shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher X-prong from Whiteflash experiences if interested...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nzguy

Rough_Rock
Well the Asscher has been set – in the platinum Vatche X-prong – and shipped to me here in London from Whiteflash. I thought I would put together a quick overview of the ring and my experience to help any others who come in here looking for answers like I did – I only ended up posting a couple of times in one thread but I read a lot and it really helped out. Thanks so much. Post will be quite long, but think might help people interested in:
• Asschers
• Vatche X-prong
• Whiteflash
• Buying from the US into the UK (including shipping, customs, nervousness, customer service etc)
• Sizing ring when keeping it a secret!
Background:
Girlfriend knows nothing about this. A number of people say that she should be involved to avoid disappointment etc but for me it needs to be a secret and I need to choose something she loves to show that I know her and love her. Just how I approach it! Diamond shape was chosen based on what I think she’ll like and what I know I like – I knew she roughly preferred princess over round but also likes something a little unique. And we both enjoy art-deco and modern design so this seemed the best idea (and I love them)
Diamond:
Asscher Cut Style (GIA = Cut Cornered Square Step Cut)
Carat: 1.03
Colour: H
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 68.8%
Table: 63%
Crown Height: 14.1%
Fluorescence: Faint
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Measurements: 5.62 x 5.48 x 3.77 (GIA)
Girdle: Med – Slightly Thick
Source: Bought in to Whiteflash upon their suggestion
Ring:
Vatche X-prong
Platinum
Size: 4.5
Source: Set at Whiteflash after sourced from Vatche
Diamond experience:
The diamond “numbered up” well for me except the colour, as I had originally intended to stay at F or G. Most interesting to me from the GIA was the Cut Cornered Square Step Cut description:
• 5 steps in the pavilion
• Slightly deeper cut corners than a lot of the Square Emerald one’s I had seen.
Bob at Whiteflash bought this one in for me and photographed, idealscoped and Sarin’d it within the space of a few days. Bob was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable and just the right amount of “pushy” – I say this because it’s actually easier to have someone push you along when making big decisions like this. Friendly and genuine guy and in the end an easy job I imagine – one stone to get in, instant decision and then sourced the standard ring through them. I believe the skill and professionalism shown on these “straightforward” jobs says as much about them as when they have to organise very complex jobs. It was effortless really.
I really liked the images I saw – I had not done bucketloads of research and looking like some do but knew I liked the look of it. After a couple of helpful folks on here suggested it was pretty good (and were quite specific rather than general “is lovely” comments, which was great) I decided I wanted the diamond and shifted to setting decisions. Decision for me was based on:
• Good outer shape – quite octagonal but not outrageously so
• Good windmill pattern
• Higher number of steps
• Symmetry of pattern internally
Ring experience:
Again, looked around here and a lot on the net for various styles that I liked and that had me decide on the platinum Lucida-style/Vatche X-prong. I liked the modern simplicity of it and thought it would strike a chord against the older style of the diamond. I originally intended to have the loose diamond shipped to London and have Daniel Prince or similar set it in a “Lucida-style” ring but in the end given the links of Vatche to Tiffanys (whose original inspired my interest) thought I might as well all have it done through Whiteflash. (Note that there are various heated discussions here about if X-prong = Lucida. I will simply say that I was told unequivocally it was by the person who should know).
As I said, is all a secret from girlfriend so had to work out ring sizing and the only ring she has is a Trinity ring (six rings of three different golds intertwined) that she never takes off! So did the whole “can I play with your ring its fun I don’t have one” thing which seemed to work! Noted where it fit on my little finger in a similar way to where she wears it and had a jeweller try different ring sizes on me to determine it (UK I = US4.5 by the way).
Delivery:
Whiteflash did not have the required X-prong in stock (note they stock some of them for faster delivery times) and I was under a certain amount of time pressure (less than 3 weeks to have it in hand in the UK from when I agreed on the diamond). Bob had Vatche agree to a 2-3 week delivery to them for setting and then over-delivered by having it in my hand today (2.5 weeks basically) with 5 days to spare.
Customs:
Customs into the UK ended up costing me 19% of the UK amount that I had paid for the ring (I imagine this was VAT plus 2-odd% import duty but not sure – could have just been VAT only on a less favourable exchange rate). Note that the ad-valorem penalty taxes the EU put in place are currently suspended so the 34% tax horror stories just don’t apply at the moment. And the whole thing is dramatically cheaper overall than something equivalent here in the UK would have been, not to mention a thousand times easier.
Impressions of ring:
I haven’t looked at it in all lights yet but I love it. The Asscher is brilliant at alternating between a pool of light and little flashes. And the ring is beautifully proportioned and so much more delicate than you think. Having trouble working out how to hide it from GF for the next 2 weeks though.
One thing I will stress to people is remember how dainty and small these things really are! If you haven’t been and looked at a ring for a while and you’ve been focussed on emailed and internet pictures its easy to forget these are often well over 10x magnification! I am not suggesting at all that the 1.03 carat Asscher is smaller than it should be or I thought (although I do realise they “face-up” smaller than 1 carat rounds) but the remember the real size and don’t get super caught up in tiny details at 30x magnification.

