shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC ??'s

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I've never seen one of these beauties in person! For anyone that has, I'd love to hear your thoughts!!! I have searched through a gazillion threads though and I am in LOVE! I am going to be building a chunky cushion halo RHR for my 10th Anniversary coming up and am considering one of these! I will probably make the trip to GOG as it will only be a couple hour drive, but I am curious of your thoughts! I'm guessing carat size around 1-1.4ish carat.

Color - I tend to be a little more color sensitive, but not inclusion sensitive. What do you think is the lowest I should consider? I'm thinking J SI2, Ideally an I color though. However, I see some beauty K AVC's that seem very white, due to the gorgeous AVC cut. Given I am going to do a halo, I want to make the right color decision. I also know I can get more size if I go J/K. And it's not my ering it's a RHR you know?

My biggest question is that in most of the pictures and videos that GOG does, I see the strong cross pattern face up. In person though is it that strong? Meaning...does your eye see a cross right away? Or when your hand moves does it just dance around the facets? Love love love the big flashes and pastel colors!

Anyways, please pop in and let me know your thoughts/opinions/recommendations on shopping for an AVC! Much appreciated!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizzy you probably saw my comparison thread between MRB and AVC from back in Fall of 2011? As far as cushions go I really love the cut. You don't see a maltese cross all the time. Its like arrows in an MRB: they reflect what's in front of them and mostly look white/silvery in person. The mains also scintillate a lot so you don't really see them much. Anyways, its a great cut no worries there.

I saw an M color and it was too mid-range color for me. I would personally go J or better or else go N or lower :love: I really love how cushions look when they are obviously tinted.

Clarity: as long as I can cover it with a prong in a ring I am a-ok. I think SI2 are a great value.

I am sure you can buy this stone loose, it would be my pick (or similar) set in yellow gold!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11224/

Good value for a pendant: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9877/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also sent for a couple of AVC's here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/[/URL]

I absolutely love them and hope to get one eventually, and it will be set in a halo. While I have to have I color or higher in a round stone, I thought the warmer AVC's would be beautiful with a white halo. I can see myself liking a wide range of colors in an AVC. I'd even love a light yellow W-Z color one! They just show color differently than a round. You are fortunate that you live close enough to go see them, and I hope to do that before I actually buy one. I need to see them all! :lol:

I love that light yellow that Dreamer linked, but I'd be setting that baby with a yellow milgrain bezel and the rest platinum halo!!! :love:

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1379207869|3520962 said:
Lizzy you probably saw my comparison thread between MRB and AVC from back in Fall of 2011? As far as cushions go I really love the cut. You don't see a maltese cross all the time. Its like arrows in an MRB: they reflect what's in front of them and mostly look white/silvery in person. The mains also scintillate a lot so you don't really see them much. Anyways, its a great cut no worries there.

I saw an M color and it was too mid-range color for me. I would personally go J or better or else go N or lower :love: I really love how cushions look when they are obviously tinted.

Clarity: as long as I can cover it with a prong in a ring I am a-ok. I think SI2 are a great value.

I am sure you can buy this stone loose, it would be my pick (or similar) set in yellow gold!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11224/

Good value for a pendant: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9877/

Hi Dreamer! :wavey: I am going to find your comparison thread. I don't think I remember seeing that one! I appreciate your thoughts on the maltese cross. I understand now about how it looks given your description. I am most likely going to be doing a Tiffany Legacy esque ring, maybe with a split shank in platinum. I prefer the more square AVC's. I keep wavering on color because if I go down to a lower color I could really get a more sizable stone, but I do prefer a whiter looking stone and I don't want to regret it you know?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1379208889|3520973 said:
I also sent for a couple of AVC's here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-avcs-came-to-visit-me-today.179824/[/URL]

