shape
carat
color
clarity

Any idea what this 2.74 carat diamond is worth?

Person24

Shiny_Rock
My mom is thinking of selling her diamond.

The appraisal was done by the International Gemological Institute in 1992 while the diamond was set in a necklace.

This is what the report says:
One natural diamond, round brilliant cut, measuring approx 8.96-9.01 x 5.40 mm, weight estimated by formula 2.74 carats, depth 60.1%, table: 63%, girdle: very thin to medium, cutlet: medium, color: colorless/near colorless (F-G), clarity: VS(1)/VS(2).

Thanks in advance! :)

Person24

Shiny_Rock
I just want to add that the diamond was purchased by my great-grandmother sometime in the 1950s. But we do not know when the diamond was cut or how old it is.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does it look like a round brilliant or an older cut? If it's an RB, would she consider getting it re-cut or re-graded?

It's going to be pretty hard for us to guess at the resale value of an IGI stone. Is there an amount of money that would be the "floor" of what would make it worth it to her? If she said she'd only sell it if she could get say, $35k, I would say don't bother. If that amount is only $15k, I'd say to try listing it somewhere.

Person24

Shiny_Rock
I told her she may need to get it re-graded with GIA if she wants serious offers. She didn't seem opposed to it. I will ask her what her floor is. I don't know if its a round brilliant or older cut. IThe diamond is in a safe at a bank and I haven't seen the diamond in several years. The last time I saw it I didn't know that there were so many different diamond cuts. . . (it was pre-PS) and it looked like a round to me.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She would benefit by a current appraisal that's done for resale purposes. Unfortunately, there is not a direct conversion from insurance documents and resale expectations. There are a lot of important gemological details that affect the price and the market details and how she approaches it affect pricing dramatically. It's likely that she's going to need a lab grading report from GIA if she wants maximum price but it's not a simple question and the place to start is at a trusted appraiser. The details of the cut will have an affect on what lab you choose for example. There's a list of available appraisers under the link at the top of the page titled 'resources'. There's definitely a resale market for this sort of thing but its not as simple as it seems like it should be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results