So that was a stupidly long post but thought if people on the lookout for anything similar wanted someone else’s experiences then it may help.

Photos of diamond, idealscope and setting to follow. Hand shots not possible yet unless you want it jammed on my ugly little finger!

Thanks all.
10.gif

nzguy

Rough_Rock
Seems because the diamond and idealscope images are already on my other post I can''t upload them! But heres the finished product. Like the reflection of the photographer in the images! Thats one hell of an inclusion
2.gif

GW.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for taking the time to post your experience nzguy! i can''t wait to see your pics! best of luck on your proposal!! (she''s gonna love it!!)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
to get the other images to post, you have to rename the files
2.gif
(make them unique!)

awesome asscher!!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
nzguy,
I loved reading your story and think the ring is amazing!! I think you story will be very helpful to others and can''t wait to hear about your proposal. She is going to flip when she sees it. Good job!!!
30.gif
36.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful ring!!! Step cuts are my favorite and the Asscher is gorgeous!!! Congrats!! Good luck on your proposal!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

nzguy

Rough_Rock
Thanks to belle for the IT tips (and kind words
1.gif
) here are the 40x image and idealscope

nzguy Asscher 40x.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! We don''t get to see many asschers set in the x-prong, what a beautiful match! Both the stone and setting are perfect. Thanks for sharing your experience with all the details, it will be of great help to all the people to follow who search for such info (and it was very interesting to read.)

Please post her reaction and hand shots post-proposal. I bet she will be blown away by both your effort and the ring''s beauty!

nzguy

Rough_Rock
So hope this info helps anyone looking for something similar. Other tips and observations:

1. Like everyone says the education is important to make a decent purchase, but it also makes the ring itself so much more interesting! I keep getting out my cheapo magnifying glass to check out the diamond from different angles etc. I will need to hold off for a day or two before boring my GF to death with all the details when I give it to her! "Yeah its pretty, but see how the 5 steps on the pavilion give you this deep look and you can see the higher crown from the side and..."
3.gif

2. There has been interesting discussions here around what the idealscope should look like etc - I thought I''d point out that if there is a dark ring on the IS like mine it looks pretty cool - basically from a certain angle in certain light, the middle (I think) of the 5 "steps" is reflecting differently than the others and you get a clearer impression of the concentric octagons/squares going into the diamond. Of course, shift it 1 degree the other way and it all looks different again!

3. Asscher''s are obviously amazing from the top, but I find the profile great too - maybe vendors here should consider sending side images as well? I realise it won''t show the technicalities of the diamond as well, and should not be a deciding factor but seeing the crown height and the significant depth is really interesting.

4. Strmr on here (Asscher man that he is) always talks about the 10 mile deep look. Can''t help you with you how to identify it without seeing it but I now see exactly what he means. I am still surprised when I look into it from above and then turn it sideaways - always think its going to be 3 inches high off the ring (the 3 inch deep look??) Very clever...

