shape
carat
color
clarity

Are K stones bad??

Stonewatcher

Rough_Rock
Good evening,

I am a new user here, aNd after following chats for weeks I finally decided to post a question. I been on James Allen looking at some cushion cut stones and I had found some, the only thing is that they are K colour stones. I added my photos to the message, and I would greatly appreciate if l can get some help in regards to choosing the right stone and also getting some info on why K diamonds are not seen as the ideal diamond.

Thanks

_23706.jpg

_23707.jpg

_23711.jpg

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I would say that color is very personal and you have to decide for yourself what you like. I have an August Vintage Cushion that is a K and I love it.

20141003_102952.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No particular spec is good or bad, although less color is more expensive which some people interpret that as being 'better'.
Which color you decide on is 100% personal preference.

K is less expensvie than D through J so it allows you to buy a larger stone for a given budget, or get better clarity or better cut.

Unless you have unlimited budget, like Bill Gates or Oprah, you have to compromise on the 4 Cs ... actually there are 5 Cs when you consider Cost.

My preferred compromise of the 5 Cs probably won't be one you'll agree with.
Get out and view diamond of all colors to discover your own personal preference.
You may discover you not only can tolerate the color in a K, but actually prefer it to the more-expensvie color grades with less color.
If so, lucky you.

But you should the abandon the idea that any particular color or clarity is bad or good.
Adopt the idea that you must discover the combination of Cs that is right for you.
After your homework you may end up buying a small D IF or a huge T SI2.

FWIW around G-H VS2- or an eye-clean SI1 is near the peak of bell curve.
IOW that's the grade range many people arrive at after getting informed and educated.
That doesn't mean you will.
Just be sure you only look at diamonds that were graded by GIA and AGS since other labs may have soft grades.
IOW, if a lab like EGL graded a diamond G VS1, GIA or AGS might grade that same diamond J SI1 or worse.
EGL-graded diamonds seem like a good deal ... till you learn the grades are lies.
They are currently being sued for this.

If you are buying the diamond for someone else be sure you get his or her agreement on a K color and the other specs.
Some people really do not like seeing any color in their diamond and would prefer a smaller colorless or near-colorless diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do wish you'd ask us for recommendations on JA. All of them are underwhelming performers. I wouldn't buy any of them.

K is fine. Performance is what matters. You picked duds.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Kenny gave you an extremely informative reply, with many of the points I would have made.

I have a K EC diamond and love my stone :love: I have never had anyone comment negatively on the color & get many compliments on it.
Would I buy another K? Yes in certain diamonds, I would judge it on a case by case basis.

Post your desired specs and budget on here and you'll get help picking good prospects. Unfortunately none of those ASETs look good, but that's due to the cut, not the color. You only get three ASETs there so perhaps the experts can chime in with other diamonds for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to Gypsy on those cushions being duds, and good example of a well cut cushion posted by woofmama.

While I might do K color in an antique cushion (such as Rena's) and maybe a step cut, I would recommend no lower than J color for any modern briliant cut stone, really. You will see the tint in a K.

Stonewatcher

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. My budget is 4000 all in and I am looking for a cushion or princess cut. K would be fine, but I would prefer a step up (either j or I). I wanna have a fairly decent size and also a good cut. Sorry I'm kinda new to knowing the cut of diamonds. I don't need something what will break the bank, but something what will be nice.

Let the recommendations begin!!

Thank you in advance.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 is really terrible.

Ks are problematic in cuts with a lot of leakage, the color will show more.

How much do you need to set aside for the setting? What ct weight are you thinking of?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stonewatcher|1414799361|3775729 said:
Good evening,

I am a new user here, aNd after following chats for weeks I finally decided to post a question. I been on James Allen looking at some cushion cut stones and I had found some, the only thing is that they are K colour stones. I added my photos to the message, and I would greatly appreciate if l can get some help in regards to choosing the right stone and also getting some info on why K diamonds are not seen as the ideal diamond.

Thanks

Because too many people are buying the paper and not the diamond
. K colors can be deliciously beautiful with a rich warm buttery flavor, or they can look like frozen used toilet water. So much depends on the cut and how the light is returned to the eye. Well cut diamonds with lots of large sparkles will most often look fantastic, regardless of how much or how little color is present. Poorly cut D colored stones can look like lifeless lumps of crystallized carbon.

Color and clarity are rarity issues and have a tremendous effect on the cost of the diamond, but the true determinant of beauty is the quality issue of the cut of the diamond and the expertise with which the cutter treated his starting stone.

