shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Cushion

mbr102865

Rough_Rock
Hi, Y''all.

I am thinking about upgrading my GOG round H&A for an august vintage cushion. Thoughts? Do you think the popularity of the cushion cut is going to be a short-lived trend?

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Hi :)

Interesting question. I''ve been lurking and occasionally posting on pricescope for about a year now, and cushions seem VERY popular on this site. Yet, I hardly see any IRL. Or are you talking about the August cushions specifically?

Either way, I do think cushions are lovely - and they will always be more unique than a round if that appeals to you.

Dunno if that helps or not :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rounds are classic but i don''t think the cushion is a ''trend'', it is just a style that appeals more to some people...so depends on what you want!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...interesting question. My first thought is that maybe you could have GOG send you a cushion to compare to your H&A. Then if you really prefer the cushion, it will always be the most popular with you. After all, it''s about your preferences, not anyone else''s. Just IMHO. Personally, I don''t think cushions are just a trend.

crisnpearl

Rough_Rock
i might be biased but i think the August Vintage cushion is more classic than the round. The round cut is a modern brilliant cut, where as the AVC is vintage - read old mine cut, and this cut has been around way before the brilliant was developed.

so no, i don''t think it''s a trend, and if the vintage cushion appeals to you it will always be a classic
emsmile.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Placed into a classic setting, trendy is definitely not the word that comes to mind. (Gorgeous, timeless, amazing... those do!) You can change the look of a diamond entirely with a new setting down the line, too. I do not think a cushion would ever look dated/trendy. They''ve been around a looooonnng time. Plus they''re not an... aggressively unusual shape, y''know? Just subtly different than a round. Hey, think of marquises. They were really popular in past decades, now not so much. But when you see a marquise set in a nice classic setting, you''re not likely thinking "oh my, how dated!" They still look classic and lovely, even if they aren''t as popular with the masses nowadays.

Plus, most of women have e-rings that obviously date to the time when they were engaged. As long as you love the style, who cares if it looks like it comes from a particular time? You see women all the time wearing the same e-ring they received decades ago and never changed them. I think e-rings are a bit different than, say, clothing- most people don''t change a darn thing from the original stone/setting. (PSers being a bit of an exception to the norm, I think- not that there''s anything wrong with that! I''ve changed mine too
3.gif
)

luvcushions

Rough_Rock
No way I think the way the inside reflects is much similar to the round than the cut of say a princess or emerald cut, its just a little different shape.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Do you mind if I ask why you are concerned with what is popular for your engagement ring?

I changed from a GOG H&A RB to an AVC and could not be happier - but it really does depend on your tastes, and like others have mentioned also what setting you want, to an extent.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all the trend hasn''t even hit mainstream yet.... second of all, who the heck cares? Wear what you love, trends be damned.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/4/2010 2:36:06 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
First of all the trend hasn''t even hit mainstream yet.... second of all, who the heck cares? Wear what you love, trends be damned.
Ditto. The cushion cut has been around a very long time, its not going to look dated.

mbr102865

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your input...I tend to always suffer from analysis paralysis, and I think it''s just a great idea to have GOG send out an AVC and see it with my own eyes.

Now, can you recommend some classically beautiful ways to set a cushion (I am not a big fan of the halo type settings :)

Thanks again. I love pricescopers!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the AV cushions will always be classic. Love them!

Since you don't like halos, I think either a simple solitaire or a thin pave band with these cushions look great.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto.

Halos - they''ve been around forever, they''re a truly antique, vintage design, and yet right now they seem very trendy because SO many people are getting them right now, so perhaps in ten years 2008 will be known as the "halo year", even if that''s not true. Same for cushions, I think - maybe ten years from know 2010 will be the cushions year simply because of the number of people choosing them right now, but they''ve still been around forever and are truly antique, vintage designs. It all goes in circles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results