shape
carat
color
clarity

Approx Ten Per cent Price Hike at Tiffany

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock
Sooo, anybody notice yesterday's 10 per cent price hike at Tiffany?

I've just been doing a lot of web-daydreaming in the past few days, and although I think Tiffany is wildly overpriced for gold, platinum and diamonds, I like to relax with a cup of tea and browse the lovely pics on their site.

The lapis lazuli and diamond 18k gold Color by the Yard was $900 but yesterday it shot to $995. (For anyone who's interested, this is the updated version of the sapphire cabochon and diamond Tiffany necklace that the Duchess of Cambridge, formerly Kate Middleton, wore when she got engaged.)

The platinum 1-diamond Yard bracelet was six hundred and something, I forgot exactly, but now it's $700.

The platinum three-stone DBTY bracelet was $1155 and is now $1250.

A platinum necklace with a .30 sapphire flanked by two tiny diamonds in the DBTY style was $2,600 and is now $2,900. Same for the necklace with the pink sapphire.

An 18k yellow gold solitaire necklace with a 0.05 ct diamond was $395 and is now $425.

The silver horseshoe necklace was $175 and is now $200.

The mini Metro diamond horseshoe necklace in white gold was six hundred and something (I think) and is now $875.

How DO they get away with this? (By the way, Blue Nile does the same thing - a pair of diamond drop earrings has shot from $940 to $1260 in the past six months, and a semi-precious 36-inch station necklace was $230 a few months ago and is now $285.)

I appreciate that wholesale prices may have risen, but these price hikes just seem insane.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should mention that I own quite a few pieces of Tiffany silver, but would never buy their gold, diamond or platinum. I obtained quite a few of my silver pieces 5-10 years ago when silver was cheaper, and I stick to pieces that seem good value. For example, I bought the silver horseshoe necklace when it first came out. It's about the size of a quarter, and is thick, heavy and solid. I thought $150 was a good price when it came out about a year ago. Then it went to $175 and now is $200!

Anyway, this price hike is just crazy, it seems to me...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There have been substantial price hikes in diamonds and precious metals - Tiffany is just following suit and had a previous price increase in June as well. There has been much written from the experts here on PS about the how and why of these increases. Doesn't make for happy consumers but you gotta pay for your pleasures unfortunately.

The Tiffany name has always come with a premium and obviously, people still pay their prices. I bought a diamond wedding band in May from Tiffany's and absolutely love it. I loved the design and the workmanship and so for me it was worth it - and I got a branded piece of jewelry which in all honesty didn't hurt my feelings either! Just a matter of personal preference for those that decide to buy from Tiffany. The band in my size is now $275 more than it was in May.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results