shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone here PREFER warmer color diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oooo, Kristy, I covet that, too. I''m a big fan of OECs and OMCs. BTW, can''t wait to see your upgrade. It sounds huge to me! H/SI is nothing to sneeze at, especially that size and cut quality.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I must say, my perspective on color has changed a lot since coming to PS a few years ago. I really do appreciate the beauty of all colors now. I''d really love to see that "S" in real life!! Many of the old-cut stones in warmer colors look perfect in vintage style settings. They just would not look right with a white-white diamond.

I have an E with med. blue fluoro., because I got it before I landed here, but I would be much more open to warmer colors now. Actually, I''ve been coveting a Y-Z for about a year. Maybe someday . . . .
30.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 3:08:02 PM
Author: Lynn B
Great thread. Thanks!

I think the first myth to debunk is the ''lower color = yellow'' one. My stone is a GORGEOUS, AGS-0, 2.36 J/SI2 RB and it is stunning! It was an upgrade from another beautful diamond, an AGS-0, 1.53 G/VS2. Comparing those diamonds side-by-side there was NO discernible difference in color face up. From the pavilion, yes, the J exhibits a minute amount of creaminess/warmth that the G did not have. But it''s a beautiful ''color'' and a killer stone! There is no yellow or brown in it at all.

I have fair skin, and I think this J, set in platinum, compliments my skin tone beautifully. I can see how it would beautifully compliment olive skin tones, too. Now granted... I have never seen a super-ideal cut D stone to compare side-by-side with my J... maybe I''d flip and start to covet the D. But you know what? I really doubt it!

The ''higher color'' thing really is just marketing propoganda, IMHO. Most diamond-buyers are generally conditioned to believe that D''s are the ''most beautiful'' and ''most desirable'' because they are the most ''colorless''... and that the ''beauty'' of diamonds slips with the color grades. We here on PS know better.

I remember once when I was showing my neice PS and I told her we were ''diamond snobs''
2.gif
here. And she said something like, ''What, only D/IF?'' And I cracked up! I was like, ''Noooo! Au contraire! We are actually CUT snobs looking for the most beautiful stone at a competitive price. We are VERY open-minded to all colors and clarities - and that actually very few of us would probably ever buy a D/IF.'' Then I told her my diamond was a J/SI2. She was so surprised!

So, anyway, in a nutshell... I LOVE the color of my diamond. I wouldn''t change a THING about it. And the fact that its color (and clarity) enabled me to get a much bigger SIZE
31.gif
was quite a BONUS!
Lynn, your 2.36 RB that is pictured in this post is so gorgeous it''s ridiculous. Seriously, I''m drooling allllllllll over myself!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2005 4:18:48 PM
Author: movie zombie

where did you find an ''S''? no one seems to carry them or get them in for preview!

There''s a long distance between S and R like that - allot more than between the usual G-I grades. (whatever EGL means with that grade anyway, you never know).

I really don''t remember where this comes from.

David & DBL had some ''faint yellows'' on the list recently. I wonder if those would have been just under U-V somehow. Emerald cut nonetheless
5.gif

threeyellows.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DBL had a light yellow asscher on his eBay store that was just divine, I think it may have been a U-W or something..it looked so tempting. I think it was a .92c for $1700. YUM! Great pattern too.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I would have loved to seen that Mara, yummmm. Price is good too.
2.gif
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH MY GOD...right on schedule for this thread....when we were in Houston in September, I was begging them to start carrying K colored stones for things like pendants or earrings, esp now that J's are so hot and rough is just getting more and more pricey, and they alluded to the possibility of it in 2006, *maybe*.

Imagine my surprise when Aljdewey found these three puppies online today!!!

