shape
carat
color
clarity

Ags G si1 7.96mm ideal cut vs GIA G vs2 7.81mm ideal cut???

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
In bit of a pickle, maybe I'm overthinking things...
At the moment I'm struggling between getting a slightly bigger diamond by 0.15mm, with perhaps a lesser colour (ags G) vs a higher colour (Gia G) ...
Both are ideal hearts and arrows and have great aset pics. Both r they same price! The Gia g vs2 is slightly more expensive by 200 dollars..
The ags although slightly bigger is also si1 clarity but I hear ags is stricter on clarity than Gia.. But the Gia smaller diamond is vs2..
Is colour more important than clarity? In this case si1 doesn't affect optics and stone looks eye clean I'm told.
I was going to go for the bigger one until another dealer unrelated to either diamond retailers said that GIA r stricter on colour than ags.
Now what would u guys do? Is 0.15mm a big difference in size? To me, it does appear bigger side by side..
But I don't want a colour that's lower than a Gia G..
Initially I wanted an e-f so a Gia G is compromising.. And then now if ags grades more lenient.. I'm paranoid I'm going to end up with a Gia H :(((((((
Is it worth sacrificing a little size for slightly better colour? Will there be a colour difference between the two? I can't compare both in person...

Does ags still grade more lenient in colour and polish to GiA? I know they r great for cut.. But seeing as both the diamonds I'm considering have aset scope, the ags doesn't add more value in telling me the performance of the stone..

Thanks everyone for any advice u can give...

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Re: Ags G si1 7.96mm ideal cut vs GIA G vs2 7.81mm ideal cut

You'll hear lots of opinions about grading differences for color. Most trade folk on here dismiss the notion that AGS is more lenient. That's a whole separate discussion.

Do you have the numbers on them, or links to the reports? It's hard to say which would be better based just on what you posted. I'm not sure I'd reach a conclusion that an AGS G is worse than a GIA G for color just based on that floating concern mentioned above. For all we know the GIA is lower within that grade than the AGS stone.

If the SI1 is verified eye clean to your conditions, it's still worth considering for clarity. Cut matters most; that's why numbers and then images are important (Ideal-Scope and ASET). If you have those I'd post them.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. :read:

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

Hi sir guy! Thanks for the fast response :)
Actually the aset scopes for both are very similar.
And the clarity I guess is of no issue..
So what really is bugging me is the gamble I might be taking on the ags G over the Gia G.
The trade off would be a diamond that is 0.15mm bigger in width...
7.96mm ags G(Gia h??) or 7.81mm Gia G..
Would u go for a bigger diameter?
Does 0.15mm make such a difference or does whiteness?
I guess both would face up extremely white given their ideal h &a cut.. But it's just the body colour I worry about..
And getting an h when I want g..I like a bigger diamond tho..
Help'

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

Thanks for that:)) that was super useful:)))
There is a difference in size for sure...
And I wonder if u guys would go for slightly bigger siZe in exchange for potentially getting a lower G colour (ags)...
Or even H ...
I really want something that looks icy white but I guess given the super ideal h&a cut this shouldn't be a problem right?
I would set the stone in a six prong platinum ring...

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock

"Icy white" and "G looks pretty white to most folks" are different things to some people. Color grades are there for a reason; under controlled conditions with the stone unmounted and seen from the side, there is a noticeable and repeatedly observable difference.

Honestly, if you had a G and an H next to each other, you might be hard pressed to tell the difference if you're looking face up at stones already mounted. If they're both G, from reputable labs like AGS and GIA, I'd put money down that you might not be able to tell which is which with any measurable degree of consistency.

I'd go with whichever stone has a better ASET, size, and price to you, assuming they look the same to the eye. If one looks better to you with your own eyes, then it's easy: choose that one. :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you were initially looking at F color, then go for the GIA G color. I personally don't go below VS2 for a diamond ring, so that would be a factor for me in addition to the color issue. If someone says they are open to G-H color and don't care about the clarity, then I might say go for the larger one. But in your case, I'd go for the G VS2 to be safe.

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

Unfortunately guys, this definitely is a case of only slightly bigger size, 0.15mm vs potential gia H colour.... Perhaps I should call whiteflash to see if they can send me a photo of the body of the diamond? And get the other retailer to do the same? Against white background?
I'm buying sort of blind over the internet..I mean I've seen videos, actuals, asets, ideal scope... There's not much discernible different except for size and maybe slight nuances in colour.. I have no way of seeing until I have them in hand...

I think I'm going a bit crazy.......................

