shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy to be thinking of selling my 5 stone?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I have been toying with the idea lately of selling my Whiteflash 5 stone band (1.65cttw), and possibly purchasing an AVC. I'm hoping that i could get close to a carat. Is it silly to sell my band and get a solitaire instead? I do sort of miss wearing the "traditional" ering and wedding band. However, I am afraid that I might miss my 5 stone, but at the same time I'd like a change and I'd have to sell my band in order to fund a new stone.

I need thoughts from other people in hopes that the comments will bring up things I have not thought of.

Also, do AVCs face up much smaller than round brilliants of the same weight? I'm mostly interested in elongated cushions, if that makes a difference.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
orbaya|1347726289|3268639 said:
I have been toying with the idea lately of selling my Whiteflash 5 stone band (1.65cttw), and possibly purchasing an AVC. I'm hoping that i could get close to a carat. Is it silly to sell my band and get a solitaire instead? I do sort of miss wearing the "traditional" ering and wedding band. However, I am afraid that I might miss my 5 stone, but at the same time I'd like a change and I'd have to sell my band in order to fund a new stone.

I need thoughts from other people in hopes that the comments will bring up things I have not thought of.

Also, do AVCs face up much smaller than round brilliants of the same weight?

I don't think it's silly if that's what makes you happy... ::) do you not have a "traditional" ering anymore?

From my limited knowledge,I believe that while cushions do face up smaller than RB of equal weight, AVC do have better spread than comparable cushions when compared to RB. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for responding!

I do have a 1ct round in a 6 prong setting with a channel band that I got 14 years ago. I'm actually wanting to send the stone to Brian Gavin at some point to see if it can be recut and set in a pendant. However, I want something different than the norm for a ring, and I've loved elongated cushions for many years...and the chunky faceting of the AVC are just :love: :love: :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain.... since I got my transitional setting.. my five stone hangs out a lot in the jewelry box..

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Crazy"?? no, not at all! You want what you want/ you love what you love!! You've come to the wrong place if you want PS to tell you not to switch up the whole diamond thing!! ;))

Is it financially feasible to go that route - upgrade/sell/exchange for a solitaire? That allows you the freedom to fantasize down that road even further! If not, then I guess its just one of those things that has to be planned for and wait a while to happen.

Do you think you'd regret it if you gave it up? Sounds like you have doubts - doubts are different than regret, tho. What if you put it away for a while, did not wear it and sported a solitiare for a while. If you don't currently own one, and I realize this is NOT the same thing, but putting on a CZ knockoff under the guise of 'research in progress', you'd get a sense of what you like to see at the end of your arm!

I personally prefer to have something of everything! :Up_to_something: I have issues with limits - and - I can hardly make a decision at the best of times!!!

Try the research thing for a month and see what you think by the mid/end of October. A month would be a fair evaluation - long enough to get used to not seeing the 5 stone and really have a sense of whether a solitaire really works for you or not.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go to the GOG website and look at the AVC's and check out prices and sizes - I took a quick look and a .91 D SI2 at 5.9 mm and $5,696 - just one example, check out some others, there are a variety of different colors and clarities - I'm wondering if you'll get much finger presence with that size AVC as compared to your 5 stone. Just food for thought!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A switch from a 1.65 5 stone rb band to a 1 ct AVC would be a major bling reduction! The stones I have here now are 1.79 and 1.91, and I think almost think I'd want larger than the 1.91 for an elongated cushion. Appearance wise, the 1.79 is sort of comparable in size to my 1.5 rb. So I'd say a 1.3 ct. AVC would look roughly like a 1 ct. rb. I probably would not sell the 5 stone band. I'd probably save for an AVC and get it for a future anniversary or something.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe get a cz version and test it out and see if you miss the 5 stone?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you could break out your old solitaire and test drive the idea? Maybe you could get an AVC and find a smaller 5 stone antique band to stack with it? There are some lovely antique 5 stones out there. I'm like Enerchi and like to have a little of everything. (So I'll probably never have a really big one of anything!)

That being said, I probably wouldn't get rid of the finger coverage of a 5 stone unless you could find something else to take it's place. I don't know that a solitaire on it's own would.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sold my blingy diamond band and got an 8mm OEC and don't miss the blingy band look at all.

