shape
carat
color
clarity

Amazing halo CADS in from ERD - looking for final input

morgin

Rough_Rock
Hey helpful PSers

So, I figure since you've led me this far and it's all turned out wonderfully, I should seek final input on some minor detail points. This is the first round of CADs from ERD based on the design ideas I gave them. It's loosely based on the 2639, but with some elements changed (not all of which are apparent with the CADS.)

First - the images. I have a few more views if there are any detail points you want a different look at:

Since 4 images is the maximum for a post, I'm going to reply with a few "inspiration" images and my own thoughts, and then seek feedback.

_5167.jpg

mq3.jpg

mq5.jpg

mq7.jpg

morgin

Rough_Rock
First, the things that ERD confirmed they'd work in but couldn't be done in the CAD at this stage:

1) Halo (but not basket) is going to be done in 14k rose gold. They are going to send me some example pics of their 14k rose gold work, but based on some threads and images posted here, I'm comfortable it will be pretty close to the tone I'm looking for (pink instead of 18k rose gold yellowish).

2) The shank will be hand-engraved. Their CADs don't reflect hand engraving details.

My own thoughts:

1) The CAD people definately used their replication of the tacori 2639 as the base for this. The changes are exactly what I was looking for (shorter basket, less cut out on the band.) However, I wonder if perhaps there can be a little bit more done to "de-tacori"-ize it. The little diamond at the base is kind of the tacori signature, and I'm take it or leave it with that, so will probably say leave it out, especially given the engraving I want done.

2) I understand CADs add a lot of bulk, but I wonder about the width of the halo. It's hard to get a sense of proportions, and my recollection is that it usually ends up looking thinner than you'd think based on the CAD. I'm not sure what size the melee stones will be. I think if it was just a bit thinner, that would look a bit more delicate and improve the halo.

3) The band itself seems bulky, but again this could be both the tacori as the basis or the CAD itself. The ring size will be a size 6 with a 1.23ct round. Notes from ERD are that "center diamond will sit approx. 6.75-7mm from table to finger, and shank is 2mm with 1.8mm depth and pinches in towards the top". I wouldnt mind it being a little more delicate looking.

4) I'm not really keen on the single diamond where the band and upper pieces that connect to the halo kind of meet. However, ERD indicated this was because CAD doesn't show engraving.

One of the inspiration pics I sent seems to have a bit of a thinner band. Thoughts? (ignore the basket, I prefer the one in the CAD which is what I was after)

This image of a Tacori is kind of how I envision the rose gold:

Finally, re: halo width, I've always liked the top down view of the VC halos. Do you think this is about the same width, or thinner?

Thanks!

es18099_0.jpg

c7735972919711e2912322000a1f933e_7.jpg

73_2.jpg

morgin

Rough_Rock
Oh - one last thing I was thinking about but could use some feedback before I give my thoughts to ERD: The upper shank with the pinch and diamond - I'm not sure I'm 100% on it yet, but that's partly because I can't envision the engraving work very well.

I did find a couple images (one from PS, one elsewhere) of a setting that has some filigree/engraving that I think looks ok - could use feedback if I'm out to lunch thinking something of that nature could be used on this design instead of that lonely diamond on the side of the band:

_130.png

rg2807w-2.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the CADs look really good and will look even better when the rose gold is added in.

I love the look of the beading under the basket but I worry that a wedding band will rub against it and damage each other. Or are you planning for this to be worn sans wedding band?

There is a bit of a gap between the centre diamond and the halo, it could just be the CAD or something you chose, but to me it would look better with the halo tighter around the centre stone.

If you dont like the little single stone at the bottom I say remove it. It is very 'Tacori' so if you want to avoid similarities, then take it out.

Also if you aren't keen on the two diamonds either side of the basket when don't you leave that as just engraving and put the diamonds in the basket itself. They would look fab placed inside the petal parts at the bottom.

