shape
carat
color
clarity

Are peg heads a cheap shortcut??

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Why do some jewelry stores only seem to use peg heads? Are they cheaper? Do they require less effort when setting a diamond?

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Not necessarily. Peg heads are fine for standard sized and shaped diamonds. Having the option to select the setting and the band separately gives the customer more flexibility to customize their ring. As with most things, quality counts, so your most important decision as a customer is having a good jeweler who can help you pick out the best settings and then assemble them so they'll last a lifetime. The key steps with a peg head mount are to make sure that the solder flows completely between the mounting and the shank for a secure fit, and to have the stone properly set into the prongs. Most jewelers are as honest as the day is long, but some will be more talented with the metal work than others, so shop around and ask to see pieces they've made.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They don't require less effort when setting the stone, but they are cheaper/less effort when manufacturing the setting, as there only needs to be one version of the setting for every single size/shape of stone, then you put the peg head in that. Whereas with an integrated head, the whole ring has to be redesigned for every size/shape of center stone.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it just depends on the look you want and what you want to see on a daily basis. Don't forget to think about the side view of the ring!! As the wearer, I think you see that. Lot more than the top down view. That is wh I changed from my peg head. The metal from the side view is too straight full of sharp angles. But that is just a matter of taste.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
patricias|1419230182|3805576 said:
Not necessarily. Peg heads are fine for standard sized and shaped diamonds. Having the option to select the setting and the band separately gives the customer more flexibility to customize their ring. As with most things, quality counts, so your most important decision as a customer is having a good jeweler who can help you pick out the best settings and then assemble them so they'll last a lifetime. The key steps with a peg head mount are to make sure that the solder flows completely between the mounting and the shank for a secure fit, and to have the stone properly set into the prongs. Most jewelers are as honest as the day is long, but some will be more talented with the metal work than others, so shop around and ask to see pieces they've made.

A peg head comes in handy when one is swapping a 2.05 D-VS2 oval for a 3.01 F-SI1 pear and one wants to reuse the mounting.
That is exactly what I did. Some may feel that it looks cheap but it worked for me for the last 18 years. I was not going to throw away a perfectly good mounting that was only 2 years old at the time.

Peg heads also have the advantage of allowing your wedding band to sit flush (if that is what you like) because they rise up from the shank.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are all very valid points, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I wore mountings with peg heads for over 25 years.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1419274158|3805869 said:
These are all very valid points, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I wore mountings with peg heads for over 25 years.

Not a problem, my new Vatche ring has a basket with swooping prongs that was made specifically for my Cut to Order CBI diamond. But if I ever wanted to upgrade the diamond, it would require a brand new mounting. My Tiffany Fancy Yellow diamond is in a basket setting that was made specifically for that diamond too.

I have room in my jewelry wardrobe for both. :mrgreen:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clearly any style questions are taste based.
From a pragmatic standpoint, peg heads are very good for jewelers that do not have the ability to custom make rings, and want to be able to sell semi mounts, and deliver the same day.
It is far easier- and quicker , from a manufacturing standpoint, to simply plug a peg head into a ring as opposed to making the three stone bridge necessary for a custom made three stone ring.
So the pros are expediency, and less skill required- which also equates to less costly.

the downside for me is mostly about visual aspects.
The side diamonds are on the ground floor, while your center is in the penthouse somewhere- it's virtually impossible to have the stones positioned girdle to girdle with a peg head.
But as I mentioned, this is taste based.
Some people do like the center stone set up high.

I would also not make a general statement about begin able to sit flush next to a wedding band with a peg head.
Many such rings still have parts protruding from the side making flush fit impossible.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1419277597|3805922 said:
Clearly any style questions are taste based.
From a pragmatic standpoint, peg heads are very good for jewelers that do not have the ability to custom make rings, and want to be able to sell semi mounts, and deliver the same day.
It is far easier- and quicker , from a manufacturing standpoint, to simply plug a peg head into a ring as opposed to making the three stone bridge necessary for a custom made three stone ring.
So the pros are expediency, and less skill required- which also equates to less costly.

the downside for me is mostly about visual aspects.
The side diamonds are on the ground floor, while your center is in the penthouse somewhere- it's virtually impossible to have the stones positioned girdle to girdle with a peg head.
But as I mentioned, this is taste based.
Some people do like the center stone set up high.

I would also not make a general statement about begin able to sit flush next to a wedding band with a peg head.
Many such rings still have parts protruding from the side making flush fit impossible.

I stand corrected David. It allowed my wedding bands to sit flush. Even with a modified "donut", my new rings do not sit flush.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've gone with them several times in the past to allow added height and flush fitting. I didn't find them "cheap" or a shortcut, quite the contrary actually. They worked for significant customization.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You're lucky Cheryl!
The aspect of having a flush fit band is problematic for many popular ring designs.

Ame- interesting point about customization.
I was commenting based on typical retail walk in environments- like windows on 47th street that are filled with three stone semi mounts, and loose diamonds in capsules with a sign- "Set while you wait". Maybe I'm jaded......
Do you have a picture of how you customized a peg head ring- I'd love to see what you mean

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1419281957|3805987 said:
You're lucky Cheryl!
The aspect of having a flush fit band is problematic for many popular ring designs.

Ame- interesting point about customization.
I was commenting based on typical retail walk in environments- like windows on 47th street that are filled with three stone semi mounts, and loose diamonds in capsules with a sign- "Set while you wait". Maybe I'm jaded......
Do you have a picture of how you customized a peg head ring- I'd love to see what you mean
Ill have to dig through archives at home. I don't have any on this computer with me.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd be interested to see how.
We have gone the other way- starting with a shank designed for a peg head but custom making the parts in the middle.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Usually I have the peg "tweaked" or the shank tweaked or casted to work with the peg. But I am particular, as you all know.

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
While reading this thread, I have a question. If a prong needs to be replaced/fixed on a ring with an integrated head, can that be done?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In general, yes- but it's very important to reach out to the maker of the ring for repairs imo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results