shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS To Issue Cut Grade for EC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
AGS Labs to Release Emerald Cut Grade

(November 15, ''06, 3:26 IDEX Online Staff Reporter)

Beginning February 1, the American Gem Society Laboratories will begin issuing the Diamond Quality Document for the new AGS Performance-Based Cut Grade system for several shapes of the emerald cut. According to AGS, the industry’s first cut grade for the emerald cut.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is *great* news.

I depend on AGS cut grades to pick stones.
I trust AGS.

I''d like to get an asscher some day and with no HCA,or similar tool, I am am not confident in my ability to pick a well-cut asscher.
36.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I always get a charge out of seeing the AGS again annouce the "FIRST" industry cut grade of a particular shape. I know my AGA Cut Class grades are a good screening tool, not the latest and greatest predictive method from AGS. I wish the truth could be packaged better. The AGS product is an evolutionary event, not one happening in a vacuum where no one has gone before them. The AGA Cut Class grades have been in the public domain and in use since the early 90''s. If they were really problematic, we''d all have heard about how faulty they were by now. I haven''t heard much criticism in these many years.

If anyone in the industry really wanted to grade the light performance of emerald cuts we can directly measure their relative output by only utilizing about 100 emerald cut diamonds of differing levels of performance for setting up our lighting model. Its not a big accomplishment with the correct methodology. Doing cut grading based on AGS''s predictive modelling is a big job, full of problems and limitations. It may seem a major event, but it really shouldn''t be a big deal. Its only a big deal because so much effort and money is being wasted on doing it in a doubtful way. Sorry, but that''s the opposing viewpoint.

Glad to see consumers and the trade taking notice of cutting quality. There is progress being made and that is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results