shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy? An I1 for my matching stud?? Help please...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PSers,

Now I need help with the numbers on this stone. Am I crazy to consider an I1? Could it be ok for a stud?

As some may know, I am looking for my first pair of studs. I was originally considering getting a matching pair of 1.6ctw at whiteflash. Today I went to my jeweler and really focused and tried on different sizes. No question about it. 1.6 ctw is NOT gonna cut it. They just did not have the presence that I want. I tried on 1.15 and 1.16. Much better!! So I narrowed it down to matching my original ering stone, an 1.11 carat, F, VS1, 6.79mm.

I thought before I did actual IRL comparisons I would be ok with matching a smaller stud, around 6.5mm to my 6.79mm. I thought that as long as I got over a carat, I would be ok with the stone. Turns out, I really did NOT like the sizes not matching. So I have to go up in size. I also have a budget constraint. All of a sudden, this past week, I decided I did not want to spend that much money. Am I crazy?? I'm on PS and I don't want to spend money?!?! I wanted to keep the whole shebang to be under $6K.

Anyhoo...my jeweler showed me a GIA certified 1.15 carat, E color, but an I1 and very good cut. The thing was soooooo sparkly!!! Soooo many colors!! For real?? I1?? I could see the cloud with my eyes at 6 inches, but not at 12 inches. I couldn't resist. I plugged the numbers into the HCA, just to see. 1.4. Really?? Not even a triple X. I know you guys will probably kill the numbers on this stone. And the size just matched mine perfectly, 6.76 x 6.82. I loved the color, and I am more concerned about matching color and size. And the price? $4900. Is that a rip off?

These are pics of D colored, 1.15 and 1.16, just to see how it looks on me. I really love the brightness. I am definitely getting at least a carat each. Even the 1 carats seem small. OMG.

image_1515.jpg

image_1516.jpg

image_1517.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get it to turn.
image_1518.jpg

And, I can get it all, diamond, setting (platinum), tax (too bad) for under $6K. Talk me down people. Should I consider an I1 for a stud? I looked at GOG, whiteflash, BGD and even BN, and everything over 1.1 carats at a higher color was at least $6K. And my jeweler has an upgrade policy, anything higher in price. I'm very tempted.

Ok, here goes...submit...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Am I crazy? An I1 for my matching stud?? Help please..

I would go for J-K's.

Honesty on your ears NO ONE will be able to tell they don't match. You can't see the sides of the diamond on the ears.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1396676710|3647751 said:
I would go for J-K's.

Honesty on your ears NO ONE will be able to tell they don't match. You can't see the sides of the diamond on the ears.

Gypsy, I am sure you are right. No one can tell. I will be uncomfortable KNOWING that they are that much different in size. Like how I wanted a higher clarity on my ering stone. Of course I can't see it with my eyes, and I can barely find it with a loupe. It just nags at me mentally.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds like it is not mind clean enough for you--I would pass.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mom2boys|1396678634|3647755 said:
Sounds like it is not mind clean enough for you--I would pass.

mom2boys, strangely enought it's actually the opposite. I am ok with the clarity (given the color and price and size). But I wonder if people as a rule do not consider I clarity stones for studs. Like it that just too low?

What is weird is that as much as I have loved everything I have learned on PS, I still end up leaning toward the things I liked before I learned about PS. My eyes get drawn to high colors. **sigh** At least at some point if I want to upgrade I can.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, if you are okay w/ the clarity, then you may want to consider it. :)) I know that I loupe my earrings on a regular basis to make sure they are sparkly clean and intact so it would not be mind clean enough for me, but that's just me! Just make sure you buy inexpensive settings if you plan on possibly upgrading it in the future. Or you can wait and see what else your jeweler comes across in the meantime.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok how about H's? Two color grades is very hard to see the difference. I would try to do eyeclean H SI2 is you can.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would wait until I had the money to match it to my original stone?