5. Halogen lights rock with a diamond like this.
1.gif

6. Again, Bob @ Whiteflash was fantastic. Don''t want to be accused of being a newbie talking up one vendor but they are the one lot I dealt with and always overdelivered and made it a very friendly, professional and personable job. When they are the only people who know you are about to get engaged, its nice to have them be such great people! I''ve said it alot Bob, but kia ora (good Kiwi-ism there for you)...
2.gif

So, this was basically meant to be a "pay-back" in knowledge to this forum. Thanks everyone for your comments here and in my previous searching thread (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cut-cornered-square-step-asscher-vs-square-emerald-asscher.28607/=)
Must admit I now expect it is also a subconscious "aaaghhhh I need to tell someone about this!!!"
3.gif

Thanks all

nzguy

Rough_Rock
Oh, and cheers to

strmrdr
valeria101
kimmbe
belle
kaleigh
AChiOAlumna
fountainfairfax

for help and kind words as well as the million other people whose posts I read on this topic (e.g. Mara and OrangeHorse amongst many others)

So THIS is what the internet is for...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome!
Congrates!
Let us know how the proposal goes!
The 10 mile deep look is my favorite part glad you like it :}

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Well done--the ring is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for posting your ring-buying experiences.

Good luck with the proposal & don''t forget to post hand shots!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow those pictures are amazing, what a beautiful stone. Congratulations and let us know how the proposal goes!!! And then we want tons of pics and hand shots!!!! I can''t wait to see it, she is going to flip!!!! Good luck.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks so much for sharing your experience. Looks like a beautiful stone. Congrats and please keep us posted
1.gif

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
wow, the ring is gorgeous and the process sounds time consuming, your future fiancee will be shocked and hopefully thrilled that you took so much time to research and propose. How are you going to propose.

nzguy

Rough_Rock
Proposal? Oh damn, thats right - knew there was a reason for this...
1.gif

Well we are leaving London in 4 days to bum around Italy for the rest of the year so am intending to do something (unsure exactly what yet) in Florence when we get there in 2 weeks time. Trying to plan at the moment though! Love the Villa San Michele there but dinner and a suite there is about the same cost as the ring! Well, not quite but still...
Basically thinking nice private garden somewhere around there for "the act" followed by a great authentic Italian dinner. Actually looking at some of the villas and wineries in Chianti around Florence...

afrodyt2000

Rough_Rock
sounds wonderful. I can''t wait to go to Italy someday, I love Venice from all the pictures and travel shows I''ve seen so far.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I just love Florence, especially the Ponte de Vecchio!!! Great eye candy. The food is amazing.I can''t imagine a more beautiful setting for a proposal. That''s great, it will be so romantic!!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, that sounds AMAZING. my parents go to Italy every year and just ooo and ahh about everything. enjoy
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 12:40:44 PM
Author: nzguy
Proposal? Oh damn, thats right - knew there was a reason for this...
1.gif

Well we are leaving London in 4 days to bum around Italy for the rest of the year so am intending to do something (unsure exactly what yet) in Florence when we get there in 2 weeks time. Trying to plan at the moment though! Love the Villa San Michele there but dinner and a suite there is about the same cost as the ring! Well, not quite but still...
Basically thinking nice private garden somewhere around there for ''the act'' followed by a great authentic Italian dinner. Actually looking at some of the villas and wineries in Chianti around Florence...
florence!?
36.gif
oh, that is going to be sooooo romantic! i wish you the very best!
and...... i hope you will come back and tell us about the proposal (and show some ring pics!)
have a wonderful trip!!
1.gif

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Hey NZ Guy! The ring is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for paying the information forward for other posters. Your lady is quite the lucky lady! Have a fabulous time in Italy (I''m very jealous). Wow....to pop around Europe for six months....it''s a dream. Can''t wait to hear all about the proposal. Best of luck! Hold onto that ring tight. You don''t want to have something happen to it while you are out cruising around one day.

Somewhat off topic...where at in NZ are you from? My BF (soon to be fiance) lived in Mata Mata for six years.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing all that information.
Your ring is beautiful.

Keep us posted on how things go.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results