shape
carat
color
clarity

Another 50 miles question, need some tips

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,
I have the "50 miles" trip booked on Thursday, so don't hammer me anymore. I do need some tips before the trip.
I have been to the show room once and it is blinding!
10.gif
Spot lights on the ceils, in the show cases, in your eyes on your face too.
Everything looks abs beautiful. They must spent big $$$ on the lighting.

I am complete newbie, with untrained eyes. She has 3 rings for me all under HCA 2 (1.3 1.7 1.8). I don't think there is any chance that I can tell the difference. And I doubt that she will let me take them outside.

What should I do in order to pick the right one. Should I do more reading?
34.gif

I feel like it is going to be a coin toss at the end of day...
33.gif

Need your help, thanks

MP

Shiny_Rock
Who are you going to see? Likewise, what are you looking for in a ring and diamond? Make sure you have some finite criteria points to judge the rings by. Somthing as simple as nothing under an I color or VS clarity rating. It will help you weed out one''s that you may otherwise buy and regret later.

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
Good Luck Rocku,
Just see which diamond jumps out to you and go with that.

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 2:11:48 PM
Author: MP
Who are you going to see? Likewise, what are you looking for in a ring and diamond? Make sure you have some finite criteria points to judge the rings by. Somthing as simple as nothing under an I color or VS clarity rating. It will help you weed out one's that you may otherwise buy and regret later.
I have them weed out 4C's for me already.
5.gif

All three rings are G color, VS2/VS1, EX cut on GIA and about same weight/price too.
Even HCA is close too. 1.3 1.7 1.8

Everybody suggest me make a trip, so what I suppose to do when I get there?

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 2:18:37 PM
Author: Yekutiel
Good Luck Rocku,
Just see which diamond jumps out to you and go with that.

I have been to the store, with the light setup over here, everything jumps out to me.
I think it is shamful that most showroom use spot light, it should be banned
29.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
The clarity ratings you''ve got should be good, but it''s always good to confirm those ratings by looking at them under a loupe. With VS1 and VS2 it should be pretty difficult to find the inclusions. If it''s not, then that''s something to think about.

You should also ask to look at the rings in an area beyond the crazy lighting, someplace that has indirect sunlight (near a window or outside under an awning) or even under regular fluorescent lighting so can get a sense as to how the stones will perform in your fiancees usual "habitat". Most stores will let you do this. It might be helpful to see the certs as well. I think if they''re all good "on paper" your eyes will really tell you which one they like. I don''t think you''ll need to flip a coin. If they''ll let you take pix, bring your camera and post them for the forum so you can get some second opinions. Good luck and have fun!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
The store will have to have some area away from the crazy lights. Sit under a table if you have to. Is there a window you can stand near? A back office area they''ll let you use? A bathroom? It sounds like you''ve done an excellent job narrowing it down to these three, so trust your eyes. If they really do all look good, then pick the biggest one, or the cheapest one.
31.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
if they''re that close, and all great quality, you probably can''t go wrong.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Why not buy an Idealscope and take that with you, to give you another way to judge the cut of the stones?

https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Crumbs, someone (Storm?) posted great advice about wearing a (for example) blue-coloured shirt, shielding the top of the stones from the dazzle of the shop lights and seeing how much of the stone reflects the colour of your blue (or whatever) shirt back at you...

If someone could repost that advice in a better, more coherent and relevant way, that might help you! :)

x x x

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
Usually jewelers agree to take the diamond outside accompanied by one of their employees if they feel comfortable with you or possibly take you next to a window. They should understand your concern if they are comfortable with the diamonds they are selling.

Or you can always ask them to show them to you under a diamond pickers'' desk light which is usually a three or two bulb fluorescent natural/daylight.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bring an ideal scope with you. Also, try to get to some natural lighting and ask them if you can bring it in the back or go by a window. If they still all look amazing pick the cheapest one or the largest looking one.

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 4:58:22 PM
Author: Cleo
Why not buy an Idealscope and take that with you, to give you another way to judge the cut of the stones?

http://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Crumbs, someone (Storm?) posted great advice about wearing a (for example) blue-coloured shirt, shielding the top of the stones from the dazzle of the shop lights and seeing how much of the stone reflects the colour of your blue (or whatever) shirt back at you...

If someone could repost that advice in a better, more coherent and relevant way, that might help you! :)

x x x

I don''t think I can get a IS on time for Thursday.
Also the diamond are mounted, w/o exp using IS, I doubt how much I can benefit from the tool.
7.gif

Blue shirt is agreat idea. Is there any article on judging diamond with naked eyes?

rocku

Shiny_Rock
Am I over anayling the situation? Should I just go and pick the one I like most at store.
27.gif

On the paper, they are all wonderful diamonds.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I would also watch the tutorial videos here:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/video

They cover the way that diamonds can appear under spotlighting in stores, and how Ideal-cut stones can actually appear darker than not-so-well-cut stones in these conditions.. which is worth knowing.

They all sound like great stones - so arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can... and at the end of the day, I''m sure you will just fall in love with one of them more than the others and go with that one. :)

x x x

rocku

Shiny_Rock
How good is 35.1 Crown couple with 40.8 Pavilion Angle??? How about the light return?
36.gif

The stone, I am ruling for has ex ex ex 61.5% 56% 35.1 40.8.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Rocku - When I was looking at "ideal" cut diamonds last year, I would hold my other hand over it to put the diamond into a shadow, and judge the sparkle pattern then. Also, we noticed that the stones will have different "looks" as you move them. Sometimes, some of the stones would have a large section go extinct (the light cancels out, and an entire section of the diamond would go black). I hated that. My well-cut 1.5 ct diamond is not ideal cut, but it sure doesn''t do that. Look through the microscope to see what the inclusions are, then check if you can see them with the naked eye. Be sure to look through the side of the diamond, as well as top down. My diamond is set so that I look through the diamond from the side all the time. I''m really glad I can''t see any inclusions that way.

Good luck on Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results