shape
carat
color
clarity

Are some diamonds really more beautiful than their grading report would indicate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cartier

Rough_Rock

I have had several sales people try to convince me have a super beautiful diamond and that it is not really done justice by the grading report figures.

If two diamonds appear nearly equal on a report from a reputable lab (GIA), how often would one be noticeably more beautiful than the other?

If this can happen, how would you describe these kind of differences, why are they not accounted for on the report?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
A grading report doesn''t judge "beauty".....that is quite subjective.

A grading report grades elements of a diamond....color, clarity, plots inclusions, provides measurements.......some of which are also subjective but have parameters.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The current GIA Certs/Reports don''t take into account very important details of the minor facets that have a huge impact on the visual performance of diamonds. You can have 2 seemingly identical diamonds, at least according to the GIA Certs, and one can far out perform the other visually due to variations in the minor facets sizes and alignments.
2.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Cartier,

Actually, unless I''m missing something (I do all the time!), your sales people could be exactly correct, because GIA certs don''t address particularly the most important C...cut. Diamonds could have identical characteristics on carat weight, clarity & color, both be GIA, but one could be very badly cut, and the other "ideally" cut...and unless I''m mistaken, the certs would both be accurate, and none the wiser for the difference.

Thus, the focus in this Pricescope utility on the importance of cut, and ways to figure out whether you''re getting it or not.

Sound right?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Right on Ira, PQ & Al.

I would just chime in and clarify that although 2 diamonds can have the same stats on a GIA Report, they can be completely different looking diamonds. Ie. GIA only gives table % and total depth % as well as girdle and culet when it comes to proportion data. The crucial information of crown and pavilion angles are left out and these measurement play a major role in the appearance of the diamond.

As PQ points out differences in minor facet measurements can impact the appearce as well. The differences below are among those in the major facet measurements.

This graphic depicts 2 diamonds both with identical table, total depth, girdle and culet measurements. The differences lie in the proportions, thus changing the appearance of the diamonds.

Hope this helps.

CARTIER01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results