shape
carat
color
clarity

Antwerp?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CCNZ

Rough_Rock
Has anyone here got any stories or knowledge of shopping for diamonds in Antwerp?

I hear its cheaper than everywhere else.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are going to Antwerp then I would strongly recommend you contact Paul Slegers of Infinity Diamonds, he will be able to give you some suggestions on where to shop, plus Infinity cut some beautiful diamonds so if you wanted a top cut stone, then there are Infinity dealers in Antwerp and Paul could give you their contact details.

http://www.craftedbyinfinity.com/

CCNZ

Rough_Rock
Hi

I did try looking at that website but when you search for diamonds they all seem to be in the USA?

Im only after a 1ct G SI1 but was wondering if its cheaper to have a nice weekend over there and buy one.

Prices for diamonds are high here in the UK and selection not so good.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Infinity have an agent in London - Hatton garden I think.
He is a very nice and knowledgable guy.
You should be able to find him on the website.

the Infinity range is ultra high end precision cut.
You can get cheaper but not better.
I worry about the lambs who are slaughtered in diamond markets like Ramat Ghan in Tel Aviv, Antwerp and 47th st in NYC.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s true that some dealers charge more than others for similar things.

It’s true that there are some expensive ones in the UK. There are also expensive ones in Belgium, India, New York, and everywhere else that supposedly offer good deals.

Pretty much every diamond merchant promotes that they are offer low prices and provide comparison to the above mentioned expensive sources as evidence. Beating Tiffany’s on price isn’t all that difficult.

There''s nothing about Antwerp that makes it inherently better for selling diamonds than anywhere else. The competitive issues are taxes, overhead and value added services, and regulatory issues. Beyond these, every dealer is playing on the same level whether they are in Antwerp, Perth, Johannesburg or Denver. Antwerp is a beautiful city and it has a long tradition of diamonds. By all means it’s a nice place to shop for these reasons, it’s just that an Antwerp address is not evidence of a bargain. There’s a lot to be said for shopping with a dealer who is close to home, or at least in your home country because of familiarity with the laws, the currency etc. but the EU countries are similar enough in these regards that it’s not as big a deal as trying to buy in India or the Caribbean because the dealers claim a bargain for doing so. Look first to the character of the people behind the counter/keyboard and second at their address rather than the reverse and you''ll have a much more successful shopping experience.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2008 10:15:10 AM
Author: denverappraiser

It’s true that there are some expensive ones in the UK. There are also expensive ones in Belgium, India, New York, and everywhere else that supposedly offer good deals.

Pretty much every diamond merchant promotes that they are offer low prices and provide comparison to the above mentioned expensive sources as evidence. Beating Tiffany’s on price isn’t all that difficult.

True..., and "most" dealers would/might "just" beat the prices of retailers as they probably take into account its a one-shot deal! So think well before going bargain hunting in Antwerp (or any known Diamond center)....

There''s nothing about Antwerp that makes it inherently better for selling diamonds than anywhere else. The competitive issues are taxes, overhead and value added services, and regulatory issues. Beyond these, every dealer is playing on the same level whether they are in Antwerp, Perth, Johannesburg or Denver. Antwerp is a beautiful city and it has a long tradition of diamonds. By all means it’s a nice place to shop for these reasons, it’s just that an Antwerp address is not evidence of a bargain. There’s a lot to be said for shopping with a dealer who is close to home, or at least in your home country because of familiarity with the laws, the currency etc. but the EU countries are similar enough in these regards that it’s not as big a deal as trying to buy in India or the Caribbean because the dealers claim a bargain for doing so. Look first to the character of the people behind the counter/keyboard and second at their address rather than the reverse and you''ll have a much more successful shopping experience.

I can think of many other EU cities I would rather visit than Antwerp
27.gif
, but thats just my personal opinion
11.gif

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Re> Garry H

"I worry about the lambs who are slaughtered in diamond markets like Ramat Ghan in Tel Aviv, Antwerp and 47th st in NYC."

Wise words to listen too.....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2008 6:28:44 AM
Author: CCNZ
Hi

I did try looking at that website but when you search for diamonds they all seem to be in the USA?

Im only after a 1ct G SI1 but was wondering if its cheaper to have a nice weekend over there and buy one.