Wink

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful choices Julie!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Error.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1414818576|3775853 said:
If you are looking at .7cts and a $700 setting, your budget is entirely sufficient for higher colors.

Some suggestions:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5111347-1.00-carat-Cushion-diamond-H-color-VS2-clarity.aspx PS member discount should bring this one in budget.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6250098-1.00-carat-Cushion-diamond-I-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

Rectangular cushion: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6250088-1.07-carat-Cushion-diamond-H-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

Get ASETs of these. I'm sure Julie meant to advise that.

B2C can provide you them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ariel144|1414823971|3775878 said:
K color in a well cut stone can be very beautiful.

Here is a J under your budget that will be a disco ball

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12663/

1c antique cushion under budget
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-01ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-j-si1.html#.VFR-BYvF_K0

over budget:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-27ct-oec-egl-k-vs1.html#.VFR-7IvF_K0

Good luck with your search.

I like the first pick. I wouldn't buy either of the other two.

Stonewatcher

Rough_Rock
Just spoke to B2C. They do not have Asets for these 3 stones according to the person l been speaking to over the phone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stonewatcher|1414833117|3775900 said:
Just spoke to B2C. They do not have Asets for these 3 stones according to the person l been speaking to over the phone.

Then call Brilliantly Engaged or GoG and ask them to source a great performing stone for you. They will provide you with everything you need including ASET and if you request it, videos.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sold a .99 K VS1 August Vintage Cushion about a month or so back and it was mostly white facing most of the time. Old cuts do hide colour or look better with a bit of a tint as the case might be with some stones IMHO. I think contacting GOG and Brilliantly Engaged to find something well cut within your budget is a great suggestion.

A smaller custom cut cushion or a cushion with ASET images that performs well is going to be a superior stone to a larger one from other places with no ASET images and a smucky performance, like the stones you have picked above.

umbrella

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1414913807|3776265 said:
I sold a .99 K VS1 August Vintage Cushion about a month or so back and it was mostly white facing most of the time. Old cuts do hide colour or look better with a bit of a tint as the case might be with some stones IMHO. I think contacting GOG and Brilliantly Engaged to find something well cut within your budget is a great suggestion.

A smaller custom cut cushion or a cushion with ASET images that performs well is going to be a superior stone to a larger one from other places with no ASET images and a smucky performance, like the stones you have picked above.

Hi arkie. Are you able to tell me more about the K colour? I'm currently shopping for an AVR in the .7-.9 range and it seems like K is the best for my budget, but I'm just really worried the colour will be obviously tinted from a distance or look "murky" and definitely not resembling yellow. I quite like the look of slightly warm stones, but I have never had hands on experience with any AVCs or AVRs as like you, I'm also in Australia. I have seen a poorly cut RBC "J" which I think was probably more like at least an L. Other than that, there aren't many stores to see OEC diamonds at in Aus, especially ones which are ideally cut with a large variety of colours and sizes. FWIW I'm planning on putting it into a setting similar to this: http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/shop/designers/beverley-k/products/beverley-k-round-halo-engagement-ring-with-pave-diamond-details

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Good Old Gold has numerous videos comparing colors side by side. They are on Vimeo or something.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
umbrella|1414915001|3776266 said:
arkieb1|1414913807|3776265 said:

Hi arkie. Are you able to tell me more about the K colour? I'm currently shopping for an AVR in the .7-.9 range and it seems like K is the best for my budget, but I'm just really worried the colour will be obviously tinted from a distance or look "murky" and definitely not resembling yellow. I quite like the look of slightly warm stones, but I have never had hands on experience with any AVCs or AVRs as like you, I'm also in Australia. I have seen a poorly cut RBC "J" which I think was probably more like at least an L. Other than that, there aren't many stores to see OEC diamonds at in Aus, especially ones which are ideally cut with a large variety of colours and sizes. FWIW I'm planning on putting it into a setting similar to this: http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/shop/designers/beverley-k/products/beverley-k-round-halo-engagement-ring-with-pave-diamond-details

I'd probably advise having I/J coloured stones in the halo so there is not a huge colour difference. Most people saw the K that I owned looking like this (ie they described it as fairly colourless);
avc_photo_2.jpg

You can see a hint of colour next to a G/H band but it's not a huge colour difference and colourwise the stone was NEVER ugly;
avc_colour_comparison_of_stone_no1_0.jpg

If in doubt ask GOG to make you a comparison video.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results