have a king size bed. My husband and I are both pretty small, and he takes up most of the room on the bed. Ours is also spoiled, he gets "daddy''s" left-over steak. He takes his vitamins in Brie cheese too, don''t try to fool him with just cheddar too! He''ll eat it, but he''ll give you the *where is my Brie?" look.

Wonderful dogs!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
proportion---even if your stone is small you can have more more elaborate mounting but a small stone or delicate ring will be lost --i have very very long hands (size 6 1/2) and have always worn a 3 carat plus

forthelove - ours is the same!!! she loves my dad''s cheese, he likes smelly ones, stilton, shropshire blue etc, if you give her chedder or mozzeralla, she is happy, but will always looks a tad disappointed...

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock

I had to repost!

6.gif
2.gif

I had said that I don't think 5.5 is a very large ring size even if the finger is long...I have a 7.5!!!! I think anything from 1ct+will look great, esp if it's a well-cut stone. To know what really makes you happy, try on a variety of sizes from 1 to 2 cts and see where your gut stops you! Ditto on the setting style...sidestones will add "girth" to the ring as well and make it look more substantial.

1.gif

Tybee: You dog is a doll and reminds me of my Elmo--who sits at the dining room table like a person (we don't feed him there--I'm not that far gone

37.gif
). I just gave up trying to get him not to do it. So we sit there, eating, and he sits there like a little man. Our other dog, Freddy is too squatty to jump on the dining room chair so he begs from the floor. Here is a pic of little Elmo--you just can't say "No" to that face!
38.gif
2.gif
1.gif

elmohead.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2004 9:13
6.gif
7 PM

Cflutist:

I can''t imagine two shephards on the bed! I hope you have a king size bed. My husband and I are both pretty small, and he takes up most of the room on the bed.
Wonderful dogs!

Nope, we had a queen size bed ... I am 5''4" but my ex was 6'' and 240 pounds. Like I said, there wasn''t much room left for us. The only time I would NOT want them on the bed was when it was raining out and they came in with mud on their paws. My ex would let them on the bed anyway by saying "but they are our babies".

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/13/2004 11
6.gif
0:14 PM
Author: Jennifer5973

I had to repost!

6.gif
2.gif

I had said that I don''t think 5.5 is a very large ring size even if the finger is long...I have a 7.5!!!! I think anything from 1ct+will look great, esp if it''s a well-cut stone. To know what really makes you happy, try on a variety of sizes from 1 to 2 cts and see where your gut stops you! Ditto on the setting style...sidestones will add ''girth'' to the ring as well and make it look more substantial.

1.gif

Tybee: You dog is a doll and reminds me of my Elmo--who sits at the dining room table like a person (we don''t feed him there--I''m not that far gone

37.gif
). I just gave up trying to get him not to do it. So we sit there, eating, and he sits there like a little man. Our other dog, Freddy is too squatty to jump on the dining room chair so he begs from the floor. Here is a pic of little Elmo--you just can''t say ''No'' to that face!
38.gif
2.gif
1.gif

Thanks all for the great advice & reassurance. I think my fingers & palms are just extra long & slender & that makes me self concious at times but they are still very feminine. I think I feel comfortable going with the largest size now. I see the point about having sidestones to make the band more substantial but I really do like solitaires. I think I''ll get a very substantial wedding band to compensate. Love those dogs!!!!!!

can the moderator please delete this post? I don't want to take up all the room, I was trying to get a pic up

sorry

and I don't know what that "undefined" thing I supposedly attached... please delete this post

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2004 11:33
6.gif
5 PM
Author: rosy

I think my fingers & palms are just extra long & slender & that makes me self concious at times but they are still very feminine.

Have you tried on diamonds with an elongated shape? I would have thought of a slender radiant or longer marquize, eventually with smaller sidestones (litle trillions or baguettes to cover the upper side of the band). Probably worth a try out of curiosity

2.gif
These longer shapes r dress-up slender fingers, IMO.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ok- in what universe are your hands man hands. YOu want man hands, I have some for you. Most sample rings are sized at 6. No matter what your frame, your hands are smaller than average. Get a grip!
9.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock

Oh Rosy,

Sorry to hijack your post! I just couldn''t resisit (now that I''ve learned how to upload pictures!!) Cflutist, these little babies also sleep in the bed. It wasn''t much of a problem when I was single...now they have their own bedroom. The brown one insists on being covered up.

Rosy, good luck with your search. Trying on diamonds is fun, fun, fun.

lakedogs.jpg

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2004 11:30:55 PM
Author: cflutist

Nope, we had a queen size bed ... I am 5''4'' but my ex was 6'' and 240 pounds. Like I said, there wasn''t much room left for us. The only time I would NOT want them on the bed was when it was raining out and they came in with mud on their paws. My ex would let them on the bed anyway by saying ''but they are our babies''.

Yup, we have a queen size bed too! I can''t imagine the four of you on that little bed!!!!! LMAO! They are the babies though! Too funny!!!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2004 9:24:45 PM
Author: diamondgeezer

forthelove - ours is the same!!! she loves my dad''s cheese, he likes smelly ones, stilton, shropshire blue etc, if you give her chedder or mozzeralla, she is happy, but will always looks a tad disappointed...

I think this is the "true" definition of spoiled rotten!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2004 6:46:57 AM
Author: diamondgeezer

ok, I think it worked this time... lets have a look... YES!!! it worked

36.gif

there she is

9.gif
sorry the pic is a bit bright, isn''t she gorgeous?

She is absolutely gorgeous!!! and worth the cheese!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/14/2004 10:35:26 AM
Author: Tybee
Cflutist, these little babies also sleep in the bed. It wasn''t much of a problem when I was single...now they have their own bedroom. The brown one insists on being covered up.

The are SO adorable! They look like such good buddies! I wish I could get my baby a buddy but we move so much I couldn''t do it with two. Someday though! It is so funny that the brown one wants to be covered up!! She does believe she is a person LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results