shape
carat
color
clarity

another dilemma....trillions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IndecisiveGirl

Rough_Rock
So I am still being a little indecisive about this ring/diamond business.

I had my heart set on the most sparkley/brilliant princess center stone...but there were some issues with compatibility in the design of the ring...long story :)

Anyway, then I saw a trillion cut sapphire and started looking into trillion (trilliant, trillium etc) stones.

Now I am thinking that a trillion center stone - not the triangle shaped ones, but with the convex (bowed) sides - would look amazing.

Of course, I spent so much time looking up specs on princess cuts, and that all goes out the window with trillium. I know the first reply I get will say something about you have to see it in person / can''t tell with specs etc., but any advice on how I should go about finding / selecting a trillion would be greatly appreciated, what questions should I ask. I have searched, but it seems that this shape is very difficult to find (particularly as I don''t want the straight triangle.

I know that it might be difficult to find a really sparkley/brilliant trillion diamond, but any advice would be appreciated.

It has to be at least 6mm ''length'' in one direction probably between 6-8mm, of course as symmetric as possible. Mostly I want as sparkley as possible, from what I have read people are saying at least 50% depth...but can I really find one like this!? I would be looking for G/H VS1-SI1...but I think I am going to have to be more flexible.

Here is one suggestion I found:
Trilliant Cut, GIA Certified, Premium Cut - Modified Triangle Brilliant - Depth/Table/Flour/Pol/Sym/Dim -- 33.8 57 None VG G 8.63 x 7.89 x 2.94 - 1.00 carat E SI1

I can view the GIA certificate, so I know its the right shape, but no pictures/photos, and the certificate/ GIA don''t make inferences as to the cut quality of trillions.

Any help would be appreciated

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, with trillions, one just cannot judge by the numbers . I would never buy a fancy cut diamond without pictures and some proof of its light performance (ASET). What's more, without pictures, how do you know if the SI1 is eye clean? I also have a tendency to shy away from stones that are exactly 1.00ct in carat weight for several reasons.
1. One chip and it'll fall under 1 ct and the value takes a big drop (under 1 ct pricing)
2. I would be suspicious that the cutter is cutting to hit the 1 ct mark to get more money out of the sale versus cutting for a dazzling look.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know anything about trillions but I love them side set and have always wanted one!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Abazia''s always seems to have a lot of trillions. There are other PS folks who have had good experiences with them, so that might be one thing to try. Everyone is going to say you need to see it in person, or have someone you trust eye it. GoG was recommended to me. I will be getting a trillion e-ring one of these years, BF bought it already, so hopefully he did well, and won''t keep me waiting for ever :) I''ve never seen it.

I have heard that depth of 50%+ is preferable, but I have also said that trillions can be cut much more shallow and still perform well. Ask for ASET photos, so that you can judge light return. I have seen few in the 50% depth range. Be careful of thin girdles, too. I like the straight edge trills, so be sure that you ask which are which when you are inquiring about stones, though pics will clear that up. Symmetry and polish are important, and I stick with H or higher in color.

Good luck, and post any pics you get! We gotta keep these trillions in the limelight!

If you like unique shapes, maybe a starset princess? It''s just a princess set on its angle, more like a kite. I think rings look fantastic like this... it''s unique, but it''s easier to find good parameters for a princess.

IndecisiveGirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 1:04:07 AM
Author: trillionaire
Abazia''s always seems to have a lot of trillions. There are other PS folks who have had good experiences with them, so that might be one thing to try. Everyone is going to say you need to see it in person, or have someone you trust eye it. GoG was recommended to me. I will be getting a trillion e-ring one of these years, BF bought it already, so hopefully he did well, and won''t keep me waiting for ever :) I''ve never seen it.

I have heard that depth of 50%+ is preferable, but I have also said that trillions can be cut much more shallow and still perform well. Ask for ASET photos, so that you can judge light return. I have seen few in the 50% depth range. Be careful of thin girdles, too. I like the straight edge trills, so be sure that you ask which are which when you are inquiring about stones, though pics will clear that up. Symmetry and polish are important, and I stick with H or higher in color.

Good luck, and post any pics you get! We gotta keep these trillions in the limelight!

If you like unique shapes, maybe a starset princess? It''s just a princess set on its angle, more like a kite. I think rings look fantastic like this... it''s unique, but it''s easier to find good parameters for a princess.

Thankyou for your advice :) Yeah the only places that show any trillions when I search on PS are Abazia''s and Union. So I am not sure if this means that other places just don''t hold them. Did you request a trillion from GOG then, because they don''t even have the option to select this shape in their online search function. Their diamonds always look fab. It''s funny, I do also like the kite set princess...it''s just that the princess diamonds are cut quite deep, which might not work with my setting. I will post pics when I finally/hopefully find what I am looking for...fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results