Finally I personally prefer the cushion shape of the rose gold halo in the inspiration Tacori that you posted. Its just my personal preference, but I think that it would go so prettily with that basket and shank combo that you've chosen. Can I convert you?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the shank looks pretty thick. I'd ask the height of the shank from the base to the top. CADs are deceiving sometimes, but I'd want to know the shank height before suggesting it be made lower.

I also prefer the cushion shape halo and I do think the halo in the CAD is a little too wide even if it stays round. It would also be nice for the gallery below the halo to sit on a doughnut (base) so that a wedding band won't damage the gallery.

Those are not good examples of engraving. You need to go about that part differently and ask ERD to ask their engraver for some examples of engraving designs that they do well and which would be appropriate for the ring, and choose from those.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you were able to get your rose gold halo!

1) I'm actually quite surprised how similar they were able to emulate the 2639. The little diamond at the 5 o'clock position definitely seems like a Tacori signature, but if that's not your thing I would just have them take it out, especially if you are having engraving done.

2) halo width - I'm not sure what size pointers they are using either, but another reason it looks thinner in VC's work is because the halo is tilted and not at a 90 degree angle to the stone. I don't remember the specific angles that some of the other PSers have requested their halos to be tilted when they worked with VC, so hopefully someone who remembers can chime in.

3) shank width - I think 2mm is fine, especially with the taper to 1.8 closest to the basket. I think if you are really concerned, you could consider 1.8 with a taper to 1.6 but I think much of the bulky appearance is from the CAD. Agreed with diamondseeker's suggestion on finding the shank height first.

4) what kind of engraving would you get in that little half-circle area where the single diamond is? Another idea to "de-tacori" it would be to get rid of those cutouts in that area completely (below the diamonds) but leave the open space directly adjacent to the basket. That would allow more space for engraving.

I like the engraving on the 2nd band you posted. The swirliness and the milgrain beading matches better with your current style of ring.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1365129273|3420590 said:
Those are not good examples of engraving. You need to go about that part differently and ask ERD to ask their engraver for some examples of engraving designs that they do well and which would be appropriate for the ring, and choose from those.

Seconded. This is sounds like very good idea OP.

Regarding shank thickness- I think it looks nice as it. Not to thick at all. But thats just me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooops, I think I overlooked this:

"shank is 2mm with 1.8mm depth"

So the shank is 2mm wide, and I am assuming by "depth" they mean the same thing as I do when I refer to the height of the shank.

If that is correct, then I think it is fine. 2mm is a good width and 1.8mm high for the shank is fine as well.

morgin

Rough_Rock
I'm going to reply to these all in one go. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Also - one thing I forgot to mention - I was thinking of adding one more stone down the shank on each side - the anniversary of our first date is Oct. 10 (10/10) so I thought the silly cheesy factor of having that represented by the 10 diamonds down each side would score me some points. That said, should I be dropping down the width and stepping down one size in stone such that it doesn't go any further down the band, or would one extra not make too much visual difference? I can't really tell.

chel180|1365127763|3420559 said:
I love the look of the beading under the basket but I worry that a wedding band will rub against it and damage each other. Or are you planning for this to be worn sans wedding band?
No, I think she wants to wear it with a wedding band. One of my requests was that a band could sit flush, so I'll ask about that again.

There is a bit of a gap between the centre diamond and the halo, it could just be the CAD or something you chose, but to me it would look better with the halo tighter around the centre stone.
I didn't choose that, and I agree it would look better if it was tighter. My request with the halo will be to thin it out a little bit and tighten it up.

If you dont like the little single stone at the bottom I say remove it. It is very 'Tacori' so if you want to avoid similarities, then take it out. Also if you aren't keen on the two diamonds either side of the basket when don't you leave that as just engraving and put the diamonds in the basket itself. They would look fab placed inside the petal parts at the bottom.
Can you explain this more? There's a couple spots you could mean but I just want to make sure I'm thinking of the same one!

