shape
carat
color
clarity

Assuming this checks out to make me a 3 stone ring....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Could this be a revival piece? I am not an expert by any means but has the look of something "newer"--or was extremely well preserved/never worn! Any hallmarks?

I am not a brooch person either. Good luck on your decision!

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1327518995|3111499 said:
It doesn't look like a piece from the 1800s, no, but it could be an Edwardian or Art Deco piece...early 1900s through the 1930s. Remember, brooches don't get the same wear as rings or bracelets, and a brooch of this quality is likely to stay intact. You'd be surprised at the condition of some older, well-kept pieces.

In any case, I'm not surprised that there are date/period discrepancies in a listing, yup.

Downton Abbey, yes! ...oh and the brooch is Baa-aack... :cheeky:

Hm. Maybe I can upgrade from tees and flip flops and wear something with a collar.

This can be my signature piece...people will say, there goes TGal in a juicy sweatsuit and that blinged out pin....

(for the record, I do not wear juicy sweatsuits.)

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
lol I don't wear brooches either, but I secretly want to! (tee-shirt-blazer w/brooch-jeans-flips (ok shoes), why not?? haha) but no...a vintage brooch, while gorgeous, is not really my style...

I understand wanting nicely matched old stones. I'm curious to know what an antique jewelry expert or appraiser will think of it after perusal. Oh and Patrick Davis is great btw.

Good Luck with whatever you decide! Hope it all works out.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1327520354|3111518 said:
lol I don't wear brooches either, but I secretly want to! (tee-shirt-blazer w/brooch-jeans-flips (ok shoes), why not?? haha) but no...a vintage brooch, while gorgeous, is not really my style...

I understand wanting nicely matched old stones. I'm curious to know what an antique jewelry expert or appraiser will think of it after perusal. Oh and Patrick Davis is great btw.

Good Luck with whatever you decide! Hope it all works out.

Thanks Coati. I love the idea in principle (wearing a brooch), but even dressed up for work, it'd look ridiculous. If it does turn out to be original, I'll decide what to do then. I have 7 days from receipt to decide. Honestly, I'm with Mara for thinking it wasn't, because it looked too pristine. But I suppose a brooch simply would not get banged around much, and maybe back then they only wore them for more special occasions.

I wonder if I could make it into something I can wear on my wrist, hehehe. I will never again buy (overly expensive) bling where it's worn where I can't SEE it!! Will it look weird if I wear a brooch on my stomach? :cheeky:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
TravelingGal|1327519356|3111504 said:
This can be my signature piece...people will say, there goes TGal in a juicy sweatsuit and that blinged out pin....

This thought is still making me LOL. :cheeky:

...and yah, if I wore high-necked-ruffly blouses regularly, I think a brooch could be a staple. I do love that folks are wearing brooches of late.

I'm all for an old cut 3 stone ring! Now, that's practical..I can attest!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1327521195|3111530 said:
TravelingGal|1327519356|3111504 said:

This thought is still making me LOL. :cheeky:

...and yah, if I wore high-necked-ruffly blouses regularly, I think a brooch could be a staple. I do love that folks are wearing brooches of late.

I'm all for an old cut 3 stone ring! Now, that's practical..I can attest!

And yours is G :love: RGEOUS!!!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Lady Mary Crawley's jewelry was what got me back to the forum recently. :naughty:

Tgal, if your goal is to make a three stone ring, I've seen a few listed recently on eBay for less than or around what you paid for the brooch. There was a 3 stone OMC ring that sold for around $4300, and it was at least 2.5 tcw. I"m just saying - the price you paid for the brooch wasn't simply for the diamonds alone, I think a portion of it was for the brooch's craftsmenship, which will go to waste unless you are able to sell the setting to someone else.

And yeah - 10 pointers are easy to find on eBay, although for stones that small, cost wise I don't think there's much benefit for sourcing your own stone. 15 points and up - there will definitely be cost savings there, plus then you can really see the lovely patterns on the old cuts. :love: I got lucky the first time on eBay but I haven't found another ring that can compare to the quality of the stones I've got.

Tangent- There's a BBC show called The Hours. We can find it on demand here in the BBC shows category. The main character wears lots of brooches, albeit it's Art Deco. It really made me want to start wearing brooches, too. (But um, with two young boys, it's not so practical.) But, the show is really excellent if you like British drama. The main actress also played the latest version of Austen's Emma which aired on PBS last year.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphirering|1327527818|3111629 said:
Lady Mary Crawley's jewelry was what got me back to the forum recently. :naughty:

Tgal, if your goal is to make a three stone ring, I've seen a few listed recently on eBay for less than or around what you paid for the brooch. There was a 3 stone OMC ring that sold for around $4300, and it was at least 2.5 tcw. I"m just saying - the price you paid for the brooch wasn't simply for the diamonds alone, I think a portion of it was for the brooch's craftsmenship, which will go to waste unless you are able to sell the selling to someone else.