But when I had the blingy band and owned a 6.2mm solitaire I much much preferred my blingy band ;))

So I would only sell the band if you can hit the 7.5mm+ mark. If not, then I'd either try to keep the band and get the solitaire, or consider a three stone or halo!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
If you want bling factor the five stone will out shine a solitaire that size. I would try a cz for a bit to see how you feel about it.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I know I probably shouldn't get rid of my 5 stone. If I could afford a 2ct stone, then I'd probably do it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1347754205|3268851 said:
I sold my blingy diamond band and got an 8mm OEC and don't miss the blingy band look at all.

But when I had the blingy band and owned a 6.2mm solitaire I much much preferred my blingy band ;))

So I would only sell the band if you can hit the 7.5mm+ mark. If not, then I'd either try to keep the band and get the solitaire, or consider a three stone or halo!
This exactly. I'm in the same boat as you. Sell my 5.6 eternity to fund a large old cut or not...? The thing is, the old cut would have to be at least 8mm for me not to miss my band. If I got rid of my band and got a smaller solitaire, I don't think I'd be happy because it wouldn't be nearly as much bling. 5 stones and eternities give a LOT of finger coverage over a solitaire (unless the solitaire is quite substantial).

I've been back and forth on selling my band many, many times and came so close to actually selling it a few months ago (had a very interested buyer via consignment and the price was good too) but I couldn't do it. The reason is the $ I made wouldn't be enough to pay for the loose stone- I'd still need $7K+ to get the stone I want. And I don't have $7k in fun $ right now.

For now, I decided to keep my eternity and maybe reset it in a platinum bezel setting with teeny tiny bezels + milgrain :love:

I also sat down and figured out how to save the $ I need for the upgrade. It means re-prioritizing my fun $ and XMAS, anniversary, bday gifts etc. I spend a LOT of $ on clothes, purses, shoes and other "crap" I really don't need- $350 in MAC makeup that's still in my make up case totally untouched a year later?? Silly. Had to attend DH's HS friend's wedding so had to go buy a new dress and shoes. $300 Anthro dress and $300 Stuart Weitzman shoes? Cute? Yes. Totally unnecessary? Yes. Could have found something for much less? Yes. I just looked at my purse/shoe/clothes collection the other day and realized I could have purchased my upgrade if I hadn't gotten so much stuff over the past 3 years. It's ridiculous.

My advice would be sell it if you can get a large enough stone to make you not miss the bling of your band. If you can't, devise a plan to save for the AVC/cushion you really want. I was shocked when I totaled the amount I spend on unnecessary things- starbucks, clothes I don't really love and don't wear, mini bling projects that I don't absolutely love or need, wasted $ at the grocery on stuff I don't eat etc.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
LALove|1347803582|3269057 said:
... I also sat down and figured out how to save the $ I need for the upgrade. It means re-prioritizing my fun $ and XMAS, anniversary, bday gifts etc. I spend a LOT of $ on clothes, purses, shoes and other "crap" I really don't need- $350 in MAC makeup that's still in my make up case totally untouched a year later?? Silly. Had to attend DH's HS friend's wedding so had to go buy a new dress and shoes. $300 Anthro dress and $300 Stuart Weitzman shoes? Cute? Yes. Totally unnecessary? Yes. Could have found something for much less? Yes. I just looked at my purse/shoe/clothes collection the other day and realized I could have purchased my upgrade if I hadn't gotten so much stuff over the past 3 years. It's ridiculous ...
I was shocked when I totaled the amount I spend on unnecessary things- starbucks, clothes I don't really love and don't wear, mini bling projects that I don't absolutely love or need, wasted $ at the grocery on stuff I don't eat etc.

This. A thousand times this.
We have decided to take a big trip next year, so my upgrade from 1ct to 2ct got nixed. However, I'm sure that we could still afford it if I hadn't nickel and dimed myself on lattes from starbucks instead of making it at home in my to go cup; Chanel nail polish instead of revlon; menu planning instead of random grocery purchases; takeout instead of cooking at home; cranking the A/C instead of enjoying a little summer heat, etc.

That being said, I do not regret a single book or purse purchase I've made this year. One cannot become a complete ascetic. :lol:

I think you should wear your solitaire for a bit. Or get the CZ mockup.
I have a three stone e-ring, and when I try on 1ct solitaires (for fun at the jewelry store, as one does) they look nice, but small, because I'm used to more finger coverage. I agree with the others that you would have to get a bigger solitaire to make you not miss that beautiful five stone.
Or, you could get the 1ct solitaire and a small pointer half eternity to bling it up.

