shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock

Hi Everyone!!

35.gif

My name is Laura and I am new to the Pricescope forums.

My SO, Mike, and I had been looking at engagement rings for almost 6 weeks now. Just yesterday, we finally purchased a 1.50 carat, F color, VS2 clarity loose princess cut diamond and a modified tiffany setting to go with it! I loved everything separate, but when it got set together, I could just tell that something was not right!

8.gif

I got the V-prong head on my setting because it protects the corners of the diamond, but am unhappy with how they turned out. They don''t all seem symmetrical (ex: one looks pointy, another looks rounded) and the whole head of the diamond seems crooked. Also, I think they set the diamond too low because you can''t even see the point (cutlet) at the bottom. My SO and I did not even realize any of these problems until we got home and examined the ring in natural daylight.

My question is, am I crazy to want the ring to be "perfect" because I know with custom setting they can''t get everything exactly even. I really just want to take the ring back and ask them to set it again because it just looks "off!"

Here are the specs on the diamond: I fell in love with it from the moment I saw it!
10.gif

CW: 1.50
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Total Depth: 71.4%
Table Size: 74%
Girdle: Medium to Thick
Cutlet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluor: None
Measurements: 6.58 x 6.39 x 4.56 mm

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks so much!
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Laura - welcome to PS
35.gif

Why do you think that because its custom they can't make it symmetrical? I think that they should do their best to make it as perfect as possible. I have seen many custom designed rings on here and they look great.

Do you have a picture you can post?

I would definitely go back and tell them you aren't happy.
1.gif

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Hi Maisie!
35.gif
Thanks for replying!

I tried to post a picture, but it says that the file is too large. How can I change it?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use microsoft office picture manager in if you choose the option to edit pictures you can compress the file so its smaller. I don''t know if this helps but hopefully there will be something similar on your computer.

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
I have Corel Photo Album 6, but it looks like I let the free trial expire...oops!
3.gif
I will have to look for something similar to download! I will try to post a picture ASAP!

It is difficult to see the slight flaws unless you are looking at the stone in person...it actually looks pretty in the pictures I have taken. Go figure!
20.gif

I guess I figure that my SO spent oodles of money on the ring and setting so it should be perfect.

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
This one shows that the ring is slightly off center....it''s hard to tell though!

My Ring 001.jpg

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about your ring...but you have gorgeous hands!!!!!!!! Have you ever considered being a hand model?

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
This one kinda shows how the top left prong looks more rounded than the other ones. Sorry if they are not very clear...my camera does not have good resolution.

My Ring 002.jpg

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
LOL! Thanks luckystar! I actually just got a mani pedi for a friend''s wedding on Friday. My hands normally don''t look that nice!
19.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a macro setting on your camera? (It''s the flower) That will allow you to zoom in closer. I know the macro setting on my camera sucks though...

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Oooo...I think I do have the flower thingie. I didn''t even think to use it! Thanks for the advice! I will try to post more pics soon!
1.gif

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Ok...on this one with the flash, you can tell that the prongs seem to be different sizes. I swear I am not crazy!

My Ring - Zoomed in Group 2 010.jpg

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
This one shows that the diamond seems set too low. You cannot see the cutlet.

My Ring - Zoomed in Group 2 004.jpg

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
On this one, I was trying to make the stone appear even, and it looks like the band is leaning towards the side!

My Ring - Zoomed in Group 2 007.jpg

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Laura! First off, very pretty stone and gorgeous hands! Yes, I can see your concern with the way it was set. You should absolutely take it back to them and have them fix the problems, they will annoy you if you don''t. I went through the same thing with my princess stone for many years, unfortuantely I was dealing with Jared''s and they never did get it right although I went through a couple of different heads for my stone and numerous prong adjustments.......What you are wanting corrected on yours is understandable and should be no problem for a good jeweler to fix.
36.gif

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Jenn! I''m glad that I am not crazy! Little things bother me sometimes! It seems that V-prong princess settings can be hard to get right!

I just figure that my BF spent a lot of money on the diamond and that it should be set as perfect as it can. I hope the pictures help people visualize why I think things are a little bit off.

Any other opinions!
33.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see a bit of what you're concerned with ... (don't agree that you need to see the culet, but if you wish to that should be possible)

However .. I know that I have a square stone that's had three attempts at getting the prongs perfectly symmetrical & even and it's still not quite there. Square stones, especially princesses with the V prongs are just tough ... much less forgiving than round shapes that fool the eye -- squares HIGHLIGHT "off" symmytry. Ugh.

Agree that you should ask them to fix it ... but you might want to reevaluate what a "perfect ring" (as in your sig) is ... go through the Engagement Ring Eye Candy thread for a reality check on prongs. You'll see many examples of what you'd say was "off" and the owners are happy. Magazine picture perfect rarely happens in real-life.
4.gif

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
I understand what you mean. The thing that got to me was that when you set my ring down on a hard, flat surface, it wobbles and is uneven. That tells me that either the prongs or the whole head is set crooked. I knew when I got a princess setting that it would be difficult for the prongs to be "perfect" but I expected them to not be noticeably uneven. My BF and I weren''t really specific with how we wanted it set, so this next time when we take it in we will definately be equipped with pictures! Thanks for your input!
1.gif

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Laura, You will glance at your ring all day long. If you are bothered by the way it looks, then you need to have it fixed, and fixed, and fixed, until it looks just the way you think it should. You will be wearing it for a long time, and if you are unhappy with what you see when you look at it, it will drive you crazy. Sometimes you can't tell how you feel about your ring's appearance until you have worn it for a few days, so give it a little time and look at other girls' princess solitaires and see how theirs is set. If you're still "not feelin it" with your ring, than do what you need to do to make it perfect. I LOVE my ring now, but it took alot of tweeking to get it to look the exact way I wanted it to. Some people are really lucky and get it right the first time home from the jeweler, I was not one of them and it sounds like you are not either. Maybe someone here on the forum will have a similar situation that they resolved with their princess cut. I have a round diamond, so I don't know much about what goes into picking the head for a princess, but I do know the rush you will get when your ring looks perfect to you!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would definitely take it back in and talk to them about your concerns. i too recieved a princess solitaire with the same prongs, and at the time my BF bought it (7 years ago) the jeweler claimed they had never heard of such prongs. needless to say, they came out awful!! i was green back then and didn''t have PS, so when we went back in and asked them to make it right, we didn''t push back when they didn''t want to deal with us and said they couldn''t do much (and they didn''t). from similiar such experiences with the jeweler, i realize they had our money and didn''t want to be bothered any further with us.

anyway, i digress, i have now finally reset my diamond because the original has always bugged me to no end, and let me tell you WHAT A DIFFERENCE nice prongs make to the beauty of your stone!! i thought my DH had secretly upgraded on me!!

it''s true, the corner prongs are a funny lot, some get them right and make me think ''wow, you really CAN do them right, symmetrical, even'' and some are like mine were, a total mess! so chin up and hang in, and if they won''t work with you to make you happy, i would suggest returning the setting and going elsewhere (WF seems to do a good job with these type of prongs, and from personal experience with my reset i can highly recommend Mark Turnowski from engagementringsdirect.com out of NY). that is what i wish i knew i could have done seven years ago!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
its going too need a new head if you want too see the culet.
The rest needs a little tlc from a benchman

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everybody for your input! I am going down to the shop right after work tomorrow to explain my concerns and see what they can do.
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results