shape
carat
color
clarity

Bent Platinum Ring from Bluenile

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone ever run into any problems with Platinum settings from Bluenile? My FI gave me my platinum triad engagement ring on October 1 and on October 30 we were at a concert and I was clapping along with the music and looked down to notice that my engagement ring has completely bent flat on my finger and one of the side-stones had fallen out (and I was unable to recover it!) When I sent it back to Bluenile they are now telling me that it was my fault even though I do not even wear the ring when cleaning, hot tubbing, at the gym etc. and they want to charge me to fix the ring but also said that it will be "close to new". I also noticed just from light wear that it was getting deep gouges along the shank. I am completely devastated and am unsure what to think. I have always heard that platinum is stronger then gold, but I have NEVER had a problem with my gold or white gold jewelry even with heavy wear.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well platinum is soft and will bend (it's more PLIABLE than gold and thus won't break, but it will bend)...but wouldn't happen just from clapping unless done repeatedly against a hard surface. How thin was this ring?

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
also has anyone ever dealt with customer service from Bluenile? They are not making this easy, this is an engagement ring nightmare.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is 3.5 mm, I am flabbergasted by this. I did do my homework and do understand that Platinum is more malleable, but never could have dreamed I would be able to bend it by clapping. My FI is calling me "the Hulk".

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Your situation reminds me of this thread Link Another company which won''t replace a ring if the wearer was clapping.
7.gif

I''m so sorry about your ring. I hope it gets fixed and wears better for you.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pics?

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
I am actually kicking myself right now because I didn''t take pictures before sending it back. I was in such a panic about getting it fixed it didn''t even dawn on my to take any.
7.gif
I do have pictures of it before though.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
seeing what type of setting it is would help.
post the before pic or a link to blue Nile if it is a stock ring.
If you can describe where it was flattened referencing the picture.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.bluenile.ca/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-platinum_6219?metal_filter=platinum&setting_filter=sidestone&sort_select=LTHP&show_all_pages=1&set_shape=

The ring was bent flat, as if someone took a hammer and hit the shank dead on, it literally looked like I clapped it flat onto my finger. I wish I did have an after picture to show you.

beforejaxxie.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your ring is beautiful; I hope you can get it fixed.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring, I am sorry that you are having such trouble. I hope that it is all taken care of soon.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks you guys, I hope this issue is resolved soon as well.
7.gif
It has been awful being without my ring and also having to explain to everyone who wants to see it why I am not wearing it. My Mom even threw us an expensive engagement party at a 4 diamond hotel and I didn''t have my ring to wear. It was more then disappointing especially after everybody heard about my ring and were anxious to see it on my finger.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
was the head bent down or the shank just crushed?

melissac

Rough_Rock
Wow, that''s terrible!

Just wanted to let you know I have a very thin platinum band on my e-ring and have definitely clapped with it on and have no damage at all.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 11:02:55 PM
Author: missjaxon
The shank was just pressed into the front of the ring.
in one of the area the arrows point to?

DM03501800_zoom.jpg

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
No I don''t. I was only ever holding a glow stick and also at one time a shopping bag and can''t see how either one of those would bend a platinum ring.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
strmrdr, I am not sure what mean, but the back of the shank was flattened onto my finger and if it weren''t on my finger it would have been on the back of the centre stone. The diamond that fell out was one on the front of the band not on the top or bottom. Not sure if that makes sense to you, I know it is hard when you can''t actually see it. When looking at the ring head on after it happened it was as if someone took the picture of the ring from the front and pulled the band widthwise and made it wider.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 11:12:15 PM
strmrdr, I am not sure what mean, but the back of the shank was flattened onto my finger and if it weren''t on my finger it would have been on the back of the centre stone. The diamond that fell out was one on the front of the band not on the top or bottom. Not sure if that makes sense to you, I know it is hard when you can''t actually see it. When looking at the ring head on after it happened it was as if someone took the picture of the ring from the front and pulled the band widthwise and made it wider.
ok gotcha, definitely impact caused the damage then.
But the design of the ring may have contributed to it.
I would take an expert looking at it in person to say.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 9:53:52 PM
Author: neatfreak
Well platinum is soft and will bend (it''s more PLIABLE than gold and thus won''t break, but it will bend)...
Yep.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Three sided pave rings are more fragile than those with pave on the top only. This is because the top, and both sides for the shank have holes drilled into them.
I''m not sure how that would have contributed to the bottom of the ring shank getting bent, unless it bent right where the pave stopped?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
my first ER was a delicate setting in platinum and it was my first platinum piece of jewelery ever. i whacked it against a counter one time and completely destroyed the head of the ring and ever since then, no platinum for me, lol. the only thing i have in plat now is a tiffany ring but that thing is so thick i really don''t think i could hurt it. good luck with your ring, she is gorgeous!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the damaged was caused before the clapping, and you just didn''t notice it until then? Could it have been getting in or out of the car? That would make more sense then just clapping.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
The funny thing was that my FI and I were looking at the ring glimmer in the bright lights from the concert stage just minutes before the artist came on and it was in perfect condition so when the first song ended and I finished clapping I felt the ring tight on my finger and when I looked down I was shocked!! I definitely know when it happened, I am just shocked that clapping could squish a platinum ring. It really is weird. I am hoping it is able to be fixed soon. I absolutely LOVE my ring and miss it so much.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 6:26:43 PM
The funny thing was that my FI and I were looking at the ring glimmer in the bright lights from the concert stage just minutes before the artist came on and it was in perfect condition so when the first song ended and I finished clapping I felt the ring tight on my finger and when I looked down I was shocked!! I definitely know when it happened, I am just shocked that clapping could squish a platinum ring. It really is weird. I am hoping it is able to be fixed soon. I absolutely LOVE my ring and miss it so much.
It happens....
Did you have anything in your hand while clapping?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 6:46:16 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 11/12/2008 6:26:43 PM

It happens....

Did you have anything in your hand while clapping?

This is what I was wondering, like a beer bottle or something? Or did you knock your hand on a belt buckle or other hard thing while clapping?

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I can say from experience that repeated clapping will bend a ring. My 10K gold high school ring, and 2 14K gold rings I had were all bent from cheerleading. Keep in mind though, that this was over time. I can''t imagine a ring bending from one concert!
emdgust.gif

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
Or a ring on the opposite hand?

I have to say this scares me away from platinum. I am a little rough on my hand (underside especially)

Abby12

Shiny_Rock
That should not happen no matter how hard you are clapping your hands! I would keep bugging them until they agree to fix it for free!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results