shape
carat
color
clarity

Apple Watch: Alloy Edition

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fascinating article , not so much as concerns the watch itself, but on Apple's new, patented alloy, which uses ceramic particles in the alloy in place of copper, silver, etc. I'll be interested to see the other uses the industry will find! Apologies for the clumsy link, this is a pain in Tapatalk, unfortunately (perhaps the Apple watch would fix that ...?).

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/03/09/apple_watch_edition_the_company_found_a_trick_to_use_as_little_gold_as_possible.html

Excerpt:

" Last week, Apple cultists took note after the Financial Times published a profile of the company's design guru, Jony Ives, in which he explained that “the molecules in Apple gold are closer together, making it twice as hard as standard gold.” This was tantalizing. What sort of high-performance precious metal had the geniuses of Cupertino cooked up? Soon, Twitter and the tech blogs unearthed an answer. As Dr. Drang of Leancrew wrote, Apple had filed a patent for a method of producing 18-karat gold that was both stronger than usual and used less actual gold by volume.

The key thing to remember is that 18-karat gold is not 100 percent gold. It's an alloy, or mixture. Three quarters of its mass must be made up of gold. The last quarter is typically made up of another metallic element. But, as Dr. Drang wrote, "Apple’s gold is a metal matrix composite, not a standard alloy. Instead of mixing the gold with silver, copper, or other metals to make it harder, Apple is mixing it with low-density ceramic particles."

To put it another way, Apple is combining gold with durable materials that don't have much mass, but take up lots of space. That gives it wonderful qualities like lightness and scratch-resistance (normal gold is somewhat soft and prone to damage). And by mass, the final product is still 75 percent gold. But when it's poured into a mold to make an Apple Watch Edition's shell, the other, not-so-precious ingredients take up most of the room. Apple gets to use less gold per cubic centimeter and still call it 18-karat. It gets to stretch its gold out further than, say, Rolex would, to make a watch this size and shape. "

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is fascinating and slightly disturbing at the same time. I can't wait to hear the jewelers' take on this.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Apple's use of ceramic alloy to bulk up gold is along the lines of many modern practices that use cheaper and more accessible materials to create everyday objects. Having recently bought a house I was surprised to discover very little solid wood was used-- it is all plywood and MDF.

While Apple may be trying to spin it's new alloy into something that sounds useful (maybe it is) Apple's ultimate reason is to create a premium priced jewelry product that has a higher profit margin due to cheaper materials. I'll take a scratched gold Rolex, please. :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
LightBright|1425953650|3844664 said:
Apple's use of ceramic alloy to bulk up gold is along the lines of many modern practices that use cheaper and more accessible materials to create everyday objects. Having recently bought a house I was surprised to discover very little solid wood was used-- it is all plywood and MDF.

While Apple may be trying to spin it's new alloy into something that sounds useful (maybe it is) Apple's ultimate reason is to create a premium priced jewelry product that has a higher profit margin due to cheaper materials. I'll take a scratched gold Rolex, please. :)

While I agree, I wouldn't say that this is all about the money. I'd say that it has partly to do with design, durability, etc.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LightBright|1425953650|3844664 said:

That's what I was thinking. I am fine with my iPhone and my Cartier watch. :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I think that the watches are neat and while they may not appeal to everyone, they are certainly not meant to replace traditional watches (like Rolex, Cartier, or even Timex for that matter). Sure, they all tell time, but the Apple watch serves a much different purpose. I will probably not get one, but my DH likely will just for fun. He has a small collection of luxury watches, so the Apple watch would certainly not "replace" any of those - it would simply add to his collection of technology-related gadgets =)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a totally new concept for them. EVERYTHING they have ever sold has been on the premise that it’s better, cheaper, or both. I’ll leave it to customers to decide if they've actually delivered on that, but that’s been the pitch. This is different. The $17,000 version is definitely not cheaper and it doesn't even claim to be any better. They’re selling status here. Luxury. Deny it or not, they're going toe to toe with Rolex, Omega, Louis Vuitton and Ferrari. To be sure, Apple is a force to be reckoned with, and they might even succeed at it, but they are diving into the deep end of the pool with no clue what they’re doing beyond the hubris and confidence that because they’re Apple, everyone will naturally think their products are awesome.

Some will buy it, but I can't imagine it'll do well. It’s like getting a Harley-Davidson tattoo. They’re buying into the brand and they’re showing off their loyalty. That works for Harley, and Apple does have a bit of a cult following too, but this is asking an awful lot of them. We're talking about a $10,000 - $17,000 watch that'll be obsolete in 2 years or less. That's a lot of brand loyalty.

They could just get an Apple tattoo for $200 after all. That'll last a lifetime.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if anyone has thought of something similar in the past and it didn't pan out, or if this is a brand new idea. I like the idea that it is both stronger/scratch resistant, still 18k and more cost effective. This cost savings obviously will not be right away, but other companies might start doing something similar. Cool.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
17K is the most expensive product Apple has ever sold AFAIK - I bought an XServe (they used to make commercial servers) and I think I maxed it out at 12k with pretty much every option... They've since nixed the XServe line. It will be interesting to see how many people will adopt a 17k watch that will be outdated pretty quickly - I wonder if they will offer an upgrade policy? ;-)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't really see them going toe-to-toe with other luxury brands of watches. Besides the fact that they both tell time, their functionality is fairly different. I see the $17,000 Apple watch appealing to someone who is tech-savvy and yet still desires to have a luxury watch. For many of us, I wouldn't give up my Rolex or Cartier for an Apple watch, but for someone who's really into tech-gadgets (and high-end watches) then the $17,000 watch might appeal to them more so than the cheaper versions of Apple watch. My DH has Brietling, Rolex, etc. and he will likely get a high-end Apple watch simply because his other watches are high-end. It's not a competition because the Apple watch will serve a much different purpose, while still allowing him to have a stylish watch on his wrist.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It does raise an interesting question about the functionality of "style" vs "luxury" ... would the stainless steel version be so different? I think MomHappy is totally right about the upper echelon of watch collectors ... but I'm curious about where the new collectors and the technocrati are going to fall on this versus, say, their first Rado or high-end mechanical watch ....

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The Apple Watch Gold edition has sold out in minutes in China. Apparently there are a lot of people with a lot of money. Smart move on Apples part to help them part with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results