shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Engagement ring question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slgbug1

Rough_Rock
Hi,

This is a family ring w/ no significant history (used as a pinky ring). I''m still new here & learning about all the specifics....so...I''m showing this to two people tomorrow (one woman, and one store recommended by David Atlas). The money from the ring is going towards the purchase of my engagement ring. I''m still not sure what dimensions are good, or if the dimension of this ring are considered good. But, it is a beautiful ring!! Pictures don''t do it justice. Please see the link for pictures..

http://boston.craigslist.org/for/39418450.html

So, after all that....is it fair to ask $4500? Too high? Thanks!!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
the appraiser may be able to tell you what's a fair price, but the ring IS beautiful.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price does seem a bit high to me. . .I think $3500 is more fair, but as Reena said, the appraiser can provide the best info regarding the fair price.

The appraised value of $8000 on the listing is ridiculously inflated.

Ooops, edited as I didn't realize the person is trying to sell this ring v. buying it
2.gif

Michelle

reena

Ideal_Rock
lol, wait, slgbug1, you're trying to SELL this ring not buy it, correct?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/20/2004 10:11:19 AM slgbug1 wrote:

So, after all that....is it fair to ask $4500?
----------------

Well, I can but wander where the 8k replacement value is comming from! However, the setting looks very nice and it would likely be as costly to replace as the diamond. So your 4.5k sounds like a good place to start bargaining.

Just out of curiosity I looked for what other diamond rings might be listed along yours. The 3-4 pieces with diamonds near 1 ct are new, generic settings (unimpresive) and come in the same price range ( around 5k). So your opening quote seems very right.

best of luck
1.gif

slgbug1

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! Yes, I did mean to sell. We'll see how it goes this weekend. I feel like I want it to go to a good home...even though I know that sounds crazy!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
did you ever think of actually using that ring AS your GF's engagement ring? im sure there might be any number of reasons that led you not to do so, but i was just asking because i think it's beautiful.

slgbug1

Rough_Rock
Reena--Ha! I'm the girl in the relationship. I have thought about using the diamond, but to be honest, I want a bit of a bigger diamond. Although the diamond is really beautiful... I have another OEC in an antique setting that I love (I'll post pics later), so that makes it easier to part with it. My boyfriend & I having been talking about diamonds & engagement for a while now. He'll be a full time grad student for the next 2 years....so, money will be tight. I have this ring that I don't wear, so I'm going to sell it we'll use it to trade up for the engagement ring.

reena

Ideal_Rock
oh, of course, that makes total sense.
1.gif
i was just wondering because as i said i really like the ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results