Finally I personally prefer the cushion shape of the rose gold halo in the inspiration Tacori that you posted. Its just my personal preference, but I think that it would go so prettily with that basket and shank combo that you've chosen. Can I convert you?
I'm pretty much 50/50 on it. However, my girlfriend has time and time again pointed out round halo's as being something she loves, and on a few occasions made an offhand remark about not really digging the cushion shape, so.... I think I'm going to have to follow my gut based on her hints and go round. Maybe there is a compromise in the middle? Hard to say though!

I think that the shank looks pretty thick. I'd ask the height of the shank from the base to the top. CADs are deceiving sometimes, but I'd want to know the shank height before suggesting it be made lower. Ooops, I think I overlooked this: "shank is 2mm with 1.8mm depth" So the shank is 2mm wide, and I am assuming by "depth" they mean the same thing as I do when I refer to the height of the shank. If that is correct, then I think it is fine. 2mm is a good width and 1.8mm high for the shank is fine as well.
Just to re-mention this, it will be a size 6 ring. I don't know if that impacts proportions for these width/depth figures. I also would like everything to be in proportion to the center stone which is a 1.23 ct with measurements of 6.93 - 6.96 x 4.21 mm. I suspect the apparent chunkiness must be a CAD thing then because when i draw this out on paper to actual size it looks quite small!

I also prefer the cushion shape halo and I do think the halo in the CAD is a little too wide even if it stays round. It would also be nice for the gallery below the halo to sit on a doughnut (base) so that a wedding band won't damage the gallery.
Re cushion vs. round - as mentioned above, have to go with her hints on liking round halos. I guess the best solution would be to accidently have that image end up in front of her and gauge a reaction to it, but I'd prefer at this stage for radio silence on ring related convos. So round it will be. Re: donut - how does that impact wearing a wedding band? I think she'd like to wear both on that finger, and I think her preference would be flush if possible. With a donut do you just get a wedding ring custom made to bend around it?

Good advice. I will get in touch and ask for some ERD examples.

pandabee|1365129591|3420596 said:
I'm glad you were able to get your rose gold halo!
1) I'm actually quite surprised how similar they were able to emulate the 2639. The little diamond at the 5 o'clock position definitely seems like a Tacori signature, but if that's not your thing I would just have them take it out, especially if you are having engraving done.
Thanks - me too! Working with Chris at ERD and he is really awesome and has made me feel pretty good about the whole process.

2) halo width - I'm not sure what size pointers they are using either, but another reason it looks thinner in VC's work is because the halo is tilted and not at a 90 degree angle to the stone. I don't remember the specific angles that some of the other PSers have requested their halos to be tilted when they worked with VC, so hopefully someone who remembers can chime in.
Is a pointer the little stones around the halo? I can ask what size they are.

3) shank width - I think 2mm is fine, especially with the taper to 1.8 closest to the basket. I think if you are really concerned, you could consider 1.8 with a taper to 1.6 but I think much of the bulky appearance is from the CAD. Agreed with diamondseeker's suggestion on finding the shank height first.
I think the height is the 1.8mm number that was mentioned. I can double check though.

4) what kind of engraving would you get in that little half-circle area where the single diamond is? Another idea to "de-tacori" it would be to get rid of those cutouts in that area completely (below the diamonds) but leave the open space directly adjacent to the basket. That would allow more space for engraving.
I can kind of conceptually in my head see the style I want, but as others have mentioned, the images I posted don't really capture it. I was a bit on the fence about those cut-outs (the lower ones) but Chris did mention that they really mirror the basket cut outs and give a nice symmetry. If the diamonds were gone, I think I would be ok with it provided there was something done to kind of add some delicacy/intricacy to that area (engraving was how I thought that might happen). I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply! I'm really excited about this and I think with a few tweaks it will be exactly what I was hoping for (and hopefully exactly what she's hoping for! haha)

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Morgin ill try to draw a picture of what I mean for diamonds in the basket later when I'm on the computer. And whilst I love the cushion halo personally it's not my ring. So you've gotta go with what your gf prefers.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is sorta what I meant. The blue dots are where I would add diamonds. I would put them into the basket at the bottom of the 'petals' and I would also add them to the scalloped beading.