After reading your other posts, would this affect your ring setting project?

If you have the money, but don't want to spend, then you have a reason, but take your
time to find out what that is and what you really want longterm. Of course it is your decision. :!:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

I'd take size and color over clarity. I have an I1 that is set in a ring. People can see color, cut, size, but have to scrutinize it for clarity. To me, an earring is perfect use for a well cut I1. Just how much time do you spend staring at your own earrings? Probably not much. And few other people will be 6" from your ear and have enough time to study the stone. I'd buy it, get the earrings made, and be done with it. I would not go down in color to I or J. I wouldn't spend another $1000 or $2000 on the project to get a cleaner stone, either.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Why not? There are really great I1 stones and they can be a bargain. I am too strict if anything when it comes to grading clarity and I do like VS stones I have to admit and never thought I would consider SI let alone I1 but then came the time when I have seen some amazing I1 stones and it all changed. As long as the inclusions do not affect the integrity of the stone and honestly in your ears they really would not be subjected to damage, I think that some of these stones can have such character and the best kind of inclusions are clouds like you are describing. Cut can be very important and color when you get an I1. I disagree with people suggesting a lower color grade; I generally want cut and color as they are visually much more important in my opinion (and most people in the trade have recommended the same to me). I tend to go for E-F (in rare cases G-H) and a high white I1 can be wonderful. You have to decide but it sounds to me like you love the stone-. P.S.: not to say lower color grades cannot be fine; my original E-ring is a J-K (as per colorimeter, otherwise graded J) but now I would not go so low; either high white or fancy. We are different but what it comes down to is what pleases you and as long as it is reasonable it does not matter what others think; I am sure IRL the earrings will be TDF, if you do it please share pix!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJ's mom - I owned a E I1 stone once. It was gorgeous. It was also eye clean (yes, it is possible!) I ended up selling it because I wanted something bigger, but it was a stunning stone and would have been almost TOO good for an earring.

So all that to say, if you've found a size and color you like, and the clarity stats don't bother you (and they wouldn't bother me either on an earring), why on earth wouldn't you go for it? You can see it's a great deal and you love it. Good enough in my book!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock

I don't think you are crazy at all! If you love it, go for it. I totally agree with some of the others, cut/high colour most important.

For studs an I1 is great if you find a good one. My jeweller has FI1's, a carat each and they are gorgeous and lets face it, she could have whatever she wants. I know what you mean about size a carat in each ear is very nice. I am still yet to organise my studs, I have one stone but not the other, better get onto it.

Good luck with your shopping, all good fun :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1396682329|3647770 said:
Ok how about H's? Two color grades is very hard to see the difference. I would try to do eyeclean H SI2 is you can.

Actually, an H SI2 is exactly what I was considering right before I saw this stone. The H SI2 was $6600ish at GOG. I wonder if from a reselling stand point it would be better to get the H SI2. But then the jeweler (you prob know the one Ike talking about) has a great upgrade policy so I don't really think I would be worried about that aspect if it. Honestly, the price difference of $1700 makes a difference when I know I'm getting a color I prefer more but not a clarity. I feel like emotionally I can give up clarity for matching color and size. The GOG stone was .15 mm smaller than mine. But I don't know if I'm high off the idea of getting an E stone in the same size as mine and not thinking clearly.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TC1987|1396696582|3647812 said:
I'd take size and color over clarity. I have an I1 that is set in a ring. People can see color, cut, size, but have to scrutinize it for clarity. To me, an earring is perfect use for a well cut I1. Just how much time do you spend staring at your own earrings? Probably not much. And few other people will be 6" from your ear and have enough time to study the stone. I'd buy it, get the earrings made, and be done with it. I would not go down in color to I or J. I wouldn't spend another $1000 or $2000 on the project to get a cleaner stone, either.

