shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Cushions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been searching for an antique diamond and one of the vendors mentioned here said one was in my price range of $12,000.

It''s a 2.26 carat L/M VS antique cushion. 7.6 x 7.9

1) Is this a reasonable price for an antique stone given the stats?
2) What is the difference shape/facet orientation between an antique cushion and an OMC?

I''m looking for a slightly rectangular cushion (ala harry winston) but an elongated one.

Thanks!

2.26cushion.JPG

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it that one in the picture? If so, it doesn't match your desire for an elongated harry winston cushion at all...it's much more roundish than rectangular.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, this is one of the cushions he has currently. He said he''d have to check back on Monday for anymore in the price range.

I was wondering if the setting was making it appear roundish?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMC''s and Antique Cushions are very similar in age and faceting style. Some experts differentiate between the two and others include Antique Cushions in the OMC bucket.

We distinguish between the two based on shape. Old Mines will usually have an off-round shape whereas an Antique Cushion will have a noticeable soft square or soft rectangular outline (some more pronounced than others). In both categories you will find varying facet patterns and culet sizes, and each stone must really be judged individually, as there aren''t any set "ideal" parameters where old cuts are concerned.

This looks like a beautiful stone, and it''s possible the square shape of the setting is masking the slight rectangular shape of the stone - hard to say from the pic. I would trust the vendor''s eyes - a good vendor will listen to what you''re looking for and make solid recommendations.

Antique cushions are getting harder and harder to find these days. They are really popular! This diamond definitely merits consideration.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2008 12:08:49 AM
Author: Resonance.Of.Life
Yes, this is one of the cushions he has currently. He said he'd have to check back on Monday for anymore in the price range.

I was wondering if the setting was making it appear roundish?

It's a beautiful stone, but IMO looks nothing like a Harry Winston cushion which if I am not mistaken are usually modern cushions with quite a different facet pattern.

I do think the setting may be contributing to it's roundness, but I certainly wouldn't call it rectangular at all...

ETA: I do believe that the classic Harry Winston cushion ring usually has a modern cushion brilliant in there...

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for that informative post!

I noticed that some of the cushions on various websites had almost an OEC flowery pattern and a roundish shape. Are they OECs or Cushions?

Oh?? I never knew antique cushions were getting popular. I know that the Cushion shape itself is making a comeback. I do want an antique, because of my silly hopeless romantic ideas that antique engagement rings have good karma from the previous owner''s relationship :D

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Erm, I mean to say I wanted the outline shape of a Harry Winston Cushion (rectangularish but still quite "meaty" in width) but in an antique cushion.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2008 12:27:06 AM
Erm, I mean to say I wanted the outline shape of a Harry Winston Cushion (rectangularish but still quite ''meaty'' in width) but in an antique cushion.

Ahhhh ok. In that case I would ask the vendor what they consider the shape of this stone to be (roundish, pillowy, rectangular, etc.). Certainly is pretty as long as it''s the shape you want. From that picture it does look round to me, but it could just be the setting.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/9/2008 12:25:50 AM
Thank you for that informative post!

I noticed that some of the cushions on various websites had almost an OEC flowery pattern and a roundish shape. Are they OECs or Cushions?

Oh?? I never knew antique cushions were getting popular. I know that the Cushion shape itself is making a comeback. I do want an antique, because of my silly hopeless romantic ideas that antique engagement rings have good karma from the previous owner's relationship :D

LOL, that's what we might call a "chubby" cushion. The wonderful thing about old stones is that no two will look alike! We have seen rectangular cushions, square cushions, "chubby" nearly round cushions, oval-ish cushions...some have a very chunky, seemingly random or checkerboard-like facet pattern, others have a more structured and uniform flowery look. To a great degree, cushion classification is subjective. You must let your eyes be the judge.

Yes, we have had lots and lots of antique cushion requests recently. A year ago it was OEC's primarily, but right now it's cushions. So when you see one that speaks to you - grab it!

As for karma, I couldn't agree more. I have always believed that these old stones have soaked up all of the wonderful positive energy from the world and that's why they are so bright, lively, dancing with colored light, lit from within. SIGH. So glad I'm not the only one with these romantic notions!

30.gif

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely not the only one with these notions.
30.gif

As far as cushion requests go, how long do you guys take to source something like that?

