shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting a good price, seems above average to me?

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Hi I'm in Toronto, I put a deposit with Adamas-intl.com searched everywhere but couldn't find a review of them so I'm hoping they are legit, they are local so that is one of the main reasons I chose them, also the specific diamond I choose is no longer listed on multiple other websites so I'm assuming, the company is legit.

Anyway I don't want to post the GIA cert number until I have it for sure however it is GIA certed
Shape Princess
Carat Weight 1.85 ct
Depth % 74.2 %
Table % 68.0 %
Symmetry % Very Good
Polish Very Good
Dimensions 6.77x6.52x4.84 mm
L/W Ratio 1.04

I negotiated and re-negotiated and got it down to $11.6USD, which seems like a steal?

Let me know what you think?

Also I'm planning to go to hwgem.com for an appraisal.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
as far as is it a good deal, depends a lot on the color, clarity, and cut quality of the diamond...

netcbc

Rough_Rock
cut can't tell because it's princess but polish and symmetry are very good, color is F and clarity is vs2..

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If price is all you care about, it is a good price - slightly lower than what I am seeing online.

I have used hwgem for appraisals in the past - they are ok. It''s a shame that I can''t find a Toronto appraiser as good as the ones I have used from the US.

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Price is definitely an important factor however what would you say about the stone itself? It seems in all categories it is above average in terms of color, clarity, size, etc?

It seems to be a good "online" price, wondering if it would come close to a true wholesaler price? As well I'm dealing with a specific individual so not just a call center, so far customer service has been very attentive, can catch him by email or phone anytime.

My GF was looking for 1.7 G VS2, so I'm thinking this should get her excited.

HWGem is only ok? What would you consider as the best in Toronto, as I want to get as accurate as possible appraisal.

Thanks

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 2:03:06 AM
Author: netcbc
Price is definitely an important factor however what would you say about the stone itself? It seems in all categories it is above average in terms of color, clarity, size, etc?

It seems to be a good ''online'' price, wondering if it would come close to a true wholesaler price? As well I''m dealing with a specific individual so not just a call center, so far customer service has been very attentive, can catch him by email or phone anytime.

My GF was looking for 1.7 G VS2, so I''m thinking this should get her excited.

HWGem is only ok? What would you consider as the best in Toronto, as I want to get as accurate as possible appraisal.

Thanks

a really important factor in determining how much your diamond sparkles and how it looks is the cut quality...but that is hard to assess from the numbers alone.

here is a video that demonstrates cut quality in princess cuts. some people would prefer ideal cut, others would prefer larger size. it''s really a matter of personal preference

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 2:09:23 AM
Author: slg47

a really important factor in determining how much your diamond sparkles and how it looks is the cut quality...but that is hard to assess from the numbers alone.

here is a video that demonstrates cut quality in princess cuts. some people would prefer ideal cut, others would prefer larger size. it''s really a matter of personal preference

Wow great video, so from the GIA report or the numbers posted online how can I find out what the cut quality is? Because from my understanding Princess cut is not graded on the GIA report? On various website include UScerted it was graded as Very Good? In the video what would the left diamond be graded as compared to the right?

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 2:30:20 AM

Date: 5/23/2010 2:09:23 AM
Author: slg47

Wow great video, so from the GIA report or the numbers posted online how can I find out what the cut quality is? Because from my understanding Princess cut is not graded on the GIA report? On various website include UScerted it was graded as Very Good? In the video what would the left diamond be graded as compared to the right?

Thanks
You really can''t find out what the cut quality is from the numbers, also GIA do not grade Princess for cut at this time. The only way to get an idea of the cut quality/performance of this diamond is to get images such as ASET and video where possible.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am not a princess expert as I have never looked into them but you really need an ASET image for us to be able to help you. I haven''t been able to find a good appraiser in Toronto so I end up using HWGem as well even though I don''t find them nearly as good or thorough as say Richard Sherwood (PS Vendor).

Have you considered other shapes or are you set on the princess cut? I am only asking because in general .. people think .. I want a square shape and think Princess cuts are their only options. In fact, there are many beautiful square options.

Here are an examples of a top quality Princess cuts but you can see that they are a bit more expensive than yours.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2252153.htm

This one is pretty good too...
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2175379.htm

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Arggh my stone was on whiteflash but it's off now, wish I pulled the pictures.

Thank you all for the information, I'll contact the vendor to ask about an ASET image, I'm hoping it'll be red like fire!!
29.gif

I got some more information from a cached whiteflash page, my stone was categorized as "Virtual Selection" and light performance "11". I didn't find the ASET image though.

Similar to this one but this one has a higher color and clarity, however cut and light performance is the same.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2301172.htm

slg47

Ideal_Rock
for the virtual selection they do not have ASET images as these diamonds are not in house, but they do have links to the ASET/GIA or AGS report/etc for all of the ACA and ES stones, you might want to consider some of those

here are some options for you

1.806 H VS1

1.8 F VS1

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Anyone know a good place in Toronto to get an ASET image on my future loose diamond?

netcbc

Rough_Rock

Hello, just an update, the appraiser hwgem rated the cut as "Excellent", it falls in the category of cut between 0-2, in person to me it sparkles just like the youtube video above so I''m super happy. I feel like a got steal on this stone as I''m showing similiar stones at least $4K more online prices.

I will post the ASET later but it shows a good amount of red.

netcbc

Rough_Rock

Wow I know it''s only a "replacement" cost but almost 2.5x the original price, awesome.

Colored ASET and stone to come.

HWGEM Cert Edited.GIF

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that is too inflated. He is probably basing it on the market in his neighborhood. This will make your insurance premium much higher.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 4:35:43 PM

Wow I know it''s only a ''replacement'' cost but almost 2.5x the original price, awesome.

