shape
carat
color
clarity

Are baguettes worth the $?

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Are baguettes (accents) worth the money? Are they more fragile? I know they are pretty thin. I've been advised that they also become dull faster and need to be cleaned more. A friend told me she wouldn't get them again in a setting. Opinions??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like them.

As for cleaning and fragility. It depends on how they are set.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had a problem with mine being fragile. Since I clean my ring every day anyways I've never had a problem with them being clean either.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All diamonds need to be cleaned often to be at their best, so I don't see baguettes as a problem in that respect. It is easy to keep a jar of jewelry cleaner on the bathroom vanity and just drop them in every morning while getting dressed. Then a little brush to the diamonds and rinse with hot water and they have all their sparkle! I really only use my ultrasonic cleaner about once a month, but once a week would even be better!

I also don't look at it as a matter of them being worth the money, because they certainly are worth the money if that is the setting design that you truly love. It is a very classy and classic look, in my opinion!

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,
The ring I'm referring to has channel set baguettes. What do you think of those?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah channel set baguettes. I just looked back at your earlier thread about choosing between the two yellow gold round channel set rings. I very much prefer the set on the right because the wider set takes away from your beautiful diamond. I am going to say that I am not sure I would love channel set baguettes as a setting for a round brilliant. That would require daily cleaning. If you have a picture, please post it.

Since you are running up against a return period, I would encourage you to return the set you have and get them to put it into the cheapest solitaire setting they have so you can wear the diamond and take your time and find something you love. I don't think you should be pressured to decide in the next few days because there are hundreds of gorgeous choices out there and some you may not even have seen yet!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelmel, DS makes a really good suggestion - maybe you should give yourself more time so you don't feel rushed or pressured. Will the store refund your money, or is it an exchange?

kelmel

Rough_Rock
DS,
Thanks for your honest input. Yes, I am starting to feel a bit rushed. I also have concerns about the setting taking away from diamond. I wanted something different, but classic. My friend said the same thing about the baguettes. She said they seem to show dirt and oil faster. I'm going to try and post a pic.

_26441.jpg

kelmel

Rough_Rock
junebug17,
Yes, I do think DS makes a good point. I hate to make a rushed decision!

kelmel

Rough_Rock
The pic doesn't show the detail of the baguettes. The wider set is alternating rounds and baguettes.

photo_1082.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I greatly prefer the thinner bands on the second set. I think it would make your diamond look larger.

I might also suggest, if you have not already done so, to look through the ring folder here, starting with the more recent and then going back. You might even get some other ideas.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/page-301']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/page-301[/URL]

Also, look at the engagement rings from Victor Canera which many members here have chosen due to his superior workmanship and design. Most are around 2mm shanks and many choose matching wedding bands to go with them. These really help the diamond to stand out.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/[/URL]

kelmel

Rough_Rock
DS,
Thanks so much. I will check out the links. I certainly do want my diamond to stand out.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The fragility problem is mostly an issue for the setter. Yes, they're easy to chip. That said, if you have anything like a normal wear pattern, that's unlikely to be an issue. If you're an abusive kind of owner and you do things like rock climbing or gardening with your ring on, I would avoid them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Channel set is a bit different. Some of those are REALLY freaking hard to get and keep clean. You have to be picky. And they, like all diamond, do dull if you can't get them clean. You have to make sure the azures in the setting are large enough to let the dirt come out and placed correctly to allow that too.

I agree with DS. This isn't a good thing to rush.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have had tapered baguettes (4 of them) for (almost) 12 years. They have come loose twice. And they do stay dirtier than my round center. I've never had any trouble with them chipping, but jewelers warn me about them all the time. But honestly, I just love them. They are just so classy to me. So for me, yes, they are worth it. But mine aren't channel set, they are bar set.

Now in the pictures you showed, I prefer the thinner bands as well. And I have recently reset my diamond - in sort of a haste - so I would also follow the advice above and set the diamond in a cheap solitaire until you can really make up your mind. that is what I wish I had done.......

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Thanks unsettled!

I have a friend that said the same...baguettes have to be cleaned more frequently. She said after a few days they start looking like a piece of glass with no pop. As much as I love my jewelry, I really don't want to clean it every day. I also observed the baguettes in the current setting really take on a gray color if light doesn't hit them just the right way. I know it is because they have fewer facets.

I initially loved the setting on the left (wider one); however, after reading everyone's advice/opinions, I think I will probably fair better with the more delicate setting. I don't want people to notice my setting more than my diamond. :) In addition, with the thinner set, I have more options. I could wear a thin band on either side of the ering. I could even play with bands with colored stones to change things up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results