I dearly love AVC's, and am now saving up for a big one myself. This may take a while since I cannot bear to sell any jewelry (or purses!) so I guess no more lattes out for us!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
RE saving for an AVC:

I'd sit down and make a list of all the things you spend $ on (besides fixed household bills)- go through CC bills, Amazon account etc and list out things you've bought over the past year and how much you spent in each area. I did that and it was eye opening! Then figure out if it was worth it or not and if not how you can cut back.

$600+ on books for DS because he LOVES books and doesn't like to read the same ones over and over. $600 on baby books! That's nuts! I decided to start going to the local library so he can get new books each week- for FREE!

$200 on Chanel nail polishes! That's only 10 bottles and they don't last longer than cheaper brands and most of the colors can be found in cheaper brands too!

Too much to even add up on eating out with friends when if I'd planned ahead we could have saved a lot by having dinner parties at home.

$2500 on clothes for DS. Crazy when he only wears one set for a few months and a lot of the clothes get ruined at school. I got most of his fall/winter wardrobe on sale this year or at H&M and just bought a few nicer pieces.

$300-$400 a week on groceries I get at Whole Foods when I can get most of the stuff at Kroger for much less.

I found that when I use a CC (which we pay off each month) I buy stuff without realizing how much I'm actually spending- it all adds up so fast.

Like my trips to Target to get one small item and I ending up with a cart of junk.

MY GF only uses cash. For everything. That way she knows she has "X" amount to spend at whatever store or for the week. It really helps keep her on budget. I find shelling out cash for something rather than handing over a card really makes you stop for a minute and think about what you're buying.

I know I can get my upgrade if I chill out on spending $ in other areas and become a little frugal.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! I already don't spend much money so there isn't much to cut back. In fact, DH keeps telling me that I need to buy myself things once in a while. Unfortunately a 2ct diamond doesn't fall into that. :rolleyes:

Why do diamonds have to be so darn expensive???? ;(

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto DD's post.

I wouldn't go from a 5 stone to a sub 7mm because it's a huge bling reduction...I'd only do it if you could go big.

That said, why not try to look for a truly old cushion at one of the old cut vendors? You could probably get more bang for your buck that way. I'd look into all the 'options'.

You could also buy or build an true old cut 5 stone with cushions, now that would be fantastic!!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Obviously you are interested in a change. I think a three stone with a larger center would be great! Five 30 pointers look a lot different than, say, a .80ct with two .40s, but the horizontal coverage is actually similar. And the faceting would be totally different.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Mara|1347832305|3269236 said:
ditto DD's post.

I wouldn't go from a 5 stone to a sub 7mm because it's a huge bling reduction...I'd only do it if you could go big.

That said, why not try to look for a truly old cushion at one of the old cut vendors? You could probably get more bang for your buck that way. I'd look into all the 'options'.

You could also buy or build an true old cut 5 stone with cushions, now that would be fantastic!!

Thanks Mara! That is the consensus and I guess I sort of knew that deep down, but I was hoping that I was wrong.

Where should I look for an old cushion? I'm all about more "bang for my buck"!! I would love if I could go big!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1347843059|3269340 said:
Obviously you are interested in a change. I think a three stone with a larger center would be great! Five 30 pointers look a lot different than, say, a .80ct with two .40s, but the horizontal coverage is actually similar. And the faceting would be totally different.

Yes, I am considering a change, but I just don't know which way to go. I have thought about a 3 stone, but I wonder about how the faceting of those size stones would be affected? Would I be able to appreciate it them as much?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She may have been talking about a rb 3 stone. I still wouldn't do one with stones that small. One carat would be the smallest center I would consider for a three stone and the look won't be all that different from your 5 stone. You will lose money selling the ring you have, so I wouldn't sell it unless you just don't like it anymore. You can get an antique OEC for a lot less than a branded stone. But I honestly rarely see an antique cushion that is well cut enough for me to consider. I am sure I'd get an AVC for a cushion. But since I am used to wearing a 1.5 ct. round, I can tell I need at least a 2 ct. cushion to have a similar size appearance.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347883648|3269538 said:
She may have been talking about a rb 3 stone. I still wouldn't do one with stones that small. One carat would be the smallest center I would consider for a three stone and the look won't be all that different from your 5 stone. You will lose money selling the ring you have, so I wouldn't sell it unless you just don't like it anymore. You can get an antique OEC for a lot less than a branded stone. But I honestly rarely see an antique cushion that is well cut enough for me to consider. I am sure I'd get an AVC for a cushion. But since I am used to wearing a 1.5 ct. round, I can tell I need at least a 2 ct. cushion to have a similar size appearance.