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

what is your ring size? 0.15mm is noticeable difference to me. I wear 6 - 6.25.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Frenchtoast|1407192244|3726038 said:
Hi sir guy! Thanks for the fast response :)
Actually the aset scopes for both are very similar.
And the clarity I guess is of no issue..
So what really is bugging me is the gamble I might be taking on the ags G over the Gia G.
The trade off would be a diamond that is 0.15mm bigger in width...
7.96mm ags G(Gia h??) or 7.81mm Gia G..
Would u go for a bigger diameter?
Does 0.15mm make such a difference or does whiteness?
I guess both would face up extremely white given their ideal h &a cut.. But it's just the body colour I worry about..
And getting an h when I want g..I like a bigger diamond tho..
Help'

The best thing you can do is this. Call WF concerning the one diamond and ask them to discuss the diamond with you and how the colour grade presents itself. They will be able to tell you whether the colour is a ' high' or 'low' G in their opinion, thus closer to F or closer to H. Size difference - will be negligible between the two stones anyway with such large diamonds. Then once you choose your stone, get it sent to an independent appraiser to verify the colour so you have peace of mind. Whiteflash will be honest with you and will help match you with the best diamond for your needs should you decide to work with them. Then ask the other vendor the same questions, plus post any images and proportions you have of each here, you don't need to link to the actual stones as you are still deciding, then we can advise on the cut quality. The G colour from WF is going to face up very white and it's unlikely you would notice any warmth from the side view too unless you are extremely colour sensitive ( rare).

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

Just want to say thanks again for everyone‘s input... really grateful.
here are the pics of the GIA G.... against an E...
what do u guys think? is it a true G? anyone with an AGS G or WF G care to comment on theirs in comparison? will ask WF for similar photos and come to a decision i guess.. but will be interesting to see what u guys make of it!

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

by the way, the WF asset pic is the one with black background and more bright..
the 1.81 is the one with the white halo..

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

i think i wear a US ring size 5? or 5 and half?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Frenchtoast|1407232505|3726328 said:
Just want to say thanks again for everyone‘s input... really grateful.
here are the pics of the GIA G.... against an E...
what do u guys think? is it a true G? anyone with an AGS G or WF G care to comment on theirs in comparison? will ask WF for similar photos and come to a decision i guess.. but will be interesting to see what u guys make of it!

You are welcome! I just wanted to add, no one offering responsible advice here is going to pass comment on the accuracy of colour grading from a photo on a computer monitor, even the expert gemologists wouldn't offer an opinion on this either because it would not be useful or accurate and we would not want to mislead you in any way.

The ASET image looks great, thumbs up!

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

So both aset scopes look equally good?:)

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Hi OP, to me the ASETs are comparatively the same and you'd not likely see any difference IRL. Fwiw, I bought an AGS report stone for the Platinum Light Performance cert. but had it appraised by Neil Beaty, a highly regarded PS appraiser located in CO, for a full work up. If that is an option for you, it definitely gave the peace of mind I needed for my purchase.

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

side_by_side_image_left-right_e__f__g.jpgside_by_side_image_left-right_e__f__g_2_0.jpg

hi everyone, this is the G on the far right compared to an E and F... from WF.. so AGS G...
does it look markedly more yellow?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We cannot judge colour accurately from a computer monitor from photographs unfortunately especially as consumer posters.

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

im aware its subjective.... but as a consumer or just looking at the two images... which one looks more yellow?
i personally feel i can see quite a yellow tinge on the G in the 3 stone pic.. which is the AGS graded one..:(
any thoughts? however subjective? or is there no discernible difference?

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock

I think what Lorelei is saying is that you cannot effectively or consistently gauge color from a computer screen. It has to be done in person.

As far as the E, F, and G you have pictured, there are a lot of variables for white balance, exposure, etc.

If you think a G looks more colored than an E, you'd probably be right. Why wouldn't you be? It's two grades lower; that's what you would expect. Although each grade has a range, within the median of each there is what's known mathematically as a LND (least noticeable difference). In an actual comparison, side by side, face down and unmounted, you should expect a difference between an E and a G.

You seem to be rather color sensitive. By that I don't mean your actual visual acuity to gauge color, but the degree to which it bothers you and affects your purchase.

You're considering two G stones. You expressed that it's possible that they differ in how they fall within the G range. One could be borderline F and one could be borderline H. The likelihood of one being two grades off when checked by the other lab is slim.

Your G will not magically be an E, or magically an I. It'll be a G or close to it.

If you want a stone that is "mind clean" for color, then go colorless. Aim for D or E. It'll affect your price if you keep the other C's the same. Everything is a compromise, but I get the feeling that color is important to you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"SirGuy|1407257116|3726518"]I think what Lorelei is saying is that you cannot effectively or consistently gauge color from a computer screen. It has to be done in person.