And yeah - 10 pointers are easy to find on eBay, although for stones that small, cost wise I don't think there's much benefit for sourcing your own stone. 15 points and up - there will definitely be cost savings there, plus then you can really see the lovely patterns on the old cuts. :love: I got lucky the first time on eBay but I haven't found another ring that can compare to the quality of the stones I've got.

Tangent- There's a BBC show called The Hours. We can find it on demand here in the BBC shows category. The main character wears lots of brooches, albeit it's Art Deco. It really made me want to start wearing brooches, too. (But um, with two young boys, it's not so practical.) But, the show is really excellent if you like British drama. The main actress also played the latest version of Austen's Emma which aired on PBS last year.

I have seen some, but none of which the stone's faceting really appealed to me. I'll probably be super anal about that. Also I haven't seen any settings I've really liked, so I would still have to pay for the setting. They asked for $5500, so there was a bit of negotiating that went on for the brooch.

I will have to check out The Hours. The last few things I've watched (and I watch pretty much NO TV) have been British. Life on Mars, and Ashes to Ashes. Now Downton Abbey. Very enjoyable!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Bra and boobs aside, that brooch looks pretty good as a pendant.

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
TravelingGal|1327528096|3111633 said:

Tgal, if your goal is to make a three stone ring, I've seen a few listed recently on eBay for less than or around what you paid for the brooch. There was a 3 stone OMC ring that sold for around $4300, and it was at least 2.5 tcw. I"m just saying - the price you paid for the brooch wasn't simply for the diamonds alone, I think a portion of it was for the brooch's craftsmenship, which will go to waste unless you are able to sell the selling to someone else.

I have seen some, but none of which the stone's faceting really appealed to me. I'll probably be super anal about that. Also I haven't seen any settings I've really liked, so I would still have to pay for the setting. They asked for $5500, so there was a bit of negotiating that went on for the brooch.

I will have to check out The Hours. The last few things I've watched (and I watch pretty much NO TV) have been British. Life on Mars, and Ashes to Ashes. Now Downton Abbey. Very enjoyable!

I mainly watch PBS for British shows, and the last one I really enjoyed was Case Histories, which was based on Kate Atkinson's book.

What is your total budget if you don't mind me asking? I recently stopped by Lang's Antique and they have some lovely three stone rings. (But they are pricey like others have noted.) Or are you thinking more of a modern setting?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphirering|1327529300|3111658 said:
TravelingGal|1327528096|3111633 said:

I mainly watch PBS for British shows, and the last one I really enjoyed was Case Histories, which was based on Kate Atkinson's book.

What is your total budget if you don't mind me asking? I recently stopped by Lang's Antique and they have some lovely three stone rings. (But they are pricey like others have noted.) Or are you thinking more of a modern setting?

I'm not sure what my budget is...I'm going to say yoooo hooooo, TGuy, would you like to pay for a setting for my 40th birthday??? :cheeky

I'm thinking something simple with milgrain bezels, to be honest. probably Just let the stones shine though.

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Ok, since it's for a milestone like the 40th, then a three stone ring is the perfect gift! I think I saw a milgrained bezeled three stone ring by JBEG here- it's gorgeous!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphirering|1327530148|3111671 said:
Ok, since it's for a milestone like the 40th, then a three stone ring is the perfect gift! I think I saw a milgrained bezeled three stone ring by JBEG here- it's gorgeous!

Yes, it's perfect too because we are for sure only a 3 person family. ::)

But as I promised, I shall do nothing until it's verified. I have made an appointment with Patrick Davis, and afterward I shall see if I can go to Singlestone.

JBEG makes lovely stuff, but this will most likely go to DBL. I've been really impressed with the people who work for him, as well as his service and work lately. They absolutely nailed Yssie's new 5 stone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tgal, totally agree with you on your DBL assessment! Yissie's ring turned out as close to perfect as you can get!!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
DBL would be my first choice as well, actually. :appl:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually saved a pic of that pendant I posted (with the tank top and bra), because I like the octagon look of those bezels. That might be a simple way of doing a three stone bezel while keeping elements of the period.