I absolutely love them and hope to get one eventually, and it will be set in a halo. While I have to have I color or higher in a round stone, I thought the warmer AVC's would be beautiful with a white halo. I can see myself liking a wide range of colors in an AVC. I'd even love a light yellow W-Z color one! They just show color differently than a round. You are fortunate that you live close enough to go see them, and I hope to do that before I actually buy one. I need to see them all! :lol:

I love that light yellow that Dreamer linked, but I'd be setting that baby with a yellow milgrain bezel and the rest platinum halo!!! :love:

Hi DS!!! :wavey: Thanks for posting your thread. I am going to review it! I really do prefer a whiter stone. However, I had J BGD sig earrings and they did not seem yellow to me when I had them at all. However, when I upgraded to my H's, I could tell that they were whiter. I'm not afraid of going J/K as long as it is not going to look kinda yellow. Like DD said, I either want whitish or yellow, not inbetween if that makes sense. I've been reviewing ALL of the GOG videos! I'm a nut!!!

This is so far my favorite J AVC! Love everything about it! And I think the color shows up nice against the melee!
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...re-my-avc-daisy-ring-and-6-stone-band.180579/

Yes, I live in Massachusetts so GOG won't be too far of a drive. The purchase is going to be in the spring of next year so I am trying not to fall in love with anything just yet. You know how that goes though??!!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an AVC, and I would say yes the cross is visible, but not overpowering. The large cross facets are prominent, but they rarely all flash at the same time, so it isn't like an obvious pattern consistently. There are large facets around the periphery that help balance it out too.

The videos are great, but often when I watch them I think "mine doesn't look like that!". Maybe it's just lighting. But I can say they throw off beautiful rainbows like no other stone I've ever seen, which I just adore.

Here's the link to my stone, which is a 1.43 G SI1:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-match-made-in-heaven-avc-and-jbeg.160298/

I think when you see them in person you'll either love them... or not. I think they are so beautiful and unique and perform so well, what's not to love?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the maltese cross look in the AVC''S - that is the only reason I would buy one, I also love seeing the Koziba effect
in the old stones especially seing the black and white hexagon shaped reflections. The maltese cross is the reason why
I far prefer the AVC to an OEC. We are all different but if I didn't like the maltese cross look in an AVC I wouldn't see a
reason to buy one and would buy a modern cushion shape instead for the cusion outline. Maybe you need to see one in
person before you buy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love that J AVC in the halo! I would probably go with an I- J myself, but I do hope to go to GOG eventually to see what the lower color stones look like in person. A lot of people here have lower colors in halos, and I think it all depends on the color of the tint (as in yellow, champagne, brown, gray, etc.) and the cut of the particular stone.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
ecf8503|1379252957|3521126 said:
I have an AVC, and I would say yes the cross is visible, but not overpowering. The large cross facets are prominent, but they rarely all flash at the same time, so it isn't like an obvious pattern consistently. There are large facets around the periphery that help balance it out too.

The videos are great, but often when I watch them I think "mine doesn't look like that!". Maybe it's just lighting. But I can say they throw off beautiful rainbows like no other stone I've ever seen, which I just adore.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-match-made-in-heaven-avc-and-jbeg.160298/

I think when you see them in person you'll either love them... or not. I think they are so beautiful and unique and perform so well, what's not to love?

ECF, what a lovely stone you have!!! And a G color!!! Thanks for your thoughts on the cross. I am glad that I will be able to view them in person and make my decision instead of just going off of pics/videos. The thing is that I like symmetry which you can't always find in true antique stones. But I like the chunky facets as opposed to the splintery ones. So I think I am going to have to go with a branded vintage cushion to achieve that.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid|1379256869|3521159 said:
I love the maltese cross look in the AVC''S - that is the only reason I would buy one, I also love seeing the Koziba effect
in the old stones especially seing the black and white hexagon shaped reflections. The maltese cross is the reason why
I far prefer the AVC to an OEC. We are all different but if I didn't like the maltese cross look in an AVC I wouldn't see a
reason to buy one and would buy a modern cushion shape instead for the cusion outline. Maybe you need to see one in
person before you buy.

