shape
carat
color
clarity

asschers/square emerald: how small could I go?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinresolution

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a .33-.4 carat generic asscher/square emerald for my gf's e ring. I know this is not even close to the size most get this stone in, but my girlfriend loves the asscher cut and dislikes large jewellery, being a small girl (5'2). I am going to get the highest quality out there d-f and at least vvs2 with as close to perfect cut as possible. My question is this: will an asscher stone this small hold its own in a solitare setting? I have heard that the "10 mile deep" look that asschers are famous for get lost once you get smaller than a certian size. I have looked all over for an answer or opinion on this, but everyone gets larger asscher stones and no one in the area has a similar stone on hand. Thanks in advance your your time and expertise--you all are great.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know much about asschers except that I like them. I have also heard that about the 10-mile deep look getting lost. Strmrdr should be along shortly to help you. He really has studied this cut and can give you some really great advice. Try sending him a PM.

Shay

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup Storm is the one to help you on this. He helped me pick out mine. Good luck!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as it is a bright stone... why not.

Here's one (LINK).
2.gif

And THIS PAGE lines up emerald cut diamond solitaires from half carat to about 5 side by side.
Go down the link: most rings can be brought up in individual pictures with stats aside.

9.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Strmdr (as Shay said) will be a lot of help.

Just in my experience trying rings on (I'm 5'3 myself) I think that the carat weight you're talking about *COULD* be on the small side--for an asscher. What is her RING size? This will make a big difference too.

I wonder if you would consider dropping your stats down a bit to, perhaps G in color and VS2 in clarity, while keeping CUT as perfect as possible, if you might be able to get a slightly larger stone? An asscher will usually face up smaller than a comparable round stone of the same weight, so it is an issue.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
YUM!!!!!! That first ring link Ana posted is FAB! Ok, I stand corrected? I'd still see if you can aim towards the upper end of your range though (like closer to .4 and up?)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
this is from Bethany :: hope she doesn''t mind

"It is a very small asscher in an 18k white gold band-.15 ct H VS1- such a cutie!"

i know it''s smaller, but it''s one of my favorites, and came to mind.

i personally was wondering the same thing. i had comteplated a larger asscher solitare with a wedding band with small tiny asschers.

hope this helps...

rhras.jpg

kevinresolution

Rough_Rock
I am not 100% sure of her ring size, but we have gone to check out rings with her and I know that the size 6 or 7s that they are using to show her are way too big. I would say she is probably a 5 or so. Maybe even smaller. I haven't asked for her the size becuase I want her to be at least somewhat surprised.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
X14101V.jpg

A SINGLE STONE ASHER-CUT DIAMOND RING
A single stone diamond ring, the E colour, VS1 carity, asher-cut diamond weighing 0.49 carats, accompanied by a Precious Stone Laboratory certificate, number 972543, white four claw set between tapered baguette-cut diamonds weighing a total of 0.13 carats, to a fine tapered D-section shank, hallmarked platinum, london 2003, gross weight 3.3 grams. NRV

(From the site Ana posted)

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
11730V.jpg

A SINGLE STONE DIAMOND RING

A single stone diamond ring, the H colour, VVS2 clarity emerald-cut diamond, weighing 0.52 carats, four claw set to a platinum shank, hallmarked for London 2002, bearing the Bentley & Skinner sponsor mark, gross weight 3.3 grams.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
a properly cut .33-.4 could show close to the proper look but it wouldnt show that well unless you look real close.
5mm x 5mm or so is usualy as small as you can go for the full effect.
That doesnt mean that smaller ones dont look kewl just not the same.
5mm x 5mm would be around .70cts.

An emerald cut may be a better choice in the .33-.4 range.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
And this one from antiqueengagementrings.com:
7400A.jpg
7400b.jpg
7400c.jpg

"Replica Art Deco Engagement Ring
Center emerald cut diamond weighs .50 carats, D color and VVS2 clarity. Set in platinum ring which is a replica of an original Art Deco antique engagement ring. Eight round diamonds are bead set in the shoulder with a delicately millegrained edge. An additional detailed design is found on all sides. Currently size5.5 and easily sized. "

E B

Ideal_Rock
Kevin,

I know DiamondsbyLauren is selling a .51 carat asscher on their website for $1649.

Go to this website:
http://diamondsbylauren.com/AvailableItems/Loose_Diamonds/DBL_LooseDiamonds_WHITE.htm

..and scroll down to the second to last row. The asscher is the in the middle. They can set it in a white-gold lucida type setting for $150.00, so you can have the ring for under $2000.00. Good luck in your search!
9.gif

edit: I didn't see that you wanted VVS. It's an SI1, but it might be eye-clean enough.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2005 4:06:32 PM
Author: strmrdr

5mm x 5mm or so is usualy as small as you can go for the full effect.
...5mm x 5mm would be around .70cts.
Speaking of size, this one could be about 4.5 (like this).

And... I would surely like something like the E-VS1 ring Blueroses posted - and by that I mean a bright diamond with small corners. Not sure tis is what became fashionable to call 'asscher' (along with the Royal Asscher brand), but... I believe these look better small. Now, this is really just a matter of taste and my taste should not matter all that much. There is a thread about this (here).

Btw. that one at Whiteflash came out of a random search for D-H, VS1-VS2s (.35-.45cts). Other sellers should have the same stone listed, and other diamonds may make a better choice - depending on what you have in mind.

Actually, how about this one? I am not sure what Ex-Ex finish does, but if there isn't some huge premium for it, why not.
I wish there were pictures
38.gif

Edited to add:

Now that I see the VVS requirement !
D-F,VVS probably sounds good at this point, but do not expect these stats to make a huge difference - they barely do for very large diamonds compared to the next couple of grades. If a brilliant cut shows up F-G, VS - that would make a difference way more than the color & clarity grades, IMO.

DPG

Rough_Rock
Kevin, I am no expert but if there is anything I do know about it is Asschers.

Your main area of focus needs to be on polish and symmetry at that size. You want to see the corner lines come together at a point, not hit a flat line. I have a feeling that a few might disagree on me with this.

With your search being for under 1/2 ct, no doubt a difference in price, check diamond.com's inventory under "advance search." I recently purchased two myself 0.36 & 0.37 with an aggregate of $1,200 - both E-VS1, ex/ex, no fl, table 60%, depth 68% - laser inscription and GIA cert included.

Though I am a big fan of WF, for the lower carats, diamond.com in my opinion has the best inventory. If you can, shoot for ex/ex and thing less, then worry about the color, the clarity.

Good luck and happy huntings!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results