shape
carat
color
clarity

Allergies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
I would like to have Platinum due to is hypoallergenic properties because I have sensitive skin. But I think WG is more along the lines of what BF would be able to afford. I''m a little worried about getting a WG ring and then discovering that I have an allergy to it. Other than going to a dermatologist and getting tested for various allergies what would be the best way to determine if I have allergies to WG before I am wearing an e-ring and then discovering that I''m allergic? I am able to wear yellow gold with no problems so would I most likely be able to wear WG also? And last one, I understand that most jewellers have different return policies but if I were to discover an allergy AFTER purchasing a ring would I be able to return it or exchange it easier than say if I just didn''t like it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little crazy idea: what about buying a small plain WG band and wearing it 24/7 for a few weeks to see if there''s any reaction?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
You could look into palladium also, it''s hypo-allergenic like platinum but the cost is similar to WG.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
If you have the time, I would suggest purchasing a simple plain WG wedding band and wearing it for a while. Plain bands are not that expensive, and you could always wear it later when doing activities where you might not want to wear a delicate wedding and engagement ring. This is not a for sure method, because allergies could take a while to develop.

Yellow gold generally does not cause allergic reactions. White gold has a different mix of metals which causes the problem. So, getting your engagement ring in yellow gold would be a solution.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I have this same problem with white gold but it is my preference over anything else. My first wedding set was yellow gold and it is safe with no problems. I now have a white gold set and haven''t had problem at all but I make sure that I have the rodium plating redone when it starts to wear off just incase. White gold often has nickel in it and that is what causes the allergy. If you have yellow gold why not get yellow to match all of your other jewerly??? My set was purchased in 18k because we were told that it is better and can have less of an allergy effect then 10k or 14k. I would take the advice of Chrono and purchase a cheap white gold band and wear it to see if it bothers you. If not then you should be ok but make sure that you wear it enough to make sure! Good luck

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all. I will look into a white gold band. I may even look to see if I can find an inexpensive WG ring with a stone or a design.

As for getting a yellow gold set. I have a yellow gold ring that was my grandmother''s that she gave me and I have gold diamond studs that my parents bought me. I don''t like yellow gold that''s just what was bought or given to me so I wear it. I don''t like how it looks with my skin tone... it blends in too well for my tastes. WG stands out more.

I''m hoping to eventually get some WG diamond studs but I''m more focused on an ering at the moment
2.gif

mirre

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at some rings online to get ideas of what I might want to purchase and prices. When I realized I don''t think I''m allergic to WG because I just remembered that my senior ring from high school is WG and I wore it everyday for about a year or so and never had a reaction to it. So that''s good news. But made me a little sad that I really don''t need to purchase any WG bands to test out with. But after looking at some I''ve decided that as soon as I''m able I want to get a couple WG stackable bands. I really like the look of the WG with the pink sapphires so I may see about getting a couple of those or something.

36.gif

EstateJeweler

Rough_Rock
The reason people react to white gold and not yellow gold is that white gold is cut with Nickel. As a rule of thumb you can wear white gold if you can wear silver. If you have allergies to sterling silver you will most likely react to white gold. This is not in all cases but it''s a good guideline to follow.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Thanks EstateJeweller! I don''t have any reaction to silver.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would also suggest getting a tiny 2 mm white gold band, just to make sure.

I''ve never had a reaction to white gold, but I have had some yellowing issues in the past. I was hoping for platinum but DH could only afford white gold at the time, and I''ve had no yellowing whatsoever in almost 2 years of 24/7 wear.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lauren I will probably get a couple stacking rings in WG for a graduation present to myself. But the ring I have FINALLY settled on is made in Palladium so now I don''t have to worry about the WG allergies (as long as I can convince BF to by THAT ONE!) It would still be nice to know for sure. Because I''m sure I won''t be wanting to buy EVERYTHING in Platinum or Palladium. That''ll get pretty expensive.

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
I have trouble with nickel in pierced ears but I can wear silver on wrists (bracelets) and rings. Testing rings with a white told band is probably a good idea. Or even cheaper you could try silver which also has nickel. One caution - I believe that if you get 14K white gold, most of the time it''s rhodium plated and eventually the rhodium could wear off and you may have a problem with allergies. I''ve decided to stay away from white gold for earrings because of the nickel.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
White gold is alloyed with nickel most of the time. You are likely allergic to the nickel. Over time, this allergy will likely get more severe if you wear jewelry with nickel in it. My middle daughter has this issue and white gold does not work. My oldest daughter can wear white gold, but any other cheap earrings or costume earring jewelry does her in within 10 minutes.

This setting from whiteflash
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=ST4PW&CategID=13
is $195 in white gold and $495 in platinum.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Mirre~when are you getting your e-ring? I have a wg allergy in my ears, only! I had my studs reset in a palladium and wg setting and have had no problem since. I know you don''t want to take a chance with your ring, so buying some simple bands and testing them out, before getting your ring, does sound like a good idea.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure when I would get my ering. Hopefully soon but I guess that part''s really up to my BF.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results