Thank you Sir, that's it exactly. Also computer monitors vary, you could get many varying opinions as to which stone looks warmer because of the differences in monitor calibration and so on, it's really no way to evaluate a diamond's colour or lack thereof. WF will be the best people to advise you, give them a call and have a chat about the stone, they are lovely people and will be pleased to discuss the stone with you and whether it will possibly please you. Equally, they won't be afraid to tell you if they think the colour grade in this case might not work for you, whether it is as previously mentioned a high or low G. Then if you decide to go with it, get an appraisal done during the approval period to give you peace of mind if you like the diamond.

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

you guys are so right.. i need to chill out.... toss a coin or something.. i guess i will not be able to tell too much face up.
im just slightly bothered by the idea of maybe ending up with an H or G-.
GIA D and E isn't an option right now.. and esp not in the cut i want... sure i could get a GIA triple ex and weed them out using hca but i can't be bothered and also, i would have to sacrifice in size. An F si1 would have been great but i haven't had any luck in finding one in the size and quality i would like.

i have called up WF and spoken to both brittany and sheerah who have been lovely and patient.. they assured me it was a true G and will face up very white.. i guess i should just take it at their word? 0.15mm difference is relatively significant right? go with the bigger stone?

:)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Frenchtoast|1407261783|3726581 said:
you guys are so right.. i need to chill out.... toss a coin or something.. i guess i will not be able to tell too much face up.
im just slightly bothered by the idea of maybe ending up with an H or G-.
GIA D and E isn't an option right now.. and esp not in the cut i want... sure i could get a GIA triple ex and weed them out using hca but i can't be bothered and also, i would have to sacrifice in size. An F si1 would have been great but i haven't had any luck in finding one in the size and quality i would like.

i have called up WF and spoken to both brittany and sheerah who have been lovely and patient.. they assured me it was a true G and will face up very white.. i guess i should just take it at their word? 0.15mm difference is relatively significant right? go with the bigger stone?

:)

I know it's hard, possibly you have a touch of ' analysis paralysis,' we see it often here and it's understandable with a purchase of this magnitude! I think now you have spoken to two WF ladies you could bite the bullet, it isn't an irrevocable decision anyway as you have a good return period. Just think about this, even if you see the stone, love it and seal the deal, try to make sure that little niggling thoughts don't spoil it for you that you keep thinking it's '' yellow.'' If you think that might happen then maybe it might be best to keep looking or buy a GIA graded diamond.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is your answer -

'If you want a stone that is "mind clean" for color, then go colorless. Aim for D or E. It'll affect your price if you keep the other C's the same'.

I have E color and G color stones and they are different, but I would not be happy if they weren't as it cost more money
to get the E.

Go to D, E or F color and lower your carat weight or your clarity. Or else up your budget. Same reason an H or I color costs more than a M or N color.

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

hmm ok! yeah it looks like thats what I'm going to have to do!

However, i did ring up EGL HK and asked the guy if D means Colorless.. and they said yes, D, E, F are all colorless...
so i really should expect the D diamond to be nothing less than a GIA F.. unless the gemologists who work there are seriously colorblind or shady.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock

Frenchtoast|1407387977|3727726 said:
hmm ok! yeah it looks like thats what I'm going to have to do!

However, i did ring up EGL HK and asked the guy if D means Colorless.. and they said yes, D, E, F are all colorless...
so i really should expect the D diamond to be nothing less than a GIA F.. unless the gemologists who work there are seriously colorblind or shady.
Hi there Toast,

I'm afraid there almost seems to be some reluctance on your end to accept what many folks here are saying about different labs' grading standards. Although it is tempting and rational to remark, "I really should expect the D diamond to be nothing less than a GIA F," you have absolutely no guarantee that it would even be that close.

Remember that the reports are representations of the analyses of the stones, not intrinsic qualifications of the stones themselves. If an EGL stone is much, much cheaper, there's a reason for that. Consider this: if they could get a much higher price by getting a report from AGS or GIA, why wouldn't they? There's money to be made by misleading buyers in this regard. Way of the world.

If it's too good to be true, then it is. If the seller insists they're not making any profit, they're lying. If you get something for free, you're the product.

Color seems to be key to you. Stick with GIA or AGS and D-F stones. :wavey:

Frenchtoast

Rough_Rock

Ok but surely the vendor has nothing to gain from this? He will inspect and photograph and video the stone for me, short of doctoring the images... I can't think any of it would be in his favor as he also offers a 30 day no quibble refund... I don't really have anything to lose except time... He would be wasting a lot of effort if I was to send it back...
I think I'd be able to see if the diamond is colourless or not in person and I could also bring it to an appraiser...

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Hi OP, you have a lot of faith and trust in any vendor who is telling you want to hear, it seems. Please be cautious, they are hoping you are not well informed or advised and when you see their diamond offering, you will fall in love with it anyway or not bother to return it. It's like in real estate when the realtor shows you houses that aren't what you asked for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results