Very good point TC! I won't be spending time staring at my own ear. Hilarious but soooo true. I do also agree that if I bought it, it would be hard for me to change it and go down in color to go up in clarity. I would love to "be done with it". But patience has never been a virtue of mine. Bad girl... I'm going to take the weekend to think about it. Make my myself!!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you can't see the inclusion and size/color are higher priorities, go for it.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'd have no problem with an I1 for a stud if it's a great stone otherwise. I don't personally scrutinize my earrings all that much though.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OVincze|1396697472|3647819 said:
Why not? There are really great I1 stones and they can be a bargain. I am too strict if anything when it comes to grading clarity and I do like VS stones I have to admit and never thought I would consider SI let alone I1 but then came the time when I have seen some amazing I1 stones and it all changed. As long as the inclusions do not affect the integrity of the stone and honestly in your ears they really would not be subjected to damage, I think that some of these stones can have such character and the best kind of inclusions are clouds like you are describing. Cut can be very important and color when you get an I1. I disagree with people suggesting a lower color grade; I generally want cut and color as they are visually much more important in my opinion (and most people in the trade have recommended the same to me). I tend to go for E-F (in rare cases G-H) and a high white I1 can be wonderful. You have to decide but it sounds to me like you love the stone-. P.S.: not to say lower color grades cannot be fine; my original E-ring is a J-K (as per colorimeter, otherwise graded J) but now I would not go so low; either high white or fancy. We are different but what it comes down to is what pleases you and as long as it is reasonable it does not matter what others think; I am sure IRL the earrings will be TDF, if you do it please share pix!

OVincze, wow thanks for pointing out whether the inclusions jeopardize the integrity of the stone. Never occurred to me. Ok let me try to post a better pic of the GIA report. That other one got cut off. I'm happy to meet someone who loves higher colors too. I have been wondering what is wrong with me that I just seem to gravitate toward these stones.

Thanks for confirming my gut reaction about cut and color with regard to an I1. And I'm no cut expert. In fact, I'm sure the angles and numbers on this stone fall way out the acceptable range for most PSERS. But it really did sparkle. I walked all around the room with it, practically crawled under the counter to see it in the dark. Sucker glowed. The sales person kept asking me what the HCA said as I plugged it in. She did not think it possible (1 .4) with a Very Good cut. I'm happy to hear that others have seen beautiful and sparkly I1s.

I have a question with regard to pricing. When a clarity goes down to I1, in general does the price get marked down extra low b/c I1s may not be acceptable to most people? I'm just wondering what people in the industry have seen. Is it nearly impossible to sell an I1? I also don't want to be the only sucker on the block, ykwim? In your experience, does that drop in price seem in line with that clarity?

image_1520.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-blop|1396701729|3647850 said:
LLJ's mom - I owned a E I1 stone once. It was gorgeous. It was also eye clean (yes, it is possible!) I ended up selling it because I wanted something bigger, but it was a stunning stone and would have been almost TOO good for an earring.

So all that to say, if you've found a size and color you like, and the clarity stats don't bother you (and they wouldn't bother me either on an earring), why on earth wouldn't you go for it? You can see it's a great deal and you love it. Good enough in my book!

Mrs blop, you've owned one?!?! And you liked it? That is so encouraging. Thanks for sharing. God, I don't feel like such an idiot for liking this stone. As for deal part, I don't want to get too excited b/c what if it's not reasonable price for an I1? I don't really have anything to compare it to. The lowest I've seen are SI2s.

Admittedly it's kinda embarrassing to ask on PS if anyone would buy an I1 when everyo e talks as out eye clean. Uh, I can see the inclusion... Lol! And I'm the one who bought a VS1 for my ering. But I am thinking nobody would following my head around looking for inclusions on my stud.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Monnyjay|1396704518|3647863 said:
I don't think you are crazy at all! If you love it, go for it. I totally agree with some of the others, cut/high colour most important.

For studs an I1 is great if you find a good one. My jeweller has FI1's, a carat each and they are gorgeous and lets face it, she could have whatever she wants. I know what you mean about size a carat in each ear is very nice. I am still yet to organise my studs, I have one stone but not the other, better get onto it.

