shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher with Carre or French cut side stones?

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Which would look better with an Asscher cut in your opinion? Which would compliment an Asscher's
sparkle pattern better? Also, tapered or not? Just checked out that Frenchie thread, whew! :love: :lickout:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Really can't lose either way! I am trying to decide something similar for my WB, and whatever you choose, you made the right choice ;-)

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, miss stepcut! And what's up with setting French cuts upside down? I'd like to see a side by side comparison if you know of one.
I blew a chance to buy a vintage band with ruby step cuts a few years ago. Darn it, jewelry shoulda, couldas :nono:

MissCongeniality

Shiny_Rock
Leon's got some photos of french cuts upside down in wedding bands on his website.
I dont know how to post them. Maybe somebody around here does. :)

I personally LOVE Asschers with Fench cuts. :appl: :love:

I'd love to see them with Carre as well.

Would love to see photos!!!!!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Either would look amazing! I'm excited to see what you decide on and of course, the finished product!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either!

JJcarre1.jpg
JJcarre2.jpg
JJfrench1.jpg
jjfrench2.jpg
jjcarre3.jpg

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I think both would look stunning. I have an AVC with tapered carre cut stones and I love it. Carre cut stones have a very subtle sparkle almost looking like an engraved band at a distance. French cut stones have more fire and sparkle that might be a nice contrast with your Asscher. I dont know if budget plays any factor for you but carre cut stones are somewhat less expensive than french cut stones. Also tapered designed rings are also a little more expensive than a band with all the same size stones as there is more labor involved in a tapered band. Ofcourse this may have changed but that was my experience earlier this year. I am sure whatever you decide on will look beautiful :)

MissCongeniality

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting the pics!

Both would look nice with the Asscher. It all depends on what you like best.

IMHO, I think I still prefer the French cuts.

Let us know what you decide with pics!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tapered DEFINITELY.

I would chose Carre, but Frenchies would be lovely was well.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Gypsy, tapered. Unless you want to wear another band next to it, then straight will allow you to the rings stay flush.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the Carre too... Either works though....

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone, especially Gypsy for the pics :cheeky: :love: :twirl:

Thinking out loud here, please stay with me brain trust:

How about a box octagon bezel, milgrained, 28 small diamonds around the bezel, with 3 in each corner, 4 along each side. The three enclosed in "walls" or "walled in corners" on each corner to emphasize the octagon even more. Engraving on the side of the octagon shaped box. Next, a 3/4 knife edge split shank pave (sturdy-type pave), or 3/4 tapering carre shank. French cut band 2 or 2.5 to go with it, ie., ride under it in case of manual labor or child care when you just want to wear the band. Also 3/4 around and engraving on sides to match the box. I don't really want to wear a third band. Though I wouldn't turn it down :cheeky:

I wish I could describe it better, maybe I'll sketch this weekend unless someone knows of something already out there like that or has a Photoshop moment. I got some ideas from this Mark Patterson set WR748PD and Erica Courtney, the Madison, Gorgeous and Engaged. I think the Mark Patterson is high quality, but I was looking for a little more vintage detail but the other one just looks terrible to me though I love a lot of what is going on there. My apologies to anyone with that one, I just want what I want-yow that sounds bad :twisted: I think I'll donate to the food bank now. I feel like VC or Singlestone could meld these thoughts together into something spectacular.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
backwardsandinheels|1322842573|3072944 said:
Thanks everyone, especially Gypsy for the pics :cheeky: :love: :twirl:

Thinking out loud here, please stay with me brain trust:

How about a box octagon bezel, milgrained, 28 small diamonds around the bezel, with 3 in each corner, 4 along each side. The three enclosed in "walls" or "walled in corners" on each corner to emphasize the octagon even more. Engraving on the side of the octagon shaped box. Next, a 3/4 knife edge split shank pave (sturdy-type pave), or 3/4 tapering carre shank. French cut band 2 or 2.5 to go with it, ie., ride under it in case of manual labor or child care when you just want to wear the band. Also 3/4 around and engraving on sides to match the box. I don't really want to wear a third band. Though I wouldn't turn it down :cheeky:

I wish I could describe it better, maybe I'll sketch this weekend unless someone knows of something already out there like that or has a Photoshop moment. I got some ideas from this Mark Patterson set WR748PD and Erica Courtney, the Madison, Gorgeous and Engaged. I think the Mark Patterson is high quality, but I was looking for a little more vintage detail but the other one just looks terrible to me though I love a lot of what is going on there. My apologies to anyone with that one, I just want what I want-yow that sounds bad :twisted: I think I'll donate to the food bank now. I feel like VC or Singlestone could meld these thoughts together into something spectacular.

Having been through the custom design process many times myself - and currently having a piece re-made because the end result didn't fit with my vision, I do have some advice that I hope you take to heart: If you have a very specific vision in mind - and it sounds like you do - you should talk in-depth with potential vendors, and make sure you're on the same page with regard to three things:
1. They understand the specific design elements you want,
2. They understand the overall Look and Feel you want,
3. You come to a mutually satisfactory (explicitly discussed) agreement regarding your involvement during creation, and what happens if you don't like what you see along the way or you don't like the finished product. This is a problem with going handmade - you don't have a CAD or sketches to show exactly what you'll get until you see the finished piece, and you want to be sure you don't wind up with a piece you're not fully happy with with no options.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Well, who knows when this is going to get done. Just got a house, which I didn't love/want especially, but know we need for the space. It's cool on the outside but needs everything updated in the inside, including furniture to fill it. I know this is a very dumb thing to complain about, especially in this economy. Part of me feels like I wanted the upgrade before the house upgrade, and now it'll never happen. One of my friends kept teasing me about that. DH doesn't care about jewels too much. I know he loves me, and everybody is healthy. That is what's important. But I still feel super sad sometimes. Maybe all those dopey Kay commercials are getting to me.

I did donate to the Food Bank by the way. And I adopted a military family where all they asked for is coats for 4 kids, no toys. Sorry, I think I just needed to have a good cry. I'm good now :))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nothing but sympathy here - I know what it's like when one's priorities veer towards the luxuries that make life worth living well before they do towards the boring practical bits! I was lurking on this thread - hey, both options sound awesome, so I was curious to see which way you'd swing - but I had to chime in. I hope you are good now, and not discouraged ... after all, you never know when an excellent deal will come up (on the ring, on the furniture, what have you). And in the meantime, plenty of time to finalize the design in your head, right? Or at least, that's what I try to tell myself ....

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Circe, cyber hugs, thank you :wavey: So nice to know there is somebody who's been there. Perhaps it was all the stress of the house + Christmas=meltdown. Can happen to anybody I suppose. To me it's better than the shoppers I saw giving each other the finger over parking spaces today, Geez... A little thing happened that made me feel better too. It felt like I was in a movie-while decorating our tree we noticed a tiny little bird nest close to the trunk a few branches from the top. It was so sweet and so powerful, you know?
Thanks again, will post if there is ever any movement forward on this project. I'm all good now ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results