shape
carat
color
clarity

Assuming this checks out to make me a 3 stone ring....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I received the brooch today. Very pretty piece.

I'll upload some pics. The stone looks warmer than my F, but whiter than my J earrings. And in some lights, I can't tell the difference between my F and the pendant center stone in terms of color.

The center stone measure over 6mm...between 6 and 7 actually, so I am guessing close to 6.5.

The side stones measure 5 mm. I'm just using a tape measure and ruler here, so rough guess. They also do not look to be shallow.

There are two dings in the center stone - one on the crown facet and one from the crown to the table. I cannot see them with the naked eye, nor do the impact sparkle. But I think I can feel them if I run my nail over the stone.

I immediate documented the chips to the seller, who said the owner said there were no chips and it was no problem to send them back (apparently they got a few offers after I bought it, lol.) The chips don't bother me IF the are not problematic. Anyway, I sent her pics as she asked me to send any and she would send them to the owner. The seller has been very responsive.

I'll post some pics for your viewing pleasure in a few.

ETA, it's also marked with "EK 950" and some kind of picture I can't quite make out.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK here we go...pendant is next my (dirty) ering which is F/SI1 and 5.9x6.1mm.

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Side stone pics here. One looks like a tranny, which makes me think..hm. Lower crown on that one too.

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And one pic in this group next to my .4 really digustingly dirty :nono: J color earring.

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finally last two. You can see the dings. One outside in natural light, you can see the ding at the 9:30 position at the table and you can see the other one a little lower down. The other is through a loupe and it's obvious there.

Thanks for looking....

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also just took these because someone suggested I wear it as a pendant. So vertical and horizonal shot. ;))

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! Can't wait to see your plans! :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, that really is gorgeous! I didn't realize it was such a big piece. What's your next step TGal? Are you going to have it appraised? What do you think of the stones? They are such a nice size and look really pretty to me.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1327809481|3113968 said:
Oh wow, that really is gorgeous! I didn't realize it was such a big piece. What's your next step TGal? Are you going to have it appraised? What do you think of the stones? They are such a nice size and look really pretty to me.

I'm almost embarrased to say I like the sparkle better than my cushion (although I'll chalk that up to novelty, because I adore my ring stone). I definitely do like them better than my ACA studs, only because these things look like you released shimmery confetti up into the air. Very disco ball.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! Quite substantial too, I like it a lot. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do w/it!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a blingalicious vertical pendant!!!! But, think it would make a kickin 3 stone (I love the octagonal setting as well as the one skippy posted :love: :love: :love: :love:

Can't wait to see what you do with this...colored stones as replacements would be gorgeous!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome. Color looks nice, not too tinted. Facrting looks really well matched on the center and one side, can you tell in person that the third stone is not a great match? For me, in stones this size, the nuances of facet pattern are slightly lost IRL. You could always sell the tranny and look for another match for the other two.

My vote is make your three stone and put colored gems in the brooch for a vertically oriented pendant!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1327969317|3115189 said:
My vote is make your three stone and put colored gems in the brooch for a vertically oriented pendant!

This would be my thought as well. That is amazing on you as a vertical pendant - plug in your favourite coloured stone and voila! a "new" antique piece :appl: Two for one - the 3 ring AND a pendant :love: :love: :love: :love:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1327970070|3115195 said:
Dreamer_D|1327969317|3115189 said:

This would be my thought as well. That is amazing on you as a vertical pendant - plug in your favourite coloured stone and voila! a "new" antique piece :appl: Two for one - the 3 ring AND a pendant :love: :love: :love: :love:

I agree. The stones look very lively in the pics! Are you still thinking of taking it to Ari?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The third stone isn't a great match T-gal. But on a computer screen at 40x plus that might bother me, but that's not the point. In real life at 5mm-6mm in size does it bother you?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
HOLY TOLEDO ... look what you go & do while I'm away on vacay! :love: :love: :love: :love: I think it looks amazing as a vertical pendant but the first thing I thought of was that BH Real Housewife Kyle's unbelievable middle finger ring that looks a lot like this would vertical with a band put onto it ... you know ... if you had size 10+ gorilla fingers like I do!

can't wait to see what you decide! Congrats

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Well, we'll see what the appraiser says. I will return Thursday if it doesn't work out.

The 3rd stone may not look like a match, but from a (close) distance, they are very well matched. The sparkle kind of is a similar pattern, if that makes sense. The issue with the 3rd stone would be the crown from a profile perspective...it is lower than the other two. But I like the idea of keeping the three together. No way would I even bother trying to look for another. If that was the case, I would have looked for all three separately. It would probably bother most PSers (the 3rd being a tranny, if it is indeed that), but I'm the person who just sends her stone off and say "yeah, do what you like." ;))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I like the idea that they are not identical--if you wanted that esthetic, you'd get three H & A RB's. More interesting to look at, maybe more difficult to set (custom mount), but unique to be sure.

cheers--Sharon

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1327984497|3115365 said:
HI:

I like the idea that they are not identical--if you wanted that esthetic, you'd get three H & A RB's. More interesting to look at, maybe more difficult to set (custom mount), but unique to be sure.

cheers--Sharon
+1

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point Sharon.

