shape
carat
color
clarity

Bang for buck ~1 carat asscher?

myrr

Rough_Rock
Hello and first post - looking locally for asschers has proven difficult at best. I'm looking to stay around 4ish could go a bit more but man I sure like the J featured in this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-finding-a-bargain-1ct-asscher-3k-4-5k.200871/page-2#post-3659302#p3659302']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-finding-a-bargain-1ct-asscher-3k-4-5k.200871/page-2#post-3659302#p3659302[/URL]

This will be in an antique platinum setting as well.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk to Good Old Gold, for one. That's what was recommended to me & where I found mine.
Just checking in with you - have you seen Asschers in the 1 carat range in person? They face up smaller than a 1 carat round.
Finding a great Asscher is a bit of an adventure. Happy hunting!

ps. This looks as though it would have a lot of color flashes, [even though some people here might not like the wide windmills]. I would love to see this one in person http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.21-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-486979

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See if you can find any asschers in that colour range to decide whether you mind the warmth. Photographs do not always capture the true colour of a diamond; diamonds can photograph whiter or yellower depending on the light source and the colour that the diamond picks up from its surroundings.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the K I got from GOG. It faces up white in person with top of the chart optics in all categories.
I had been looking at G and above, but when I saw the video of this one I knew it was the one I wanted, color category be darned.
Very hard to tell from photos or even studio lit videos how an Asscher will perform in real life, which is why I like GOG. They a.] picked a stone that was great, then b.] sent me a video of the stone taken in natural light. I'm not pushing GOG one way or another, but they made the process easy for me. I did a lot of research first and it was the 4th Asscher I had home on approval [from other vendors], so that little bit of experienced helped my decision.p1090308.jpg

myrr

Rough_Rock
Ah yes I did send an email to GOG last night, will see what they say. Also, if the price was comparable moving up from a J would certainly not be a bad thing. I am really focused on the cut quality, though. That JA stone doesn't look too bad...

I was able to look at a 1 carat stone in person yesterday, and am ok w/ the size. 1.1-1.2 will probably be my comfort zone I think!

myrr

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1427816061|3855061 said:
This is the K I got from GOG. It faces up white in person with top of the chart optics in all categories.
I had been looking at G and above, but when I saw the video of this one I knew it was the one I wanted, color category be darned.
Very hard to tell from photos or even studio lit videos how an Asscher will perform in real life, which is why I like GOG. They a.] picked a stone that was great, then b.] sent me a video of the stone taken in natural light. I'm not pushing GOG one way or another, but they made the process easy for me. I did a lot of research first and it was the 4th Asscher I had home on approval [from other vendors], so that little bit of experienced helped my decision.

Looks really nice. Hopefully GOG can present me w/ something comparable. They don't really have anything in my size/price range at the moment....

Stepping down a bit in size and up a bit in color doesn't seem like a bad idea either. Will see what options present themselves!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found that I needed at least a 1.2 to really see the facets without magnification. In my case, my 0.90 might as well have been round : )
I love the stone, it works for me and can always be set in a halo later for more bang.
If you figure out the mm X mm you need to be happy you can shop that way. Carat weight and size of stone are not the same thing.

Could GOG get in a couple of 1.2s in for you? I mean, can they find some stones that have potential and evaluate them for you?

myrr

Rough_Rock
Here's hoping - looking forward to hearing back from them.

myrr

Rough_Rock
Wow yeah that second stone from the left looked amazing. Hope GOG gets back to me soon!

myrr

Rough_Rock
Working now with David at GOG to bring in some stones. Fun stuff!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting! I hope you'll keep us up to date on your search!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG likes the second one and they are seeing them in person - which one are you thinking you like best?

myrr

Rough_Rock
I also like the second one.... Just not 100% on it yet. Wondering if others could chime in on the technicals per what was posted on their listing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely second one! I think the ASET is great! When the stone is moved back and forth, the red will light up where the blue is. But excellent light return overall for an asscher and among the best ones I have seen.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1428255276|3857244 said:
Definitely second one! I think the ASET is great! When the stone is moved back and forth, the red will light up where the blue is. But excellent light return overall for an asscher and among the best ones I have seen.
DS Glad to read your input here. If you like it too, then it is a winner.

Myrr - you could ask what the return policy is on this particular stone and have it sent to you to look at. The only way you will know if it's a keeper is if you see it in person.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1428269019|3857304 said:
diamondseeker2006|1428255276|3857244 said:
DS Glad to read your input here. If you like it too, then it is a winner.

Very true! Nothing like seeing a diamond in person. That is why return policies are good!

Myrr - you could ask what the return policy is on this particular stone and have it sent to you to look at. The only way you will know if it's a keeper is if you see it in person.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Agree- the second one.. The one that Jon favors.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1428277147|3857341 said:
Agree- the second one.. The one that Jon favors.
:wavey:
When are you coming to NY?

edit: just a little thread hijack. sorry Myrr. But I told Greg once that he should go to GOG when he is over this way and
we should all have a party there : )
I would love to go to GOG, talk to Jon and see the sparklies.[ That new cut that he showed you with your Asschers looks interesting].
Meanwhile, it's fun to follow your Asscher quest thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results