shape
carat
color
clarity

appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

microcarter

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a GIA certified diamond from DCD and am going to have it set by a custom jeweler where I live. He was recommended by some friends and I like his work. He said once everything was done he would also give me a full appraisal. He is not a diamond dealer or retailer, he just does custom work. Do you think I should still get the ring appraised elsewhere?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, if you want or need a professional opinion.
No, if all you want is to buy insurance and you believe you totally understand the nature and condition of the diamond.

A extra appraisal opinion is not a "requirement". This is a way to be certain you are not making a large mistake and just trusting someone blindly. When I was a kid, I learned, first hand, how con-men operate. Con-men are charming people and get you to trust them when you have no reason to. Then they take your trusting nature and make you hurt and angry. If you learn from the experience and you didn't pay a whole lot, then no problem. But, if you are paying a ton of money, it makes good sense not to trust someone because they say "they trust you" or because "they sound so nice". Those things, unfortunately, are keys to spotting a con-man's game. Innocence is the con-man's target. Big money makes people try some very tricky things from time to time.
xxxxxxxxx
This was not written to imply anything at all wrong with Jim Shultz or DCD..... I consider the person and the firm a friend and find them to be "good guys". Even so, we have checked many diamonds sold by DCD over the past couple of years because cautious people want to be certain and not too trusting. It is very much a personal decision.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/12/2004 2:27:55 PM oldminer wrote:

This was not written to imply anything at all wrong with Jim Shultz or DCD..... I consider the person and the firm a friend and find them to be 'good guys'. Even so, we have checked many diamonds sold by DCD over the past couple of years because cautious people want to be certain and not too trusting.----------------

Great people! No doubts about it.

That aside, reputable sellers encourage their customers to obtain an evaluation of the diamond by a qualified independent appraiser simply because it is a good business practice. Jim does this and so do we and most of the other diamond vendors here on PS. Not only does obtaining an independent evaluation protect you as the consumer, but it eliminates any doubt as to the quality of the diamond that a consumer might have about it in the future... Say five years from now.

We'll never forget the fallout from the 20/20 expose' on 47th street NYC a few years ago... We were so happy that we had encouraged our clients to obtain verifications of their purchase from the independent gemologist of their choosing because we received hundreds of telephone calls of gratitude as opposed to thousands of telephone calls from people who had been frightened by a bit of what we consider to be rather "sensational" journalism. BTW for those of you not familiar with the term sensational journalism it refers to the publication of material intended to invoke an emotional response often based upon false pretense as opposed to facts.

microcarter

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! I've only been checking out pricescope for a little over a month but I value your opinions. You both seem to know what you're talking about. I actually did find an independent appraiser about an hour away. Good credentials and she answered all the questions right that were suggested from the Good Old Gold website. While DCD has a great reputation (that's why I bought from them!) I think I will get the independent appraisal. My husband thinks it's overkill but I like to be thorough.

By the way, great experience so far with DCD.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results