Good luck with your shopping, all good fun :wavey:

Monnyjay, your jeweler has one!! Really?!?! Ok, feeling g less stupid by the post. Thanks for sharing. :). :) hope I get to see your set soon too!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster|1396706351|3647873 said:
If you can't see the inclusion and size/color are higher priorities, go for it.

Hi baby, thanks. You can't see it if I'm moving. But if I hold still and you stare at it from 6 inches you can see the cloud. But surprisingly I did discover the color and size are my priority. I thought it would clarity and color for my studs. Maybe PS has changed me some. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1396690399|3647790 said:

If you have the money, but don't want to spend, then you have a reason, but take your
time to find out what that is and what you really want longterm. Of course it is your decision. :!:

Pyramid Since I have put my reset on hold, I can see better what I don't like about my current setting. My center stone has medium blue fluor. My side stones do not. When I see it in certain light I can see the difference in color. I don't really like that. Then I realized that if I set any other non-fluor stones next to it I would see it. I also keep going back to look at solitaire four prong double claw settings. I think that I the end that may be what I will go with. I will give it more time. It's interesting what you see when you don't feel the pressure to make a decision.

Secondly I do not want to spend the extra money right now, which is weird but true. How did I get so thrifty all of a sudden? :roll: the feeling started on Monday. I was thinking about going down in size to 1.0ctw. And that idea went out the window after trying on 1.6 ctw and finding that WAY too small. There is no way I would ever try to match all aspects of my original ering stone. Too pricey for a VS1, F, 1.11 carat and no fluor. I wouldn't spend that much on a matching stud. I am very impatient to get a matching stud. Yes, I will try to calm down, and not go out and buy it today. :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

alene|1396707770|3647882 said:
I'd have no problem with an I1 for a stud if it's a great stone otherwise. I don't personally scrutinize my earrings all that much though.

Hi alene, thanks, another reminder of the practical aspect that no one scrutinizes a stud that carefully. Even I can't even if I wanted to. I'd be wearing it. :lol: To be honest, never in a million years would I have considered it on paper. Did you see that report?? Like another poster has said, it looks like a murder scene!! :lol: But IRL, wow, super bright and sparkly. And did I mention that I am now wearing MULTIFOCAL contact lenses? Well, without my contacts, it would be "naked eye clean" for me. ;-)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Who is gonna stand 6 inches from your ear and stare at the earring? I would go for it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I took a look on BN and found this stone as closest to your budget, specs and color, all things balanced out and considered.

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?first_step=diamond&forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&track=NavEngStartWithDia#diamonds_forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP|builder=BYOR|pid=LD04081921

Not suggesting that this is the way you should go, but just letting you know what's out there with slightly better specs, cut-wise. it also pulls you back to the SI2 range and I think a G is close enough that even you couldn't tell the difference.

Just for your reference.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Mrs. Blop. Thanks for that find. Yeah. This one does pull you away from the "I" edge. Thanks for checking for me. I bet it's a nice stone. 1.6 HCA at least.

But I am surprised that going down two colors, but up one in clarity increases the price by $1486. Are I1s that undesirable that they have to be priced that low? I would certainly never get that for an ering, but for other purposes...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I always remind myself of the saying, 'if in doubt do nowt'

I have something the same going on now, and need to stand back and see what I want as it goes one day fr.om wanting
it then another to not.

I am also all of a sudden thinking I don't want to spend the money.

My dilemma is a right-hand three stone ring. I remember when I got my solitaire thinking that would do as a three stone centre
would be smaller so get the 1 carat solitaire instead. Now I want the three stone though, but not a 1 carat centre. Which is
exactly what I was choosing between so don't know why I think I should have both now.