31.gif

Btw, your cushion is TDF!!!
18.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on the specs and on the buyer''s flexibility. Sometimes we can source possible candidate stones within a week or two, sometimes it takes longer to find the right stone for a client (case in point a 3 stone cushion ring we recently sold - took a long time to source side stones, as the center was a very square, L colored cushion - very unusual shape, but we were determined and the buyer was thrilled and happy to have finally found her dream ring).

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Neatfreak: Thank you for your opinions :D and for giving me such a warm welcome!

Erica: $10-12k 2ish carats M, lowest color and eyeclean with a outline shape like your gorgeous cushion! :D How about those specs
31.gif

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I''m assuming the email address on your website? :D Or does that go to Grace?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Neato! Will do :D

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
OLD WORLD DIAMONDS has this lovely 3 carat L for $12825. You might give Adam a call and ask for better pictures. They have some very nice antique diamonds for excellent prices.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Interesting setting on that stone in the photo. Not how I would have ever thought to set an old stone but still pretty cool.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Moley Purr! That is a gorgeous stone!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Wait, so the 3 carat cushion is facing up more like a 5 carat cushion if I''m going by modern cushion face up sizes... ?

Is the depth on that 3 carat cushion ok? Or is it a little shallow? Because I can''t figure out how it''s getting a large spread for being only 3 carats.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW on that three carat L, it will be extremely difficult if not impossible for a cushion with 47% depth to look right. He used to have a nice looking three carat M that looked like the one on the home page, not sure if that's still there or not. Also (to each his own) color as low as this is not my cup of tea - too beige - although I and J cushions this size still look pretty nice.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Elmo! I knew there was something a little off because cushion typically are deeper and have less spread for carat weight.

I''ve actually come to love the lower colors, I absolutely adore the antique look to them!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
LOVE
30.gif
the lower color OEC''s, please let us know what you pick
36.gif
36.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Is this what you are looking for? Sorry for the shameless introduction of my own ring into this thread, but I just wanted to show you that what you are after is possible to find. Erica Grace sourced this lovely stone for me.

20959.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/9/2008 2:06:35 PM
Author: elmo
FWIW on that three carat L, it will be extremely difficult if not impossible for a cushion with 47% depth to look right. He used to have a nice looking three carat M that looked like the one on the home page, not sure if that''s still there or not. Also (to each his own) color as low as this is not my cup of tea - too beige - although I and J cushions this size still look pretty nice.
Some super shallow OMC''s can look amazing..., Elmo is correct that it is difficult to find one..., but it can look amazing...
It greatly depend on the CH and Pav. depth in combination with the right angle adaption.

Here is a pic. of a 47% td OMC..., BTW..., the picture doesnt compliment the actual beauty of the Diamond...

47PercentTotalDepth.JPG

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
MMT: Of course, I''d be horrid if I never showed pics of the final pick!

SoftlySoftly: GORGEOUS stone! You know you want to post more pics of that beauty!

Diagem: Thank you for your advice! However I am definitely seeking that high crown and depth for that ring pop look :D

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Softly, softly that is gorgeous, what are the specs? It''s beautiful
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

pmpkn42

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/9/2008 2:06:35 PM
Author: elmo
FWIW on that three carat L, it will be extremely difficult if not impossible for a cushion with 47% depth to look right. He used to have a nice looking three carat M that looked like the one on the home page, not sure if that''s still there or not. Also (to each his own) color as low as this is not my cup of tea - too beige - although I and J cushions this size still look pretty nice.

I have a 3.52 antique cushion purchased from Erica and Grace. It''s an M in color, but faces up MUCH whiter than ALL of the J''s and MOST of the I''s (modern cushions) I had seen prior to finding my diamond. I couldn''t be happier with my stone, and LOVE telling people it''s an M color as they think I''m pulling their leg.
2.gif

Resonance-

I''d HIGHLY recommend Grace, she was AWESOME to do business with. I don''t think this will be my last diamond from her!
1.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 12:22:08 AM
Author: MMT
Softly, softly that is gorgeous, what are the specs? It''s beautiful
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks MMT! According to the appraisal it''s an antique cushion dating from the 1890s, 2ct H SI1. The setting is a platinum trellis setting by Mark Morrell

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results