shape
carat
color
clarity

Are fluorescences bad?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maddie

Rough_Rock
Looking at a beautiful D vs2 diamond however it contains faint fluorescences- is that a bad thing?

squirerad

Shiny_Rock
I think faint fluoro is probably a plus with a D color since it is highly unlikely to affect the brilliance, color, or visual effects of the diamond, it will lower the price slightly for such an icy white and hence $$$ stone.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the old days, say back before 1978, blue fluorescence was considered a plus and we paid about a 10% premium for a stone with medium to strong blue fluorescence, provided it was not an overblue. (Very strong fluorescence that causes a roily oily look out of doors. Most strong blue fluorescent stones are NOT overblues, but when they are they are REALLY ugly out of doors.)

Sometimme during the investment craze of the late seventies this changed and became a negative for the higher colored stones. From the April 2nd Rapaport Diamond report here is what they say about the price effect of the various strengths of fluorescence in DE colored stones.

Very Strong IF - VVS -10 to -15% VS -6 to -10% SI1 to I3 -0 to -3%
Strong (I will just list VS from here on down as it is the relevent catagory to your question) -3 to -5%
Medium -1 to -2%
Faint 0 for all catagories.

I hope this puts your mind at ease, it is really not an issue to have faint fluoresence, so long as it is not some strange color that is visible. Yellow has a more negative affect on both the appearance and the pricing, but not at the faint level. This is often used when the fluorescence is so faint that you often imagine that you are seeing more a reflection of the ultraviolet light than actual fluorescence.

Wink

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Faint" is just that - something that can hardly be seen under grading conditions and copletely invisible otherwise.
And no, in general fluorescence does not affect the look of diamonds - it is indeed rare to see any mark of it in colorless stones. Obviously, the exceptional caes when fluorescence shows, would not have it "faint" but extremely strong...

It is a bit puzzling why high white stones get discounted for being fluorescent (in absence of viasula detraction) - just one mroe excuse to decalre some of them "rarer" an dthe others " a good buy", I would say...
read.gif

Good to see some numbers (Thanks
1.gif
) on it too, of course !

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
People are always complimenting me on how sparkly my diamonds are and I know most have fair to moderate flourescence. I swear that is why they are so sparkly. I now ask for it when I buy new stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results