shape
carat
color
clarity

ANY THOUGHTS ON SINGLE VS. DOUBLE PRONGS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Regarding my stone below --EC with somewhat elongated shoulders--double vs. single claws???? Thoughts?

MY NEW DIAMOND AFTER A LONG AND PAINFUL SEARCH: MANY THANKS TO DIRT CHEAP DIAMONDS-- JIM AND JOSH FOR PATIENCE, HUMOR, EFFORT, MORE PATIENCE, MORE HUMOR, AND MORE EFFORT.................

Carat Weight: 3.18
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Shape: Emerald
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 59%
Polish: VG
Symmetry: GD
Culet: S
Girdle: VT-STK
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 10.14x7.51x4.65
Crown: 17%

Window Shopper

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Sir!
9.gif

I was actually looking for an examole, but it just didn''t happen in time. Let''s see if words will do...

Assuming "double prongs" mean real doubles not a wide cast prong that was cut at the tip
40.gif
, I''d go for them for two reason:

- the gripping tips of the double prongs can be smaller, just because there are two of them
- the double prong covers the cut corner of an EC. A single prong cannot fit the shape of the diamon''s corner and stay small. IMO, the closer the lines of the setting get to the stone''s the better.

Hope I can find those darn pics!

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Double prongs are usually thinner and so they look really nice and dainty. I think they''d look great on an EC.

madarski

Rough_Rock
I totally agree. I am a huge fan of the double claw prongs.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2004 11:52:40 PM
Author: windowshopper
so true double is separate platinum wires coming up from the base?
This is what I meant, just IMO.

And here''s the picture...

OneTwoProngs.JPG

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I''m a big fan of the double claw prongs. If the prong is a thcker style, 1 prong is fine, but the double claw prongs are really a great look.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
dilemma on double prongs: they look like stapler wire. any pix of something thick and deco yet double????????

reena

Ideal_Rock
i''m not sure what qualifies as thick in your book but here are a few different examples from artofplatinum.com. i''d also check out dahneandweinstein.com.

clawprongs.JPG

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Window, most prongs are thicker than that. Few have the real claw-like effect of the Art of Platinum double claws. This icestore.com creation is more typical.

GAL2046A1.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
When I first saw the Art of Platinum claw prongs I didn''t like them. They just seemed too much like animal claws. I''ve come around, though, to appreciating how delicate they are. Most double prongs hide the stone a bit too much, but the claw prongs seem just secure enough to hold yet slender enough to highlight the stone. If you can get them, I''d much prefer the thinner double claw prongs. I just don''t know who else makes them as finely, though.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Hest, Reena Chrono et al:

would you have the prongs split from the base, up the corner of the stone and over OR solid til right after the girdle then split?????????

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If safety is your main consideration, I suspect that having the prongs split as late as possible is best, so after the girdle.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2004 3:57:26 PM
Author: windowshopper
Hest, Reena Chrono et al:

would you have the prongs split from the base, up the corner of the stone and over OR solid til right after the girdle then split?????????
Well, this is basically a Q for the jeweler, but with these cutout prongs, one has less freedom of movement to fashion the two tips to look identical. If the cut is not perfect from the beginning (and this is not to be taken for granted, as far as I''ve seen), then there is virtually no way to make adjustments without damaging the other "half" and having to change all other prongs'' tips to match. So the settings with double prongs made of two pieces have better chances to look perfectly finished, IMO.

Platinum Smith could take this Q from authority... this is all I know.

CutProngs.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And they don''t have to be "spindly", of course... just even and straight !

WideProngs.JPG

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
A good jeweler could make it however thick, however split (from bottom up), however delicate you would like it. I highly recommend Michael E, though he is extremely busy. He re-did my dvatche and I am still sooo in love with them.

I''ve linked you to the thread on my ring so you can see a glimpse of Michael''s craftsmanship. Please note though, that in his pictures (the first few in the thread) the photos seem to give the impression that the prongs are thicker than they actually are in real life. The photos in the collage that I took later in the thread seem to have a truer depiction of the actual delicacy of the prongs, but the magnification still make them appear "bigger" than they really are. They are actually sooo delicate and feminine, yet strong enough, that I will love them for a very long time.

I guess what I''m getting at is that they can be done however you want them if you are working with a custom jeweler. If you are getting a stock setting, well that might be a different story.

Good luck with your decision and do keep us posted.

~kmom
35.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Window, I think they''re called ribbon prongs. The prongs on my e-ring are similar, though I didn''t realize at the time that they weren''t flatter dot prongs!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
thanks hest-----------Its to die for. One of the more interesting yet classical rings ive ever seen. i like your prongs too

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results