Colored ASET and stone to come.

HWGem is known for their extremly inflated appraisals. You should have asked them for a NOT INFLATED ONE which is what I did. These are known as feel good appraisals. You don''t want to pay more than you have to on insurance papers.

I didn''t know they did ASETs .. I should have asked them for one.

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice guys, when I bring it back after getting it set I'll let them know not to over inflate. I didn't know you could ask that since their website had a FAQ against it.

What should I say specifically, is their a term for it? Should I ask for estimated value for "wholesale" instead of "retail"?

Yes, I would have never asked for an ASET if it wasn't for this forum, so I'm glad I got it.

Anyhow would you consider this a good buy, in terms of quality for price?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would wait until you get the ring set and bring the whole thing back for appraisal before you buy insurance. I asked for a non-inflated insurance replacement appraisal. It still ended up being like 10 K over what I paid for setting and stone - I just asked them to lower it.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My appraisal from HW gems was also high. But so was my appraisal from the local person I have used since. The problem is that if I wanted to replace my diamonds in the retail market in Canada it *would* cost me a lot more, pretty darned close to the appraisal value. So thre appraisal is accurate in that sense. But on the other hand, I will not use the Canadian market to replace, Jeweler Mutual will let me buy from who I want in the US, and so I will do so.

I am waiting for the appraisal for my new diamond presently and fear it will be very inflated. If it is, what do I do? Ask him to decrease the value??

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 5:51:00 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I would wait until you get the ring set and bring the whole thing back for appraisal before you buy insurance. I asked for a non-inflated insurance replacement appraisal. It still ended up being like 10 K over what I paid for setting and stone - I just asked them to lower it.
Is this what you did? Should I be concerned that I have no insurance and the setter might damage the stone?

Not that I have reason to believe the setter will damage as the jeweller has been pretty honest with eveyrthing so far.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 6:23:22 PM

Date: 5/27/2010 5:51:00 PM
Is this what you did? Should I be concerned that I have no insurance and the setter might damage the stone?

Not that I have reason to believe the setter will damage as the jeweller has been pretty honest with eveyrthing so far.
Accidents happen. Especially with princess cuts.

Ask the jeweler for a quote on the cost of the setting. That combined with the appraisal of the stone will get your insurance through JM that will cover you during setting. You can then get the final appraisal not inflated and adjust the insurance rate at that time.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is a chance of damage during the setting process, with princess having a higher chance than round because of the sharp corner. Usually the setter will insure the stone if it is his stone, with stones from outside, depends on the jeweler.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 6:23:22 PM

In my opnion, it is not about a jeweller being honest. Crappy happens and a stone could break although unlikely. Most of the jewellers will not cover damage during setting. The only insurance I found that covered setting is Jewelers Mutual.

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Ok thanks all, I''ll check in with JM and double check with the Jeweller what gurantees I have.

Here is the ASET, took it quickly with Iphone as I stored the stone and everything at a safety box with the bank.

Rundown once again
Price $11.6K USD
Shape Princess
Carat Weight 1.85 ct
Color F
Clarity is vs2
Depth % 74.2 %
Table % 68.0 %
Symmetry % Very Good
Polish Very Good
Dimensions 6.77x6.52x4.84 mm
L/W Ratio 1.04

Appraiser Excellent Cut

Good buy??
img_0937.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That photo sucks :razz: but from what I can see ... I would guess it is a nice aset and a great diamond.

Congrats!

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 10:45:15 PM
That photo sucks :razz: but from what I can see ... I would guess it is a nice aset and a great diamond.

Congrats!

Are you saying iphone doesn''t take good photos lol... now just for the setting, glad I didn''t really have to spend 3 months worth salary but make it look like it kinda...

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Going with what I''ve been asked for over and over for the last 1-2 years.....

Tiffany Setting 4 prong knife edge? What do you think?

Jeweler is setting up the setter and getting a platinum 950pt, setter is somwhere on victoria and shutter i think..

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 12:32:01 AM
Going with what I've been asked for over and over for the last 1-2 years.....

Jeweler is setting up the setter and getting a platinum 950pt, setter is somwhere on victoria and shutter i think..
I am sure your gf will be very happy that you are getting her what she wants! What I think? I personally have never really liked princess or the traditional Tiffany settings so it is hard for me to say.

I suggest you check out P&H Designs (416.367.2870). I used them a few times and I was happy - they usually take orders from businesses but also does consumer orders. There are also some other good ones at Dundas Square. There is a lady named Rose (sorry - that is all I remember) that does good work.

Since you aren't getting the original Tiffany, do you think she still wants that design?

How about something a little different ..
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=104
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=107
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=467&mode=search
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=390&mode=search

netcbc

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 8:12:33 AM
Date: 5/28/2010 12:32:01 AM

Going with what I''ve been asked for over and over for the last 1-2 years.....

I am sure your gf will be very happy that you are getting her what she wants! What I think? I personally have never really liked princess or the traditional Tiffany settings so it is hard for me to say.

I suggest you check out P&H Designs (416.367.2870). I used them a few times and I was happy - they usually take orders from businesses but also does consumer orders. There are also some other good ones at Dundas Square. There is a lady named Rose (sorry - that is all I remember) that does good work.

Since you aren''t getting the original Tiffany, do you think she still wants that design?

How about something a little different ..

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=104

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=107

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=467&mode=search

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=390&mode=search

Cool thanks for the links, I''ll give it some thought?

What do you mean by original tiffany? I thought the 4 prong was the original, just basically the exact same one on the site.

http://www.tiffany.ca/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10027#f+0/1002/0/0/0/1002

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results