shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting what I paid for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoshuay

Rough_Rock
I am picking up a 1.54ct Round Brilliant F color SI1. It has a AGS grading report.

I originally went in to the store with some print outs of diamonds online to keep em honest... I was more familiar with GIA because the online retailer lists more GIA. I went to several stores... some salespeople were almost insulted... some tried and couldnt come close to online prices. I did however find one retailer (very reputable) who brought some stock in for me to look at.

He provided me with a photocopied AGS report. I was comfortable with the AGS name... but was not familiar with their system. He showed me that it was excellent symetry, excellent polish... he told me it was "triple ex" and that that is the same as Ideal... After doing some more research I could not find any supportive information. I have also asked for the original ags report... but they say they wont have it by the time I pick it up... how do I know I am really getting what is on the report? The photocopy made it hard to compare the inclusions in the diamond.

Am I getting ripped? I paid 11,400 for the stone.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get it appraised by an independent appraiser or look at the stone with a loupe to see if the inclusions match up with the cert. Also it might have a laser inscription on the stone and see if it matches the cert?

hoshuay

Rough_Rock
Thanks Skippy, There is no laser inscription and it is hard to match the inclusions because the photocopy is a bit grainy... the inclusions are light clouding near the bottom of the stone... the stone is completely eye clean from the top... you can see it from the side and the bottom. Have you ever heard of ags triple ex? Or is this just jeweler BS? The stone looks great, I just hope I didnt pay way too much. Thanks for your help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2009 11:33:58 AM
Author:hoshuay
I am picking up a 1.54ct Round Brilliant F color SI1. It has a AGS grading report.

I originally went in to the store with some print outs of diamonds online to keep em honest... I was more familiar with GIA because the online retailer lists more GIA. I went to several stores... some salespeople were almost insulted... some tried and couldnt come close to online prices. I did however find one retailer (very reputable) who brought some stock in for me to look at.

He provided me with a photocopied AGS report. I was comfortable with the AGS name... but was not familiar with their system. He showed me that it was excellent symetry, excellent polish... he told me it was 'triple ex' and that that is the same as Ideal... After doing some more research I could not find any supportive information. I have also asked for the original ags report... but they say they wont have it by the time I pick it up... how do I know I am really getting what is on the report? The photocopy made it hard to compare the inclusions in the diamond.

Hi Hoshuay

If the diamond is excellent for polish and symmetry then it isn't the same as AGS0 Ideal, otherwise it would have the ideal grading in these categories. When do they say the report will be available? You can compare prices by using the Pricescope your Diamond search tool above, it would be useful if you could post all the info so we can get a better idea of cut quality

depth%
table&
crown and pavilion angles
diameter measurement

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you have a Diamond Quality Report/Gold Report instead of the Diamond Quality Document/Pt Report. Getting an Ex in the DQR is not the same as getting an Ideal in the DQD.

hoshuay

Rough_Rock
They did not say when the original would be ready... I asked and they said I could have the photocopy at delivery and the original would be released to them when the holder of the diamond recieved payment. I paid for it in full last friday. Im curious if I get it appraised at an independent and it doesnt line up with the report if I have any recourse. How would you handle a problem like that?

I will have to post the measurements later this afternoon when I have them in front of me. I probably come across as a wishy washy buyer with a bad case of buyers remorse... but I just want to make sure I get the most rock for the money. Thanks so much.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is common for stones called in by the jeweler, but not owned by him to have just the photocopy of the report.

Post the report number if you have it.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Why don''t you go back to the store and tell them your concerns? Ask him to show you that the diamond matches the report. Have him measure, weight, color grade, show you the inclusions, etc. Ask him about the triple EX issue.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2009 11:33:58 AM
Author:hoshuay

the price sounds fair for a nice stone. the cream of the crop H&A stone will cost you about 15k.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results