shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Royal Asscher proportions patented?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume any cutter can cut for beauty instead of weight.

But are the specs of the RA patented?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting question.

I wonder this too. I can''t see how they could prevent other folks from doing a particular cut ... they just couldn''t name it the same thing. I was under the impression the Cut-cornered-square-step-cuts WERE almost exactly, if not exactly, RA''s pattern.

Like how could McDonalds assure no one else ended up with their secret sauce recipie or something. There are whole cookbooks devoted to "taste-a-likes" of certain propietary foods.

Can''t wait to see what people say!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
royal asschers'' unique 74 facet cut is patented.

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
i agree with ''belle''.....not only because she''s ''belle''.......but, because she''s correct. IMLO (in my lame opinion) the royal''s will always perform differently from asscher cuts simply because of the additional 16 facets (mirrors). for most of this last week, i''ve had (still have) both types stones with me. will i say that the royal is more beautiful than the asscher cut? no. when both diamonds are spec''d closely, it''s all about a difference in ''shape'' and they way they ''perform''. when i write ''perform'', i mean the way they sparkle, glisten, look wet as you stare into them...etc. hope ''belle'', ''deco'' and i have helped...wanna learn a little more? use the ''search'' here and type in royal asscher and read the ''threads''....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yea its patented but its unenforceable if someone wanted to fight it.
There are others cutting them.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/24/2006 2:24:32 PM
Author:kenny
I assume any cutter can cut for beauty instead of weight.

But are the specs of the RA patented?
I am not sure the "Royal" has a utility patent..., in this case the specs are not patented...
And even if it was patented back in the early 1900''s it would be void by now...

I assume its ''not'' patented, the name could be with a copyright.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So with 16 additional facets the Royal is kind of like the Solasfera?
More opportunities for flashes of light, but each flash has to be slightly smaller?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 9:54:35 AM
Author: kenny
So with 16 additional facets the Royal is kind of like the Solasfera?
More opportunities for flashes of light, but each flash has to be slightly smaller?
interesting analogy kenny. i would say that is pretty accurate.
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t some "Cut Cornered Square Step Cuts" have the same 72 facets the Royals do? And if they happen to cut them with the crown & pavillion specs that Royals do ... what makes them any different other than the Royal inscription?

It''s not like Royal Asscher or Fabricant can "hide" the proportions of their stones from the general public - they sell them - any one can post the specs & sarin etc etc.

In my possibly faulty opinion - you pay for a Royal if you want the guarantee that it is their "ideal" specs ... but it is possible to find one with the same EXACT specs of a Royal, same # of facets, same proportions, just without the INSCRIPTION & LOGO ...if you search far & wide enough.

Am I wrong?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 2:07:20 PM
Author: decodelighted
Don''t some ''Cut Cornered Square Step Cuts'' have the same 72 facets the Royals do? And if they happen to cut them with the crown & pavillion specs that Royals do ... what makes them any different other than the Royal inscription?
74 facets
2.gif
and 5 pavliion breaks. it is a patented cut. like strm said and you allude to, there are others that copy the cut and nothing but the inscription sets them apart. it is not legal to copy the true ra cut but enforcing it is difficult, so you may find some .... unauthorized reproductions
2.gif

In my possibly faulty opinion - you pay for a Royal if you want the guarantee that it is their ''ideal'' specs ... but it is possible to find one with the same EXACT specs of a Royal, same # of facets, same proportions, just without the INSCRIPTION & LOGO ...if you search far & wide enough.

Am I wrong?
you''re right.

so let it be written, so let it be done.
9.gif

MacClure

Brilliant_Rock
wonderful......
face11.gif
......maybe i should search for the royal look-alike. why spend the extra cash on the royal....
face17.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed.
It is only a matter of cutting the right number of facets at the right angles.

Besides I''m positive even RA''s cutters cannot cut every single facet to a precision spec of .000000001 degrees anyway.
Even the RAs angles will vary within some spec range.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 3:03:11 PM
Author: TierHog
wonderful......
face11.gif
......maybe i should search for the royal look-alike. why spend the extra cash on the royal....
face17.gif

Oh Tierhog! That''s what I was trying to say over on your thread when I mentioned the "Cut Cornered blah blah blah" the problem with ''em is, as you discovered by looking at the ones I mentioned, is that they don''t always have the IDEAL ROYAL other proportions.

ROYAL''s are indeed very, very rare & you know catchin'' ''em is crazy difficult ... And I know you''re a self described "rarity ho" ... If ROYAL''s speak to you, by all means do it! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that 1.23 royal you have there. I would not search forever for one of these look-a-likes to save a couple bucks & give up the ROYAL name -- especially given your awesome choices/ urgent timeline
2.gif
/ and LOVE of the ROYALS.

Say the "look-a-likes" were actually "more rare" & "more elusive" ... does that make them "Better" ... or "better for you?"

D''s are "more rare" too but I don''t personally adore them! Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

Don''t put TOO much power in the stone "representing" your and Tanya''s obviously very, very special love. Any stone you choose won''t make THAT "less rare" or "less precious". Okay?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/25/2006 2:28:43 PM
Author: belle

Don''t some ''Cut Cornered Square Step Cuts'' have the same 72 facets the Royals do? And if they happen to cut them with the crown & pavillion specs that Royals do ... what makes them any different other than the Royal inscription?
74 facets
2.gif
and 5 pavliion breaks. it is a patented cut. like strm said and you allude to, there are others that copy the cut and nothing but the inscription sets them apart. it is not legal to copy the true ra cut but enforcing it is difficult, so you may find some .... unauthorized reproductions
2.gif

In my possibly faulty opinion - you pay for a Royal if you want the guarantee that it is their ''ideal'' specs ... but it is possible to find one with the same EXACT specs of a Royal, same # of facets, same proportions, just without the INSCRIPTION & LOGO ...if you search far & wide enough.

Am I wrong?
you''re right.

so let it be written, so let it be done.
9.gif
If i am not mistaken, 8 facets are calculated as girdle facets...
And again, in my "sole" opinion its not "utility" patented...
I dont think any Emerald Cuts are patented, since they originate from the Colored, Precious Gemstone "Beryll" aka green Emerald.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/25/2006 3:14:46 PM
Author: kenny
Indeed.
It is only a matter of cutting the right number of facets at the right angles.

Besides I''m positive even RA''s cutters cannot cut every single facet to a precision spec of .000000001 degrees anyway.
Even the RAs angles will vary within some spec range.

All Utility Patents have Angle Ranges....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 6:26:12 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
I believe the patent was granted in the 1920''s and so is long expired (they last about 20 years and give a monpoly to the inventor).

But the name is trade marked - wether it is registered or not.

Royal Asscher patent was granted in 2001 the original Asscher patent was granted in 1902/1903 and long expired.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/25/2006 6:32:58 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 3/25/2006 6:26:12 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
I believe the patent was granted in the 1920''s and so is long expired (they last about 20 years and give a monpoly to the inventor).

But the name is trade marked - wether it is registered or not.

Royal Asscher patent was granted in 2001 the original Asscher patent was granted in 1902/1903 and long expired.
Then anyone can cut the original stone.
Do you know the differences bt old and new Storm?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, I can only add that "Inside Man" has one WAY cool big Royal Asscher. Of course this is Hollywood, with rap music from Bollywood, but the lineage of this diamond was very traceable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results