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948527.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1958368.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1958366.htm

I am sooo loving that .94 one for a pendant. IF ONLY.
20.gif
I wonder if my LV bag for my birthday can be returned.
31.gif
30.gif
Greg would KILL ME.

koko

Shiny_Rock
A co-worker of mine got a one-carat rb upgrade for an anniversary (set in yellow gold) & to my untrained eye, I thought it was the ugliest diamond I''d ever seen. She was so proud, but to me the color that came to mind was "dog pee in the snow" yellow....this set me on the path to wanting a colorless stone. Looking back I think it was a very poor cut that made it look so bad.
20.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 8:25:59 PM
Author: Mara
OH MY GOD...right on schedule for this thread....when we were in Houston in September, I was begging them to start carrying K colored stones for things like pendants or earrings, esp now that J''s are so hot and rough is just getting more and more pricey, and they alluded to the possibility of it in 2006, *maybe*.

Imagine my surprise when Aljdewey found these three puppies online today!!!

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1948527.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1958368.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1958366.htm

I am sooo loving that .94 one for a pendant. IF ONLY.
20.gif
I wonder if my LV bag for my birthday can be returned.
31.gif
30.gif
Greg would KILL ME.
OMG Mara, this is daaaaaaaangerous!!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh girl you don''t know the HALF of it!!!!
30.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I emailed them about the first link you put up. It is a pretty stone. I am trying to decide between that and a blue/gray spinel with a diamond halo. It is a tough choice. Both options are so pretty, I just have to figure out which one would get more wear.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would lov to see what this one looks like in real life. N VVS1 From Wink.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Dog Pee in the snow! OMG!!! That''s always been in the back of my mind when it comes to lightly tinted yellow stones. I did not want Dog pee, or any kind of P for that matter, but I also didn''t want "fancy." Nor did I want pepper, there''s nothing worse than seeing pepper sprinkled all over. I had a coworker once with a giant stone that was dull and sprinkled with pepper, yucky.

My "s" is very much like the S-T Radiant in the bottom left on DBL''s color grade chart link that Researcher posted, except that mine is a marquise shape with a great cut and better color flashes. Honestly marquise was the last shape I was looking for but when I saw the stone I knew it would complement my ring project nicely (two antique plat eternity bands). Besides I trusted the seller completely and had nothing to loose by shipping it in to look at. My jeweler friend nearly feel off his chair when I brought it in telling him the details. He definitly approved of the stone.

It does have med. blue flour, so I don''t know how much that really affects a stone in this color range but no one notices the yellow unless I point it out to them, it''s sutle in most light. What they do always notice are the colors, the fire I suppose, surprising in a marguise. I catch my DH looking at it all the time when w''re out.

I feel bad that I have not been able to post a photo yet, sacrilege. I''m in the market for a new camera so I''ve been following that "camera thread" too. I gave my daughter our digital thinking I''d get a replacement soon.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2005 10:01:54 AM
Author: Matatora
Oh, dear !
9.gif

"Personally, I think it would make a great ensemble
with the 1.24ct M-VVS1 and the 1.29ct N-Internally Flawless,
either as a three stone ring or a ring and earring combination."
31.gif

Isn''t that a naughty thing to say!

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Mara - was it this one?
92c.JPG

.92 carat VS1 Asscher cut
Color S-T (Faint Yellow)
Measures 5.68 x 5.63 x 3.41mm
Depth 60.5%/Table 60% (Estimate)
Priced loose: $1,799

DiamondsByLauren''s Webpage

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep I think that was it!!! It looks like it''s crying out to live on my neck.
31.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
It's still listed on their webpage, but not the ebay store.

can you hear that pleading little whisper?
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHA I think at this point it''s a loud scream!!

