shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on picking a diamond

nimbuz

Rough_Rock
Good day everyone. After deciding to propose, I have been doing readings and found it amazing how much is there to learn about diamonds! I am in need on some advice on selecting a diamond as the center piece on a halo setting ring...

After reading the forums, I realized the most important aspect of a diamond is CUT and tried to look for best cut/ASET image diamonds on WhiteFlash. While adjusting my budget (7-9k max) and came with the following result:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3114533,3508584,3472242,3488747

My question is, should I go for higher carat at expense to color? Will the difference in color be negligible on a halo setting or will a better color diamond be more beneficial?

Also, out of curiosity, can someone explain to me why is there such a big price difference between the following two diamonds? Is it just the color?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3114533,3449648

Thanks to all in advance.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color is subjective, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said if it's going in a halo I'd stay H/I or above.

The second 2 you asked about - the differences are due to color (K vs H) as well as cut - the K got an excellent from AGS whereas the H got an ideal.

You're kind of all over the map... color differences, sizes, etc. Have you looked for eye-clean SI1's? That would allow for some increase in size while still staying in budget. Try to look for G/H, maybe I - a J might show too much contrast in a halo (for my taste. I have a J solitaire and love it, though!)

Ex: Eye-clean H SI1 - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3172009.htm

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
ecf8503|1438294260|3909200 said:
Color is subjective, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said if it's going in a halo I'd stay H/I or above.

The second 2 you asked about - the differences are due to color (K vs H) as well as cut - the K got an excellent from AGS whereas the H got an ideal.

You're kind of all over the map... color differences, sizes, etc. Have you looked for eye-clean SI1's? That would allow for some increase in size while still staying in budget. Try to look for G/H, maybe I - a J might show too much contrast in a halo (for my taste. I have a J solitaire and love it, though!)

Ex: Eye-clean H SI1 - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3172009.htm

+1 on the recommended option!

I've always purchased G colors (a nice white for the $$) but got an I color this time. I can see the I's light ivory color in some lights but it's usually white.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup,... :wacko: :lol: G/H- VS2/SI1 is a nice combo.. ;))

nimbuz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for point it out how scrambled I've been. It made me realize that I really needed to speak to my significant other again to get some more ideas... She has always complimented the diamond sizes of others so I always thought carat was important but after some digging recently, to my surprise, it seems that carat size isn't the most important factor to her but rather she prefers sparkler and clearer diamond!

After this new info, I did some search down in CT size to ~1 carat and ranged higher the color and clarity and came with the following:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3508583,3508584,3508585

It seems like they come from same batch and I have requested a diamond adviser from WF to look at them personally, but just wanted to know what you guys think of the 3. Any comments or advice appreciated again!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nimbuz|1438378833|3909558 said:
Thanks for point it out how scrambled I've been. It made me realize that I really needed to speak to my significant other again to get some more ideas... She has always complimented the diamond sizes of others so I always thought carat was important but after some digging recently, to my surprise, it seems that carat size isn't the most important factor to her but rather she prefers sparkler and clearer diamond!

After this new info, I did some search down in CT size to ~1 carat and ranged higher the color and clarity and came with the following:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3508583,3508584,3508585

It seems like they come from same batch and I have requested a diamond adviser from WF to look at them personally, but just wanted to know what you guys think of the 3. Any comments or advice appreciated again!

Sparkles and clarity have nothing to do with color. They have to do with cut and well, clarity.

I think you should go with the eye-clean SI1 H that ecf recommended. Here are my thoughts. Unless your girlfriend has looked
at well cut AGS000 or well cut GIA stones then you are not comparing apples to apples. The stones most people see in mall stores
are not well cut and are not graded by AGS/GIA so you need what they consider a D/E/F to show up half way decently white. In a well
cut stone that is graded by AGS/GIA , G/H face up pretty white. As others have said, color is subjective but you need to make sure
you are comparing apples to apples.

Size of stones...almost everyone notices bigger sizes. As long as it faces up decently white (G/H) most people do not notice the color.

There's my 2 cents...

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333 said:
nimbuz|1438378833|3909558 said:

Sparkles and clarity have nothing to do with color. They have to do with cut and well, clarity.

I think you should go with the eye-clean SI1 H that ecf recommended. Here are my thoughts. Unless your girlfriend has looked
at well cut AGS000 or well cut GIA stones then you are not comparing apples to apples. The stones most people see in mall stores
are not well cut and are not graded by AGS/GIA so you need what they consider a D/E/F to show up half way decently white. In a well
cut stone that is graded by AGS/GIA , G/H face up pretty white. As others have said, color is subjective but you need to make sure
you are comparing apples to apples.

Size of stones...almost everyone notices bigger sizes. As long as it faces up decently white (G/H) most people do not notice the color.

There's my 2 cents...

Tyty is giving you good advice. How sparkly and brilliant a diamond is depends on how well cut it is, not the color. I think if you go with a G or an H at a VS2, you're in really good shape. If size was a priority you could go to an eye clean SI1 to balance out your budget. A G or H ACA diamond from WF will be very sparkly and bright.

Good luck!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A no brainer for me. The .94ct have all my dream specs!... :love: small table on a high crown + a lower girdle of 76% + under 62% total depth ... :love: :appl:

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
UrsTx|1438302280|3909252 said:

+1 on the recommended option!

I've always purchased G colors (a nice white for the $$) but got an I color this time. I can see the I's light ivory color in some lights but it's usually white.
for me . . . I would not purchase this H SI1 diamond when you see the AGS report the clarity "is based on clouds not shown"

I would prefer http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3328836.htm#

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results