shape
carat
color
clarity

asscher color- how low can you go?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
hi everyone!

i know its subjective, but truly, how low in color can you go in an asscher cut before the stone looks tinged yellow? i am looking at a 0.8 carat asscher white gold pendant online but the color is J and I was leary since i know this cut shows more color than an ideal RB, but its a small stone so i didnt know if it would be visible.

thanks!
sarah
2.gif

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sarah,

This is what I've gleaned from this site so far:

The bigger the stone, the more body color might show.
The better cut the stone, the less the color will show.
Some blue flouresence will also whiten up the stone some.
Some people's eyes are more color sensitive than others.
In a blind taste test, more people were drawn to warmer colors (I forgot who performed this experiment)
Color isn't as evident in a pendant as it is in a ring.

My personal experience with an asscher is this: I owned one for a brief, lovely weekend (changed my mind about the shape and went back to looking for a round brilliant). It was 3.14ct I/IF. The cut was about as close to a perfect cut as one can get, with a high crown and tons of fire and brilliance. The color was not evident to me. I would hazard to guess that if this is a very well cut stone under 1ct, the color should not be that evident, if at all.

You should, of course, see it with your own eyes before you pay for it. If that's not possible, make sure the return policy is iron-clad!

Good luck,
LizzyD

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
thanks lizzyd! they vendor states it looks very white and they do have a good return policy so I just may have to take the plunge! man i am so obsessed with diamonds after discovering this site!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they have a good return policy, sounds like you have nothing to loose. I myself am in awe of the asschers recently and would love to get a pendant or even a rhr. Please let us know how you make out, and post pics!!! Personally I think a J would show some color, but who knows, maybe you''ll be the lucky one!! Good luck!
1.gif

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
Personally, I would not go below an F for any fancy shape. I can see color in a G asscher. If you are not color sensitive you may not see this.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
hi bluepetal,

that definitely is my concern. i''m not sure if i am color sensitive or not. sometimes i can see the "yellow" in my H round brilliant in certain lights but it doesnt bother me, because its not a weird yellow but just feels like everyone here says, slightly "warm". most of the time it looks icey white. but of course it is an ideal cut round brilliant. i dont have too much experience with fancy cut stones. the pictures i have seen of this asscher look pretty white but then too its a picture, who knows how it will look in real light. im still pondering this one!!!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2005 10:37
6.gif
7 AM
Author: glaucomflecken
hi bluepetal,

that definitely is my concern. i''m not sure if i am color sensitive or not. sometimes i can see the ''yellow'' in my H round brilliant in certain lights but it doesnt bother me, because its not a weird yellow but just feels like everyone here says, slightly ''warm''. most of the time it looks icey white. but of course it is an ideal cut round brilliant. i dont have too much experience with fancy cut stones. the pictures i have seen of this asscher look pretty white but then too its a picture, who knows how it will look in real light. im still pondering this one!!!

The yellow you''re seeing is probably from the lights themselves. There are certain lights that would make a D look yellow.
34.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends on your eyes, color tolerence and lighting conditions.
Generaly I dont recomend going below H and G is safer but there are a lot of people who are happy with I and J''s.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results