shape
carat
color
clarity

Are colored diamond cut deeper?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Recently, I had been helping a friend of mine look for her engagement ring. She is looking at for a pink diamond in the 5 carat range. However some of the diamonds we saw face up smaller than a white diamond. The jeweller says that they often cut colored diamond deeper to bring out the color of the diamond. Is this true?

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2008 11:59:23 PM
Author:threepwood
Recently, I had been helping a friend of mine look for her engagement ring. She is looking at for a pink diamond in the 5 carat range. However some of the diamonds we saw face up smaller than a white diamond. The jeweller says that they often cut colored diamond deeper to bring out the color of the diamond. Is this true?

Hi threepwood,

Since pinks are so precious, cutters often cut to save as much weight of the stone and they also cut for color. This might explain why you are coming across many that face up smaller.

Wow 5 carats - lucky gal! What shade of pink is she looking for? As her friend - be sure to take lots of pics
26.gif

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reply! I was just making sure that my friend was getting her money's worth.. Yes, she is a lucky girl! She was thinking of get the lighter shade of pink or maybe light pinkish-purple..
30.gif
30.gif
Btw, I love your colored diamonds collection! I love the blue diamond you have the most!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The cut design of many fancy color diamonds is engineered to maximixe the depth and even presentation of the body color. Often this means reducing brilliancy and increasing darkness which the eyes perceive as more saturate color when, in fact, it is the same saturation but a deeper tone. It get technical, but what the eyes see is the crucial value maker.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2008 9:16:59 AM
Author: oldminer
The cut design of many fancy color diamonds is engineered to maximixe the depth and even presentation of the body color. Often this means reducing brilliancy and increasing darkness which the eyes perceive as more saturate color when, in fact, it is the same saturation but a deeper tone. It get technical, but what the eyes see is the crucial value maker.
Since the majority of fancy colored Diamonds are cut in ways (as Dave explains) to deepen the body color..., the true rare material which naturally possess the intense color can be cut in any ordinary cutting style... (for example: rounds, Emerald Cuts, pears etc.., etc.).

But those are valued at a whole different level..., an EC or round intense might fetch 2X or even more $$$ than a (tricky) cut made to maximize color...

If you have some patience try reading the following thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-light-yellow-fancy-or-cape.66898/

The tricky cuts employed to maximize color come at a price of brilliance, since the biggest enemy for maximizing body-color is contrast!!!

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the info oldminer and DiaGem. Now I understand why the colored diamond appears smaller! Thanks for the link too..
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results