shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Cushion Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jburk6332

Rough_Rock
Today I went to look at 6 cushion cuts, all GIA stones ranging from 1.1-2.2 carat, D-J in color and VVS2- SI1 in clarity. From previous advice on here, I looked at all the stones first before looking at the grading reports. I picked out my favorite which happened to be a 1.6 carat, I VVS2. I thought after all the stones I had seen and all the ones I had called in, I had finally found the one. The vendor then brought out one more which was an antique super chunky cushion and it was phenomenal, I was absolutely blown away. I had told him what I was looking for and boy did he find it, you guys weren''t kidding when you said find a stone that speaks to you.

My only question now and my reason for posting is that the stone isn''t certified. He said that it''s a 1.2 carat, J VS1. Comparing all the stones he had side by side, I agree that worst case scenario it is a J and VS1. Actually I believe it to be more a H-I, VVS2. Is $3600 unresonable for an uncertified stone? I fully intend to have it independently appraised tomorrow but I wanted your expert opinion first.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Often antique stones do not have a grading report, and if it does it''s usually EGL.

Make sure you take the stone to an appraiser that has knowledge about antique cuts!

Have any pictures of this beauty?

One more thing, old cuts are often deceptively face up whiter than viewed from the side. I have a K cushion and face up it''s quite white but from the side you can see the tint.

jburk6332

Rough_Rock
Here is the only decent picture I got before the battery died on my camera. Unfortunately from all the moving around trying to get a decent angle, I''ve gotten finger prints all over it. I''ll post more from the appraisal tomorrow. Thanks for the advice so far.

DSCF0076s.JPG

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re in the LA area, I''d highly suggest having Ari from Singlestone taking a gander at your stone. He was very honest in what he thought of my stone. Also, Grace from Jewels by Erica Grace.

It looks more like a newly cut cushion with the chunky antique facets... but I''m no expert on antique stones, I just love them.

Regardless of what an appraiser says, if it makes your heart sing, keep it!

jburk6332

Rough_Rock
No, I am in the Dallas area. I checked the resources above and it looks like there a 3 appraisers close by, I''ll call them tomorrow and see if anyone has experience with "said" antique stones. I just saw the picture and it looks horrible on here, way too much reflection from my hands. I definitely need some practice on picture taking.

If anyone has or knows of an appraiser in my area, a recommendation would be great. Thanks again.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I figured the color was not from the diamond itself ;-)

In either case, you just need to judge it with your eyes and the appraisal is just an extra bonus.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Looks like a pretty stone! However, it does not appear to be an antique cushion to me, at least not from this one photo that you have here. It is definitely chunky though!

Having said that, you said that this is the stone that caught your eye and the one that you loved so please do no let the fact that the diamond may or may not be an antique sway you. For as long as the diamond checks out when your appraiser looks at it, enjoy it and know that you picked the stone that called out to you!

Good luck with your setting choice!

jburk6332

Rough_Rock
Well I met with the appraiser this afternoon. He did confirm that it was an antique cut cushion with an open culet. He said that it was 1.22 carat, 6.57x6.39x3.92, right on the K-L line in color and easily a VS1. He loved the cut of the stone and said the symmetry and polish were very good. He did say that it had moderate to strong blue fluorescence. It is slightly bigger than originally represented but the color is graded lower. Are there any red flags you see on anything else or should I just let my eyes decide and stop worrying about the paper?

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t answer the question about pricing (did the appraiser have any thoughts on the price?), but I think the stone is beautiful, and if that''s the one that called out to you, then that''s all that matters! After seeing enough cushions, you just know when you see your stone.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Well the fluorescence would help it face up whiter. But congrats on the antique stone! I can''t comment on the pricing either. But if it makes your heart sing, keep it!

You might want to check out www.oldworlddiamonds.com just to compare prices of SIMILAR stones.. however I believe antique cut prices vary by the actual look of the stone and not just the specs.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yay! Well, aren''t you glad that I was wrong?
3.gif

If you had not known about the stone''s color from your appraiser, would it have changed the way you feel about the stone? Im guessing not.

Do you love it just as much? Im guessing yes.

Also keep in mind that cushions are not easy to find, and if you let this one go, it may take you a looooong while to find another one that you love just as much.

Good luck!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Does antique cut cushion mean that is cut in the antique style or it is an antique stone?

I think the stone is beautiful!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your find. I think it''s really pretty and think that given what you''ve said about it, you should get it! Your ring is going to be one gorgeous ring!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
It is quite lovely! I would have guessed also that it''s a modern stone with an antique style cut, but hey- it''s hard to tell from a pic anyway, and... well... it''s not the best photo in the universe either
2.gif

I would wear it in a heartbeat whether it''s new or old. It''s in my favorite color range for antique cuts and I dearly love chunky facets, and it''s got a neat shape. Oh, and fluoro is something I like too especially in a K/L/M color.

If it speaks to you, I''d go for it. It looks beautiful to me. I sure remember that *click* when I found my OEC... both of them! (Luckily a girl doesn''t have to be monogamous with diamonds
3.gif
)

If the appraiser said it was within the ballpark on color, and you like the way it looks in person, I''d say it''s not worth worrying about... while I haven''t looked at cushions with those specs anytime recently, I don''t think the price seems out of line at all.

jburk6332

Rough_Rock
This is going to get kinda choppy but I am going to try an answer all the questions above.

The appraiser without knowing what the asking price was said $3500-$3750 was a very fair price,so we''re inline there.

I did check Old World Diamonds the night I got it and the prices vary alot in that carat range, none were exactly the same color and clarity so it was hard to compare.

Right or wrong, it doesn''t matter. I just appreciate everyones input and looking out for me. In a perfect world, I would have preferred the stone to be whiter but I am taking everything else the stone has that I love and I''m going to overlook the color. The appraiser felt that to find a whiter stone with the same characteristics, if I could even find one, would likely cost thousands more.

It is both, an antique stone cut in an antique style.

It''s a bad photo I know, I''ll do better next time I post one, promise.

I appreciate it so much the comments and opinions I have received going through this lengthysearch. I guarantee I wouldn''t have found or known near this much about diamonds without the wonderful members here at Pricescope.

Thank You Again,

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results