Yes, I definitely plan to see one in person first! I love the OEC facets but I want the cushion shape. And I don't care for the splintery ones which is why I am thinking avc will be the way to go! THanks for posting!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1379277319|3521319 said:
I do love that J AVC in the halo! I would probably go with an I- J myself, but I do hope to go to GOG eventually to see what the lower color stones look like in person. A lot of people here have lower colors in halos, and I think it all depends on the color of the tint (as in yellow, champagne, brown, gray, etc.) and the cut of the particular stone.

DS, yes I agree! I would love to be able to go lower than J in order to get a larger stone! I'll just have to see in person if the color will bother me if I go that route. The thing is that I love the OEC facets, but I want a cushion. However, I like symmetry so in most cases a true antique cushion may be off size or facets unsymmetrical and that may bother my eye. So I think I am going to have to stick with branded cushions in order to get the look that I want to achieve. I definitely do not want a splintery faceted cushion. I already have a princess ER so I want the bolder chunky facets. I think I am going to look into AVC, ERD's branded chunky, and maybe VC. But I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a setting so I am most likely going to stick with ERD. So the prime candidates for stones IMO will be ERD/GOG.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks for sharing this ecf and absolutely. The Maltese cross is visible but not overpowering. Since we live in a dynamic world/environment (and not a fixed static one) not all facets illumination simultaneously just the same as when someone peers into a diamond with the perfect symmetry of a Hearts & Arrows not all the "arrows" will show contrast (or obstruction) all at once, nor will all the lower halves (red in ASET) all illuminate at once either. It is the nature of diamonds and particularly ideal cuts be they round or AVC.

Hi lizzyanne. When you come in and if another of my staff is helping you, please introduce yourself to me when you come in! It would be a pleasure to meet you. ::)

Kind regards,
Rhino

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Rhino|1379343002|3521632 said:

Thanks for sharing this ecf and absolutely. The Maltese cross is visible but not overpowering. Since we live in a dynamic world/environment (and not a fixed static one) not all facets illumination simultaneously just the same as when someone peers into a diamond with the perfect symmetry of a Hearts & Arrows not all the "arrows" will show contrast (or obstruction) all at once, nor will all the lower halves (red in ASET) all illuminate at once either. It is the nature of diamonds and particularly ideal cuts be they round or AVC.

Hi lizzyanne. When you come in and if another of my staff is helping you, please introduce yourself to me when you come in! It would be a pleasure to meet you. ::)

Kind regards,
Rhino

Thanks for popping in Rhino!! I am looking forward to doing this project with you! A friend of mine has a Solasfera from you that is just beautiful!! Thanks for your thoughts on the Maltese cross. I understand what you are saying that they won't all be lit up simultaneously so it won't be so strong in person. I look at your diamond inventory every day, but I am aiming to put the green light on this project in the spring. I will definitely be sure to introduce myself when I come in for an appointment!!! Thanks for all of your videos too! I think I've watched about a bazillion at this point!!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an AVC three stone. I started w/an AVC five stone, traded it in for an AVC three stone, then traded in the center for a bigger one. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Love. I rarely see the cross, mainly b/c I'm so gaga over the faceting in its entirety I'm not focusing on any one little thing. Mine are L/M color and I adore them. I do have pictures I think someplace comparing one of the J's I had in the 5 stone w/either and L or M.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I have five itty bitty AVCs. They really are magical. Mine are K's and I adore the color - creamy, white, pastels. However, when I pair it next to an icy white MRB eternity, the color suddenly looks a touch dirty. I would definitely pop some stones in a temp setting when you're visiting GOG and make sure you like the contrast. I think I agree with Dreamer that for a halo I'd go with an I or higher or N or lower and have the color contrast be purposeful.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't know AVCs existed in itty bitty sizes. Man, a 5 stone ring with little like 10 pointer AVCs in it would look killer with my OEC 3-stone ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results