shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS 000 - 100% light return?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lenhejo

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.

I was told by a reputable dealer that all AGS 000''s have 100% light return. Basically, brilliance scope, light scope, Isee2 all worthless because a 000 will return 100% of the light. This seems to go against everything I have read on this board.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions.

Thanks!

John-Aaron

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
No diamond no matter how it is cut will have 100% light return.
If I remeber right the best cut are around 60% in direct lighting situations.
There is a huge range of performance within the ags000 range and even ags will be tightening up the range soon.
Id find a different dealer.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Storm rider is correct that no stone has 100% light return. I do not know who is touting this, but they are wrong wrong wrong!

I think the best light returns are MUCH higher than 60% but I do not want to get into a "my numbers are different from your numbers" guessing match, since I am hardly a light scientist.

As stated there is a significant difference even within a stone cut to ideal parameters with many H&A "Steep and Deep" stones not showing nearly as well as a H&A that is cut for maximum beauty, although they will certainly look better than many of the more poorly cut stones that you see. It is amazing how bad an AGS triple 0 cut stone can look if it is done for weight retention.

It sounds to me as if you might want to be talking to someone else for your cut information if this person really believes what they are saying. If they know that they are wrong, that is even more of a reason to be looking somewhere else!

Wink

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There must be some explanation of what that "100%" means - certainly not that no light ever excapes from being reflected by a diamond - that is not an accurate statement. Not all AGS0 are alike either - so saying that "100%" represents the best possible among round brilliants" would not be an accurate statement either.

If the person insists on talking numbers, well... usually such numbers come from some measurement or comparison of sorts. Those 'scopes are meant to produce such measuremets.

Experience is also a great measurement tool, if anything is. So, in absence of any technical demonstration, I bet "100%" means "good enough for me" from the seller's point of view - believe it or not
1.gif

Hope this makes sense...

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
I was just at a B&M retailer around my neighbourhood the other day. They had this branded AGS0 cut stones. I was actually looking at their settings... but I took up their branded diamond just to look at the setting. I noticed that one had much more fire than another. So I just casually commented that one was better cut. The woman jumped at my remark... and said, "No, that can't be! They are both AGS000 for cut, so they are the same!" I spent the next half hour or so educating these people, on why AGS000 does not guarantee consistency, nor does it guarantee quality. They should come to this site and read more... since they are in the business.
3.gif

btw... they had very nice and simple settings.
5.gif

msb2ncsu

Rough_Rock
If I remember reading correctly, isn't AGS revising their Cut standard this next year too?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No properly cut diamond will have 100% light return. A mirror might, but who'd want a diamond to look like a plain mirror? Saying a finely cut diamond returns the correct balance of light with scintillation and pattern, makes way more common sense and is far more correct.

Not all AGS 000 are equal and I am pleased so many people are aware of this. There are few AGS 000 dogs because cutters are pretty smart, but every once in a while there is one that proves that the cutter was going for maximum weight, and AGS 0 at the lowest possible quality of cut to still get the high AGS cut grade.

Because the secret is out, fewer diamonds are cut that way than once was the case. The new system from GIA or AGS will further erode the odd cut, not super stone, from getting a top grade. It is way past due.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 6/24/2004 2:01:46 PM oldminer wrote:

Because the secret is out, fewer diamonds are cut that way than once was the case. The new system from GIA or AGS will further erode the odd cut, not super stone, from getting a top grade. It is way past due.
----------------
Does anyone have a definitive view on when this will occur? I keep reading about it and would love to see it happen sooner rather than later.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't know exactly when, but not more than a year from now seems likely. SOmetimes when you get what you asked for, you are not completely happy with the end result. I know the big labs want to do a good job before the plans are released, but I'd bet there are going to be some upset folks when it does come out. Not everyone will get the results they were planning on.

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
Not 100% light return unless it's the retroreflector cut. Very rare indeed.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/24/2004 3:47:40 PM oldminer wrote:

I don't know exactly when, but not more than a year from now seems likely. SOmetimes when you get what you asked for, you are not completely happy with the end result. I know the big labs want to do a good job before the plans are released, but I'd bet there are going to be some upset folks when it does come out. Not everyone will get the results they were planning on.----------------

dave,
there will be some very upset consumers when they wake up one of these days their 0 cut is no longer a 0 cut. any hint of what the new 0 cut range will be?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some of the "steep and deep" stones will be not so well graded. I am willing to bet that stones like the one you just had cut will be just fine!

Wink

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/24/2004 8:15:06 PM Wink wrote:

Some of the 'steep and deep' stones will be not so well graded. I am willing to bet that stones like the one you just had cut will be just fine!

Wink----------------

wink,
yeah, i got a similiar repsonse from paul when i asked the question. i guess he's cutting the venus stones today, with the specifications that it will still be a 0 cut when the new grade system comes out. what an improvement on that recut. the original sarin report he sent, had a combination of 33.9 crown and 40.8 pav. ags report has it at 34.1 and 40.8. never find two that matches identical with these sarins.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well they say that they will be within .02 of a percent, and they are...

One of the good things about Paul having the Sarins and other reports done by a third party is that there is never any question of him doing the report two or three or four times until it reads what you want.

I once had one of the "cheap" Sarins, only $5,000. I could get one stone to read anywhere from an AGS 5 to an AGS 0 depending on how I held my breath when taking the report. I sent it back. For 5k I want something that works consistently!

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results