I had been looking a few months ago at Aldeweys, Diandandi, and logan sapphires rings which I liked. Especially the centre stone
size of 80 points of the last two (before logan sapphire upgraded). Now I have small short hand quite wide and started thinking that
may be too big for me. I also have a thing about liking all the stones to face the front and not curve down the sizes which I thought it
would. So I thought decrease to a 50 point centre. But then the three stone ring I already have for my right hand has a 30 point centre so is it worth it for 20 points? That ring I bought from ebay so in a way I want one which is just my own from the beginning.

Was looking at a photo of someones engagement ring last night, a young person with three stones, smaller than mine maybe third carat total and realised this is really a very mini look to the 80 point centre one and maybe I don't mind stones curving down the sides now instead of all three on the straight :) So back to wanting it again. Then think today, I was supposed to be finished diamond shopping, for a while anyway and in some ways I don't want to spend the money. Just like you :twirl: Also the right hand ring
in the uk is usually not an engagement ring size so may look over the top and on my small hand finger size too.
So think I need more time, but this has been months already, so maybe I don't really really want it :confused: :errrr: :lol:

LLJsmom|1396718144|3647952 said:

Pyramid Since I have put my reset on hold, I can see better what I don't like about my current setting. My center stone has medium blue fluor. My side stones do not. When I see it in certain light I can see the difference in color. I don't really like that. Then I realized that if I set any other non-fluor stones next to it I would see it. I also keep going back to look at solitaire four prong double claw settings. I think that I the end that may be what I will go with. I will give it more time. It's interesting what you see when you don't feel the pressure to make a decision.
Secondly I do not want to spend the extra money right now, which is weird but true. How did I get so thrifty all of a sudden? :roll: the feeling started on Monday. I was thinking about going down in size to 1.0ctw. And that idea went out the window after trying on 1.6 ctw and finding that WAY too small. There is no way I would ever try to match all aspects of my original ering stone. Too pricey for a VS1, F, 1.11 carat and no fluor. I wouldn't spend that much on a matching stud. I am very impatient to get a matching stud. Yes, I will try to calm down, and not go out and buy it today. :lol:[/quo

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1396725997|3648007 said:
I always remind myself of the saying, 'if in doubt do nowt'

I have something the same going on now, and need to stand back and see what I want as it goes one day fr.om wanting
it then another to not.

I am also all of a sudden thinking I don't want to spend the money.

My dilemma is a right-hand three stone ring. I remember when I got my solitaire thinking that would do as a three stone centre
would be smaller so get the 1 carat solitaire instead. Now I want the three stone though, but not a 1 carat centre. Which is
exactly what I was choosing between so don't know why I think I should have both now.

I had been looking a few months ago at Aldeweys, Diandandi, and logan sapphires rings which I liked. Especially the centre stone
size of 80 points of the last two (before logan sapphire upgraded). Now I have small short hand quite wide and started thinking that
may be too big for me. I also have a thing about liking all the stones to face the front and not curve down the sizes which I thought it
would. So I thought decrease to a 50 point centre. But then the three stone ring I already have for my right hand has a 30 point centre so is it worth it for 20 points? That ring I bought from ebay so in a way I want one which is just my own from the beginning.

Was looking at a photo of someones engagement ring last night, a young person with three stones, smaller than mine maybe third carat total and realised this is really a very mini look to the 80 point centre one and maybe I don't mind stones curving down the sides now instead of all three on the straight :) So back to wanting it again. Then think today, I was supposed to be finished diamond shopping, for a while anyway and in some ways I don't want to spend the money. Just like you :twirl: Also the right hand ring
in the uk is usually not an engagement ring size so may look over the top and on my small hand finger size too.
So think I need more time, but this has been months already, so maybe I don't really really want it :confused: :errrr: :lol:

LLJsmom|1396718144|3647952 said:

