shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on maevona settings with a princess cut

dexter77

Rough_Rock
hey guys, back with more questions...
I''ve pretty much decided on an about 1 carat princess cut...
I''m liking the maevona danna with it: http://www.maevona.com/ring/15/Danna

what do you guys think of this?
I mostly like the way that the shank separates right there at the stone in a really clean way... do you guys maybe know of any other settings that have that same kind of split? I''m not really into pave or halos or any of that, just a clean design with that split in it... thank you so much!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it would look great with a princess cut! What is your budget for the princess? Check out GOG (signatures and Solasferas) and WF (ACAs and ES)

dexter77

Rough_Rock
I''m lucky enough to know someone looking to sell the diamond for a great price... so now I just have to worry about the setting!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Oh ok...the setting looks great. What are the stats on the diamond?

Also is this what your GF wants? I thought before you were looking at ECs...that is a very different look!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 11:01:05 PM
Author: dexter77
I''m lucky enough to know someone looking to sell the diamond for a great price... so now I just have to worry about the setting!
I don''t want to be a party pooper but what seems like a great price might not be once we dig under the covers. Do you want to share the specs and grading report? Also, price if you are comfortable.

dexter77

Rough_Rock
I actually don''t have the specs yet, other than the carat size, but I''ll be seeing it in person this weekend... and it will be a bit of a pass/fail thing (either I''ll love it or hate it) definitely I''ll need to see some certification on it first though... I''m hoping for an I or better color and no visible inclusions, but basically if it catches my eye the right way and is certified, I''ll be a happy customer... it is already in a setting but it is channel set prong, so I''ll just be looking at the diamond... that danna setting has really won me over... and the switch from emerald/asscher to princess had to do with seeing them in person for the first time today... what a difference... I still LOVE the asscher cut but I will get it down the road in a large gemstone so I can truly appreciate the cut (and still afford a mortgage)... it just feels like princess is the best bet for me...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
have you seen well cut princess stones before? perhaps if you have a Jared''s nearby look at their AGS0 princesses before going to look at this one...you just don''t want to be pressured because you think it is a good deal, and then come to find out it is not...

dexter77

Rough_Rock
the stone I saw yesterday was a well cut princess, and I will be viewing this other diamond in "regular" lighting (not at a store), so if it comes close to the other in impressing me I will be happily surprised, I''m definitely going in with a grain of salt though... I''m just happy to have settled on a cut finally and if I need to keep looking for the right one, I will... now I just need to get more opinions on that setting with a princess cut... thank you all for all of the help!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try to look at it under different lighting conditions to make sure it is a well balanced stone. Is you GF into more modern looking
jewelry? The setting you pick is very unique which may be a good or a bad thing. You know your GF best and whether she might
enjoy wearing that type of setting.

Edit - BTW, I do like the setting but I would never pick it for me.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like that setting very much, but I think it might need to be adapted for a princess: if you look at the prongs, they''re perfect for making a round into a square, but I think if you just set a princess in there as is, you might run the risk of making it look smaller. On the other hand, that setting would totally rock for a square stone with clipped corners, like an asscher or a princess of hearts ....

P.S. - Big ditto for Charmy, Slg47, and TyTy - in addition to the precautions you''re already taking, I''d suggest you maybe meet at an appraiser''s to be sure that the stone you''re seeing and the stone you''re seeing a certificate for are the same stone (and, so if you go to an appraiser *later* and something doesn''t match up, so you''re not accused of having made a switch yourself ....)

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
I love MaeVona settings. Someday, I must own one, in rose gold.

The princess: For the first inspection, you could take notes on the "typical" dimensions of the AGS princess diamonds in that ct range, then you can compare that to the dimensions on the cert and maybe take a clear plastic ruler with you and measure mm diameter.

If that princess is mounted, be sure that you get to see it unmounted before you actually buy. The appraiser or a jeweler should be able to do that. The corners often crack or ship, and that can cause a fracture to travel back into the part of the stone that *is* visible when mounted. If the price is really low, I'd check those corners carefully.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results