Well you certainly could go over for the weekend and buy a diamond but make sure you do your research as to who to buy from, as the experts have pointed out it can be a bit of a minefield for the unwary - as it can be with any '' diamond district'' for the novice buyer.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2008 10:58:38 AM
Author: DiaGem
27.gif
11.gif
Everywhere you go has it’s own charm. Last summer I had the pleasure of spending some time in Glasgow, which I found to be a marvelous place even though it doesn’t have a reputation as one of the ‘must see’ European destinations and it’s rarely chosen as a honeymoon destination. I stand by my position that Antwerp is a lovely place. I must add, if you’re looking for a vacation destination, NOWHERE beats Colorado at this time of year. 81 inches of new snow at Vail so far this year and we’ve got diamond dealers too.
36.gif

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 11:06:25 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 12/13/2008 6:28:44 AM

Author: CCNZ

Hi

Well you certainly could go over for the weekend and buy a diamond but make sure you do your research as to who to buy from, as the experts have pointed out it can be a bit of a minefield for the unwary - as it can be with any '' diamond district'' for the novice buyer.

Agreed...I think it''s easier to be taken for a ride in these places than it is to find a good deal if you don''t know what you are doing.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2008 11:21:47 AM

27.gif
11.gif
Everywhere you go has it’s own charm. Last summer I had the pleasure of spending some time in Glasgow, which I found to be a marvelous place even though it doesn’t have a reputation as one of the ‘must see’ European destinations and it’s rarely chosen as a honeymoon destination. I stand by my position that Antwerp is a lovely place. I must add, if you’re looking for a vacation destination, NOWHERE beats Colorado at this time of year. 81 inches of new snow at Vail so far this year and we’ve got diamond dealers too.
36.gif

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Belgium (other than Antwerp) is a great place for traveling, plus it is situated right snap in the middle of the EU..., great to get to other great EU location like Paris, Amsterdam, London etc...

I fly to Antwerp frequently for my business purposes and try to get out of there asap..., but it also gives me the chance to leave (back home) via other EU cities (like Amsterdam, which I love)...

I used to love Antwerp for their food..., it was considered by me and many others as the best place for dining, you coudnt go wrong..., but even that is in the past!
7.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2008 12:24:05 PM

27.gif
11.gif
36.gif

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Belgium (other than Antwerp) is a great place for traveling, plus it is situated right snap in the middle of the EU..., great to get to other great EU location like Paris, Amsterdam, London etc...

I fly to Antwerp frequently for my business purposes and try to get out of there asap..., but it also gives me the chance to leave (back home) via other EU cities (like Amsterdam, which I love)...

I used to love Antwerp for their food..., it was considered by me and many others as the best place for dining, you coudnt go wrong..., but even that is in the past!
7.gif
Hey Diagem,

Next time that you are here, let me take you around town.

I remember years ago a certain Garry Holloway visiting, and when I picked him and his wife up for a walk through town, he dared to offend me by saying that he did not really like our town. By the end of the evening, he had completely changed his mind. But that was no surprise, the poor guy had always stayed close to the diamond district on previous visits.

Live long,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2008 12:52:42 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Date: 12/13/2008 12:24:05 PM

27.gif
11.gif
36.gif

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

7.gif
Hey Diagem,

Next time that you are here, let me take you around town.

I remember years ago a certain Garry Holloway visiting, and when I picked him and his wife up for a walk through town, he dared to offend me by saying that he did not really like our town. By the end of the evening, he had completely changed his mind. But that was no surprise, the poor guy had always stayed close to the diamond district on previous visits.

Live long,
With pleasure..., it would be nice, just need to inform you ahead..., I am also Belgian
6.gif
2.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Great post Neil, but the penny just dropped - I know why people get ripped off in all those places known for cheap diamonds.
The people who go to shop their - they cause the problem - they know these places are trade diamond centers - so they go expecting to buy at "wholesale".
So we should not blame the vendors who are attracted like flies to a ready supply of suckers.

Re Antwerp - Paul is correct - we love the place now and it was his tour that did it for us. And we have had some great meals there.
But Neil - 81 inches already - I am sold, can you book me in somewhere and guarantee me a great week and half of sales between now and Xmas?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2008 3:52:29 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Great post Neil, but the penny just dropped - I know why people get ripped off in all those places known for cheap diamonds.
The people who go to shop their - they cause the problem - they know these places are trade diamond centers - so they go expecting to buy at ''wholesale''.
So we should not blame the vendors who are attracted like flies to a ready supply of suckers.

Re Antwerp - Paul is correct - we love the place now and it was his tour that did it for us. And we have had some great meals there.
But Neil - 81 inches already - I am sold, can you book me in somewhere and guarantee me a great week and half of sales between now and Xmas?
Thats the second time today Garry has caused me to snort a beverage up my nose!
23.gif
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results