It''s on my ''list'' along with that .94 K SI pendant from WF...oh and bigger earrings, oh and my next ring upgrade.
31.gif
Priorities!!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 10:05:25 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 10/27/2005 10:01:54 AM
Author: Matatora
Oh, dear !
9.gif

''Personally, I think it would make a great ensemble
with the 1.24ct M-VVS1 and the 1.29ct N-Internally Flawless,
either as a three stone ring or a ring and earring combination.''
31.gif

Isn''t that a naughty thing to say!
I''ve admired those 3 stones on Wink''s site. They are sooo beautiful in the pictures! The clarity is a bit high for me, though.
11.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Oh now you guys are confusing me...I''m wondering if I should back off from my F, VS2 preference for Asschers. Mara that
92 carat VS1 Asscher cut
Color S-T (Faint Yellow)
is quite pretty. Most I''ve discussed with even on PS say not to go lower than a G for Asschers because the cut shows so much more color than say a RB?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 5:36:21 PM
Author: cymbrie
Oh now you guys are confusing me...I'm wondering if I should back off from my F, VS2 preference for Asschers. Mara that

92 carat VS1 Asscher cut

Color S-T (Faint Yellow)

is quite pretty. Most I've discussed with even on PS say not to go lower than a G for Asschers because the cut shows so much more color than say a RB?

I think it depends on what look you're going for. I would imagine that the S-T stone will have color to it face up as well as from the pavilion. I don't imagine you will be able to "pass it" as a white stone which is great if the look you're going for doesn't require that. But if you're wanting a white stone and wondering how low you can go with it still looking white -- well, that's another story. This stone likely isn't it. But you might be able to go lower than a G. I have an H color emerald cut and I don't see any color in it. Hope that helps.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Demelza thanks so much for your post. I would love to see pix of your H emerald cut. Like ecf8503 I too have the annoying ability to guess within color grade of a stone. I think I''m still in the process of determining color preference although I am set on an asscher cut. Lynn B''s ring is unbelievably pretty though what an amazing color it almost looks like a sparkling flower petal, champagne colored diamonds are also a favorite. I guess I was just fixated on the whole never go lower than G, VS2 in an asscher cut.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 5:55:38 PM
Demelza thanks so much for your post. I would love to see pix of your H emerald cut.

Here you go....Hope these help!

whb2.JPG

whb7.JPG

whb6.JPG

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 5:36:21 PM
Oh now you guys are confusing me...I''m wondering if I should back off from my F, VS2 preference for Asschers. Mara that
92 carat VS1 Asscher cut
Color S-T (Faint Yellow)
is quite pretty. Most I''ve discussed with even on PS say not to go lower than a G for Asschers because the cut shows so much more color than say a RB?
I agree that it depends on the look you are going for and that stone of DBL''s seems like a real bargain. Honestly, for me as much as I love the yellow in my marquise, and the total look of these rings, I would not get a warmish tinted step cut stone. Certainly not as a solitaire. It would definitely have to have color (or no color) to work for me and then have micropave or side stones. I think the step cuts look best colorless, although I would loooove a fancy geenish-yellow one like the icestore sometimes has.
31.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, Demelza. Be still my heart!!!!

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Wow..... this thread has open my eyes and my mind about Y-Z diamonds. They look delicious!!! Are they easy to inquire? I like the Fancy color diamonds, but not the price they are going for. Sometimes the Fancy ones are too intense in color. Let me ask a dumb question... What makes a rock to get graded as Y-Z and not Fancy?
33.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah colorless on an asscher solitaire is preferable. Demelza what a gorgeous ring LOVE the pave and scrollwork! Just stunning thank you for sharing!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 6:31:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah colorless on an asscher solitaire is preferable. Demelza what a gorgeous ring LOVE the pave and scrollwork! Just stunning thank you for sharing!

You''re welcome. Just curious -- do you see any yellow in the H? I don''t, but I''m not very color sensitive, so I wonder how someone who is sees the stone.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 6:39:29 PM
Author: Demelza

Date: 10/27/2005 6:31:41 PM

You''re welcome. Just curious -- do you see any yellow in the H? I don''t, but I''m not very color sensitive, so I wonder how someone who is sees the stone.
Honestly, I would have to see it in person, it looks very white to me from the pix. I wonder if ecf8503 would chime in as to the color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results