I painted out all the diamonds on the side of the shank to show what this would look like. I like the look of it diamond free myself and would go for engraving only on these bits.

What do you think?

mq5ed.jpg

morgin

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for that! That looks really cool actually. It would be a very sparkly profile :D

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No problem. Glad you like it.

Was ERD able to show you any engraving examples?

morgin

Rough_Rock
They did get me engraving examples. Look great and way better than what I was posting as example (not going to post them unless Chris tells me its ok though - I was ok with my CADs being up but these are someone else's ring so I don't know if its cool or not to post without permission).

I'm getting revised CADs to correct some of the issues identified and also getting some feedback from the CAD people on those
shoulder diamonds (I've come around on liking them with the engraving being done, but they may make a flush fit difficult and affect the wedding band anyway, so we'll see if I keep them). Apparently the basket itself might be too delicate to mount diamonds on in a way that would look good.

Does anyone have the photoshop skills to alter the halo part into a rose gold color? I tried and it turned out awful.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
not so patiently waiting for those pics.... :naughty:

morgin

Rough_Rock
It's sitting in a safety deposit box right now but here are some of the pics from ERD. I'm going to do a full post showing all of the pics from each step in case anyone is interested in ERD's work process. Chris was fantastic to deal with and I'm so happy with the final result.

_157.png

_6453.jpg

_6454.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Wow! :love: :love: It's fabulous! You did a fantastic job pulling a lot of different design elements together to create one truly beautiful ring! Gorgeous!!! :appl: :love:

morgin

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Will take a few more pics when I can!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful delicate workmanship and attention to detail! Its gorgeous w the RG!!

Congratulations!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. The end result is just gorgeous. They did an amazing job!

morgin

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1369168301|3451353 said:
WOW. The end result is just gorgeous. They did an amazing job!

I'm glad I read so much on here about cads. Notwithstanding my excited title to the thread, I was pretty nervous about how it would turn out based on those and the issues inherent to cads, like added bulk and lack of detail. Chris was great though, told me not to worry and he really delivered.

FieryBrilliance

Rough_Rock
Hi Morgin,

Congratulations on such a beautiful design - I love the rose gold halo and am so glad that you posted this because I am looking to do something very similar for my girlfriend, only with a splitshank and cushion halo. I have never seen the Tacori you used as inspiration and think it's very lovely. I also happen to be working with Chris at ERD, so it's nice to see what they've put together for you. Have you seen the ring itself yet, or just the pictures from them? If you have seen it, are you satisfied with the rose gold tint?

Congrats again and thanks for sharing this!

morgin

Rough_Rock
FieryBrilliance|1369175758|3451425 said:
Hi Morgin,

Congratulations on such a beautiful design - I love the rose gold halo and am so glad that you posted this because I am looking to do something very similar for my girlfriend, only with a splitshank and cushion halo. I have never seen the Tacori you used as inspiration and think it's very lovely. I also happen to be working with Chris at ERD, so it's nice to see what they've put together for you. Have you seen the ring itself yet, or just the pictures from them? If you have seen it, are you satisfied with the rose gold tint?

Congrats again and thanks for sharing this!

I have it in my possession and yes I am extremely satisfied. Rose gold has this issue of being extremely hard to photograph and even harder to display properly. On my work monitor these pics look way more yellow/brown coppery than they do on my phone or in person. In person the 14k ERD used looks very pink - the closest example I've seen in person is the rose gold that Simon G uses (contrasted with Tacori's rose gold, which in person I thought looked more yellow).

FieryBrilliance

Rough_Rock
Hey Morgin,

Glad to hear it. I was looking at some of the other threads you've started and noticed that you went with 14k rose gold - a good thing for me to know, because the quote I got for my setting from ERD included 18k rose gold but me lady definitely prefers the pinker vs. orange/peachy look, so I may have to get them to modify that a bit.

Another question I had: did you end up getting your stone at WF or did you go through ERD for that as well?

Lastly, I"m from Toronto but live in the states now - nice to see another Canuck here! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results