As much as I would LOVE a 2 carat diamond, which I always have, I won't ever be able to afford one, unless I win the lottery. :(sad

As for a RB 3 stone, I already have one that I won in Las Vegas from a slot machine so I don't want two of the same cut stones. I was really interested in the AVC because it's different than anything around here, and I am getting tired of round diamonds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, then if you already have a 3 stone ring, I wouldn't want another. What about selling that one and keeping the 5 stone? Or save some money and then sell both other rings to get a 1.5-1.9 ct. AVC? If you can go lower in color, you can get them for a good price. That 1.91 M I was looking at was around $12k. But I will tell you, unless you set it in a halo, it won't have the bling factor as an ideal cut rb 5 stone ring.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn't bring myself to sell my 3 stone....it's a piece that I will never give up. Plus, it's not huge...the center diamond is about 1/3ct so I wouldn't get much money for it anyway.

How was the color on the M? My RB is an M, but is not cut well so I'm wondering if the AVC M would appear a bit whiter than mine? Even so, I think 12K is a bit over budget, even if I sold my 5 stone. Although, it would be VERY tempting but I don't think DH would go for that....at least for a long while.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked at your thread with the two AVCs...the M is the elongated one? Yummy!! D@mn. Wanna lend me 12k? :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
orbaya|1347885622|3269553 said:
I just looked at your thread with the two AVCs...the M is the elongated one? Yummy!! D@mn. Wanna lend me 12k? :naughty:

That stone is absolutely gorgeous! Everything about the shape and cut is really beautiful. It is exactly what I'd want other than the fact it is so pretty that I'd like to enlarge it a little! I wish I had an extra $12K! But I need to sell my 1.5 G VS1 before I can buy anything else!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think any diamond larger than 4.3mm will look substantially different than the five stone you have because the faceting changes completely when you increase size at all.

What woud your budget be assuming you did sell your five stone? Let me think about options.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1347891084|3269579 said:
I think any diamond larger than 4.3mm will look substantially different than the five stone you have because the faceting changes completely when you increase size at all.

What woud your budget be assuming you did sell your five stone? Let me think about options.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but each of my diamonds in my band are .33cts each, which is very similar to 4.3mm I believe.

As for budget, it would depend on how much I could sell my 5 stone for, plus what amount I could get out of DH :naughty: I have a minimum price in mind for my band and won't sell for below that. If I could have a budget of about $6000 MAX that would be good. From what I understand the AVCs are upgradable.

Even DH agrees that I would need a 2 carat stone to have the blingy look of my 5 stone. Unfortunately, he doesn't agree with the price. If I could get my hands on the M that DS mentioned above for 12k............ ;(

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
orbaya|1347893134|3269600 said:
Dreamer_D|1347891084|3269579 said:

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but each of my diamonds in my band are .33cts each, which is very similar to 4.3mm I believe.

As for budget, it would depend on how much I could sell my 5 stone for, plus what amount I could get out of DH :naughty: I have a minimum price in mind for my band and won't sell for below that. If I could have a budget of about $6000 MAX that would be good. From what I understand the AVCs are upgradable.

Even DH agrees that I would need a 2 carat stone to have the blingy look of my 5 stone. Unfortunately, he doesn't agree with the price. If I could get my hands on the M that DS mentioned above for 12k............ ;(

Yes, I think you misunderstood :)) I know your current diamonds are each 4.3mm and I am saying that ANY style of cut you get that is, say, over 5mm will look very different optically than your current diamonds look. I think a three stone with any style of cut with a 6mm center and 5mm sides will be a very different look optically than your five stone.

As usual, wants exceed budget. It is the story of my life too ;)) I do think for your budget depending how flexible you are on cut and price you could get into the 7mm center and 4mm sides range for a three stone, which would be uber blingy and different. not in branded cuts, though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
orbaya|1347885138|3269547 said:
I couldn't bring myself to sell my 3 stone....it's a piece that I will never give up. Plus, it's not huge...the center diamond is about 1/3ct so I wouldn't get much money for it anyway.

How was the color on the M? My RB is an M, but is not cut well so I'm wondering if the AVC M would appear a bit whiter than mine? Even so, I think 12K is a bit over budget, even if I sold my 5 stone. Although, it would be VERY tempting but I don't think DH would go for that....at least for a long while.

I missed this question. I'd take the M in a minute especially if setting in a halo. It is more of a light champagne color rather than white, but I think it is beautiful in an antique stone with large facets.

I don't really think I'd want two 3 stone rings even if the sizes of the stones are different.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results