shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher/emerald cut: Feedback on three diamond choices

defscott627

Rough_Rock
Hi All-

I am new to the site, and I am in the midst of diamond and engagement ring research, and it is driving me crazy. :errrr:

Anyway, I am looking to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend, and after quite a bit of research, I have narrowed my diamond choices down to three (from jamesallen.com). My budget for the entire ring is about $8,000, but I am willing to stretch it to $9 or $10,000 if need be. The three diamonds that I am deciding between (and on which I would love your input):

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Asscher-cut/1.23-carat-H-color-VS1-clarity-sku-184585
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Asscher-cut/1.20-carat-H-color-VVS2-clarity-sku-190183
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Emerald-cut/1.26-carat-H-color-VVS1-clarity-sku-178104

My goal is to get the nicest yet biggest looking diamond for the price. Although square and rectangular-cut diamonds seem to show color more than the brilliant cuts, H color seemed acceptable (according to truthaboutdiamonds.com and a few YouTube videos that I watched on diamond color). (Remember I still have to buy the band, so I am trying to keep the diamond budget under $7k).

Thank you for your input and your suggestions. Look forward to hearing from you.

defscott627

Rough_Rock
I don't think she has a preference between the Asscher and the Emerald - she had just told me that she really likes the square and rectangular step-cuts. The only reason i threw the Emerald into the mix is because even though it's a 1.26ct and relatively similar in weight to the other two, the surface area (if you multiply the l x w) of the table is 41.475 square millimeters as opposed to 33.58 and 33.16 for the other two, so I thought maybe it would appear bigger from aerial view, though the depth is much shallower than the two Asschers as well.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Laying on their side is not a very good position for step cuts so the pictures are only an indication.
To me the EC looks dark in the center and the weakest of the 3.
Of the SE I like the one JulieN posted and would get aset for it and the 2 you found they could also be excellent.
I'm not too worried about it being eyeclean, looks like a vs2 grade setting crystal but ask anyway.

defscott627

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your help. I requested the ASET images for the diamonds you mentioned. Is there something I should be looking for in the ASET image? Or should I repost them here?

What are your thoughts on the prices of these diamonds? Do you think I could negotiate a better deal in the diamond district? (I live in NY).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post them here or go to NYC and see them in person!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results