Secondly I do not want to spend the extra money right now, which is weird but true. How did I get so thrifty all of a sudden? :roll: the feeling started on Monday. I was thinking about going down in size to 1.0ctw. And that idea went out the window after trying on 1.6 ctw and finding that WAY too small. There is no way I would ever try to match all aspects of my original ering stone. Too pricey for a VS1, F, 1.11 carat and no fluor. I wouldn't spend that much on a matching stud. I am very impatient to get a matching stud. Yes, I will try to calm down, and not go out and buy it today. :lol:[/quo

Pyramid, I feel you. Why do we change our minds so quickly and so often. I am discovering the process of elimination is one of the best ways for ME to figure out what I want. I figure out what I don't want. I am glad to have eliminated 1.6 ctw from consideration. I can't explain why it looks small to me now b/c it didn't a week ago, but that was just from a picture.

So now I focus on a matching, b/c I like that size. At this point, I can't fathom paying $6K-$7K for a stone. I don't know why. Well, probably cause I have a certain amount of expenses coming up that are non-negotiable. Will it bug me down the road that I have an I1? Maybe. Can't say for sure. It doesn't now. I guess it will depend on how I feel wearing the studs. I do have the option of paying extra to upgrade in the future, so I'm not completely boxed in.

I think I will go back and look at it today. I ran, so I'm calmer now. And I'll look at it again with my husband and see what he says. Of course he's supportive of what makes me happy.

Sorry, I went on and on. I don't know what to say about the three stone dilemma. I can see why you're wavering. It's always nice to do what you're sure of. All the options have the pros and cons. On a limited budget, we just do the best we can based on our priorities. :) In fact, I think that is what I am doing now...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I haven't read every word of every reply, but I1 clarity when it says "additional clouds not shown" for clarity is generally discouraged here because that can be a red flag that the stone's light performance may be affected by the low clarity. I think the biggest problem for me other than the potential affect on light performance is that you'd be pairing it with a VS1. So you'd have one really high quality stone overall paired with an I1. I think you could go to G color at the lowest to match yours, and I wouldn't go below SI1 to put with a VS1. Of course, if you can upgrade the stone at any point in time, I don't guess it matters if you try it now. But with diamond prices going up, I would probably spend a little more now and get a forever stone.

I am glad you decided to go for a carat+. That is what I thought would be best when you first posted!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1396729092|3648029 said:
I haven't read every word of every reply, but I1 clarity when it says "additional clouds not shown" for clarity is generally discouraged here because that can be a red flag that the stone's light performance may be affected by the low clarity. I think the biggest problem for me other than the potential affect on light performance is that you'd be pairing it with a VS1. So you'd have one really high quality stone overall paired with an I1. I think you could go to G color at the lowest to match yours, and I wouldn't go below SI1 to put with a VS1. Of course, if you can upgrade the stone at any point in time, I don't guess it matters if you try it now. But with diamond prices going up, I would probably spend a little more now and get a forever stone.

I am glad you decided to go for a carat+. That is what I thought would be best when you first posted!

DS, your words always give me reason to pause. True. The pairing is off. But if were to wait to get a G SI1, that's would potentially be an end of year project, or longer. Hmmmm... maybe I wait...

Although you all were right about that 1+ carat thing. I don't know how it happened. Under 1 was fine, and then out of the blue it wasn't. I don't think it was DSS. I just preferred bigger.

I think in my mind, I am thinking (I might be wrong.) that this stone is a good deal for what I am getting. It meets most of the criteria. And it's kinda like a test run stone. If I can live with it, meaning that the I1 does not bother me, then I've scored with a great deal that took care of my stud dilemma. I don't see myself upgrading cause bigger would just be too much for my work place. I am actually more paranoid about over-bling at the workplace with studs than with my e-ring. This potentially could be forever and done. If I need more mind clean, than I look for an SI2, and go down in color. I know I maybe taking a chance with this stone. But I don't want to be short sighted either...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby|1396724501|3647987 said:
Who is gonna stand 6 inches from your ear and stare at the earring? I would go for it!

I know, right?? Definitely in the pros column...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results