I'm getting ahead of myself.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
...sorry-couldn't resist. :naughty: I've had octagonal bezel 3 stone rings on the brain. (was contemplating something for a few stones)

I think a finely-made iteration of this would be gorgeous...
vintage-3-stone-ring.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1327538246|3111781 said:
...sorry-couldn't resist. :naughty: I've had octagonal bezel 3 stone rings on the brain. (was contemplating something for a few stones)

I think a finely-made iteration of this would be gorgeous...
vintage-3-stone-ring.jpg

You're really not helping your case of keeping the brooch together.... :love:

I had not seen anything like that, thank you! I just saw that other brooch and thought, I like those bezels!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh oh oh!!! Coatimundi - that's a stunning octagon 3 stone!!! :appl: :love: :love:

TGal - I know others have said how hard it is to see a vintage piece be used for 'parts', so to speak, but jewellry is meant to be worn and loved and if you want to make it into a 3 stone and use the other stones for earrings/pendant/eternity bands.... then enjoy! On the other hand - that really would make a KICK BUTT pendant!!! Hahahahaha!!!

Interesting to hear what you think of the piece and the diamonds, once it arrives and you get to inspect it closely. Looking forward to updates in the process!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
brooch? What brooch? :saint:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1327538811|3111786 said:
brooch? What brooch? :saint:

:lol:

Enerchi, thank you. I get all points. And while I don't have a ton of pieces, I am still on this forum because I appreciate beautiful jewelry. Part of me would hate to take it part if it were indeed, an authentic piece.

But no answers until next week, so we'll see!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh don't you just hate waiting for the delivery??? I am NOT a patient person, but apparently there is this little rumour going around... "good things come to those who wait". pffft - whatev!!!

I'm waiting till my new Mastercard billing period starts (SUNDAY ---- WOO HOO!!) then I'm ordering myself a little trinket :lol: tick tock tick tock

... but back to you! Would you feel like you 'missed out' if you did not go thru with the 3 stone ring as you had intended, when you sourced out this piece? I think if there's a niggling little tinge of "what if" going on in my head, then there's a reason that I have not yet discovered, why I am not moving forward on something. I guess it all depends on when you meet this new piece, what you'll feel its new future holds!

Ultimately, go with what makes you the happiest (I keep saying this on PS...!) but truly, life is too short to not be happy. :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS. Would you replace the diamonds you are taking out with colored stones? Cause that's a stunning piece and I'd hate for it to be destroyed. Transformed is another matter.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this 5 stone but instead a 3 stone. :love: :love:

365 cushion 5 stone 3.jpg

365 cushion 5 stone 2.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy a 5 stone is an option, with a very small 4th and 5th stone.

Gypsy, I'm laughing because you'd think as a PSers I'd think of that, but nope! Kudos to you for suggesting it. It's a great idea...in theory, but not in reality...because you know what I'd want in it? RED stones. Not pink red, not brownish red, but a real red. And we all know how hard that is to do! Might as well find subtitute old cut stones, ha! But spinels are an idea in general...it's just that I don't love most ofthe colors I find. I would want the colored stones to be a rich blue, or even green. Something very primary. And finding 3 that match...gack! But I love the idea...and I'll bet PSers can help me find anything!

Enerchi, I just tend to be a "whatever" kind of person in that I don't feel like I NEED anything. I see lots of things I like, but really, if this brooch didn't work out, I'd probably just table everything for awhile.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Green tourmaline would probably be the easiest.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1327545064|3111899 said:
Gypsy, I'm laughing because you'd think as a PSers I'd think of that, but nope! Kudos to you for suggesting it. It's a great idea...in theory, but not in reality...because you know what I'd want in it? RED stones. Not pink red, not brownish red, but a real red. And we all know how hard that is to do! Might as well find subtitute old cut stones, ha! But spinels are an idea in general...it's just that I don't love most ofthe colors I find. I would want the colored stones to be a rich blue, or even green. Something very primary. And finding 3 that match...gack! But I love the idea...and I'll bet PSers can help me find anything!

I know exactly what you mean. I love red, red too. And I've consigned it to a pipe dream if I win the lottery.

I wasn't thinking necessarily for you to keep it as a brooch with colored stones. I was just thinking to give you an option to see if Ari or JBEG or Langs would want to buy it from you to put sapphires or tsavorites or aquamarines or syn. rubies or tourmaline in there and re-sell it, if Mrs. Salvo's diamond idea doesn't work out. It's easier to order colored stones to specific sizes. And there is custom cutting of colored stones available to jewelers.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, I've never owned a tourmaline (seen bad examples) or a spinel, but I would prefer colored stones with a higher RI now. Just because I realize I love sparkle!

Gypsy, that's a thought too. Too many thoughts actually. I just have to sit tight and wait for now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results