shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Cushion ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaffine14

Rough_Rock
I am trying to decide on which direction to go in purchasing a cushion diamond. I do like both modern brilliant cushions and antique cushions. My budget is $7,500. I want something around 1.10-1.5 carats, color: D-G, L:W 1.07-1.12. For all you cushion experts out there what is your opinion on these antique stones:

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=2099&SHAPE=C&PAGE=4

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=887&SHAPE=C&PAGE=4

Also, do you know of any other websites where you can browse antique cushions.

I would like to put this stone in a modern setting, preferably a micro pave thin setting. My total budget is $10,000. I am also from Boston, MA, I don''t know if any of you know of any antique jewelry stores in the area.

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
you *need* to see Cushions in person to truly evaluate them.

Also, EGL Israel isn''t the most reliable cert for a stone.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Of the two you posted, based on the photographs, I like the first better than the second.

Kaffine14

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your advice, I definately agree with your remarks. I need to go out an look at some cushions - I know that Mark T is the go to guy but NYC is not convienent at this time. Does anyone reccommend any Boston diamond vendors who carry loose antique or modern cushions?

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, can''t help you with Boston stores.

What I did was I worked with a diamond importer who handles thousands of stones - which for me meant that he would be able to pick out the winners from the rest. From the market, and we searched the world for two months, he selected three stones, and I made the final selection.

The paralel to this would be to work with someone like Mark at ERD or Jon at GOG, have them do the legwork, and when you''re down to 2 or 3 stones, either make a selection based on expertise, or take a trip out then. I know GOG, for example, makes very HQ videos of stones to compare. That could be an option.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/1/2008 1:58:40 PM
Author: Kaffine14
Thank you both for your advice, I definately agree with your remarks. I need to go out an look at some cushions - I know that Mark T is the go to guy but NYC is not convienent at this time. Does anyone reccommend any Boston diamond vendors who carry loose antique or modern cushions?
Mark may be able to send you video. I dont know anyone in Boston area but you can try searching for a thread relating to Boston vendors or check the Resources menu at the top of the page. I also read once that Mark did go to Boston once. May be worth a try.

Out of the links you posted and based solely on numbers and that one frame of shot (which means zero in terms or real life appearance) - I like the first one better. The depth on the second may be too much so you arent getting as much face up for your money.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
You know, I dont like either of those and I think you can do much better. First of all, the first one, though the cut looks better, is EGL/Israel so I doubt it''s actually a G/VS2 or whatever they said. EGL/Israel is known for grading 2+ grades higher than what GIA would grade. No sense in paying for something you''re not really getting, unless you see it in person and just love it. The second stone, I''m not getting the faceting of that at all. The center looks very weird and unsettling to my eye.

Why dont you call Mark at ERD and see what he has in newly cut antique style cuts, and call Ari at Single Stone and see what he has. I was just at his place the other day and IIRC, he had some cushions in that size range.

Good luck.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
You can browse at http://www.artdecodiamonds.com/...

Their photos aren''t very enticing - very dark for some reason - but their rocks are GIA certed.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
This 1.51 F at Old World is over your budget, but it is GIA and a gorgeous stone. Adam at Old World is very easy to deal with.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
This stone from JewelsbyEricaGrace.com is a fabulous 1.60 K/L at the right price. Mine Cut

OMC160_e_194162257_std.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think the two stones PP posted are heaps nicer than the first two.

Kaffine14

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for doing all of that research for me, I appreciate your comments. I think that come Sept I will head over to the Boston jewelers building just to look at stones in person. In November I have a trip planned with my girlfriends to NYC so if I am still searching maybe I can set up an appointment with Mark T at ERD that weekend. I don''t think the proposal is going to come until end of Dec, New Years, or sometime in Feb. So I still have plenty of time.

Thanks again!

wandamas

Rough_Rock
kaffine - My BF recently purchased my OEC from old world diamonds. Adam is wonderful to deal with. He is very patient and even held our diamond on the side for 2 months while we thought it over. His office is in a very secure bldg so you need to make an appt to look at the diamonds but once your are in there he can show you an endless amount of things. They keep every diamond from their online inventory in there offices. You will feel no pressure about buying and you will get a good idea of what the color and clarity ranges are.

~wanda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results