Anyone want to make bets on what the appraiser will think?

I'm going to say it's going to come back as I color. And I'm going to say those two things are definitely chips and not inclusions. 1.12 for carat weight (although I know the appraiser won't be able to be exact) and .62-.65 for the sides. Sides will be within 1 color grade of the center.

As for the authenticity of the piece, I'm going to guess replica, although that one is hard for me to say. It's just in pristine condition (setting, not stones obviously), so it's hard for me to think the stone sustained damage while the setting looks so good.

Now say I'm right on the above...still think it's worth keeping when the listing claimed F/VS?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tgal I would ask about the integrity of the stone with the chip and then base you decision on whether to keep it or not on that. I do think it is gorgeous and I am like Sharon I wouldn't want a perfect match; there is something awesome about those old stones not being extremely cookie cutter! :cheeky: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be able to handle the chip for a ring stone. But it is gorgeous as a vertical pendant as is!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, awesome find! I love it as a vertical pendant too (on a longer chain it would be amazing!) I can't wait to see what you do with it!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, I love it!!! Lucky find.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well...that's one helluva brooch! It's huge! (Jaw dropped) Just based on what you wrote about your personal style, I'd ixnay the pendant idea. (...there goes T'gal in her Juicy sweats and blinged out pendant! lol..I know you don't wear the Juicy) The stones could make a very nice 3 stone. Also agree with Sharon about the matching. These are old cuts, and they're not going to match exactly-totally different aesthetic. Looking forward to hearing what the appraiser says about the quality of the stones. I love their look. Just wow on this piece regardless of what you do with it. It's a very different animal in your pics. Looks newly made... Good luck!!

ps-do you like the design of it? Enough to replace the stones you might remove to keep it as a brooch or pendant?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1328039682|3115737 said:
Well...that's one helluva brooch! It's huge! (Jaw dropped) Just based on what you wrote about your personal style, I'd ixnay the pendant idea. (...there goes T'gal in her Juicy sweats and blinged out pendant! lol..I know you don't wear the Juicy) The stones could make a very nice 3 stone. Also agree with Sharon about the matching. These are old cuts, and they're not going to match exactly-totally different aesthetic. Looking forward to hearing what the appraiser says about the quality of the stones. I love their look. Just wow on this piece regardless of what you do with it. It's a very different animal in your pics. Looks newly made... Good luck!!

ps-do you like the design of it? Enough to replace the stones you might remove to keep it as a brooch or pendant?

I wouldn't wear it as a pendant (it's just too big) and I probably would not go to through the effort of trying to find stones to keep it as a brooch since I don't wear brooches, to be honest. TGuy and I are going to talk about it tonight, but at this point, I'm 50/50 on keeping it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, you know what I always say...A deal is only a deal.....plus, depending on how it checks out, it really might not be that much a deal anyway.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if the center is over 1ct then on ebay stones in the I/J range seem to go around $2k to 2.5k depending on specs when they go for a really good deal, though not sure how those chips affect things since they would make it an SI2 or lower. Sides, if around .65ct, then they seem to run about $750 each on ebay. Yes I have been tracking comps 8) So that's about $3500 to $4000. Maybe add some for them matching. So not a great deal by ebay standards, but I think a good deal overall if you love the stones. I know of another three stone in ebay listed for $3200 with similar sized stones FWIW. If you dont love the stones, who cares about the price.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1328050586|3115897 said:
Well if the center is over 1ct then on ebay stones in the I/J range seem to go around $2k to 2.5k depending on specs when they go for a really good deal, though not sure how those chips affect things since they would make it an SI2 or lower. Sides, if around .65ct, then they seem to run about $750 each on ebay. Yes I have been tracking comps 8) So that's about $3500 to $4000. Maybe add some for them matching. So not a great deal by ebay standards, but I think a good deal overall if you love the stones. I know of another three stone in ebay listed for $3200 with similar sized stones FWIW. If you dont love the stones, who cares about the price.

Thanks Dreamer. I actually really like the stones...and I REALLY like the center stone, but keep in mind I don't have much to compare it to. I've seen a couple IRL, but they were substantially bigger stones. The center stone here is just so pretty, and I've stared hard to see if the chips make any difference and they don't to my naked eye. But as others noted, I have to see if it makes the stone unstable.
It's more the 3 stone idea, vs "the honker" idea, hahaha.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe this has already been mentioned and I missed it, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating... but can the chip/scratch be polished out? Would BGD do that? Not sure if that spoils the integrity of the cut or the stone by purchasing an old cut then using modern interventions after?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results